In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mousecapades, I'm Over It. -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Every fall, the field mice think they can take over my house. I'm pretty sure they are getting in via the flexible ductwork for my AC/Heat under the house. (I can not access it, too little space to get in there.)

I've been using Old School traps, (the best) and have about 11 Neurotoxin bait stations scattered throughout my 1st floor. (One in the Jeep, after discovering a nest in the glovebox.) It's maddening. I do not seem to be making any progress. I see scat outside each of the 11 bait stations and can see they are eating it. Each block, advertises it can kill 12 mice.

I'm over it.

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******

Think they smell your ham

• Options

You need a couple cats and/or snakes.

• Options

Snakes go to ground in the cold weather. Buddy refers to Cat's as "Tender Vittles." (A No Go.)

Hams are hanging from the open beams in my living room edge, at the 1 1/2 floor level.

I'm gonna be like the guy (about 10-15 years ago,) that shot his trailer full of holes from the inside.

Aaarrrggghhh....................................................................

• Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭

This is what you need:

That stuff works, just make sure your dog can't get to the dead mice or eat the bait.

Merc

• Options

Pretty sure that's what I've got @merc. 4 bait stations per $8, ea. advertised to kill 12 mice per block/bait station. Not an anticoagulant, a neurotoxin. I've put them all where Buddy can not access them. (Like he cares anyway.) I've been hesitant to use poisons due to Buddy getting a hold of a dead mouse. (I seriously doubt he would eat one anyway.) He eats pretty good, since I work in the Meat dept of a major grocery chain. 😁

Plus, he is either in his cage while I am work, or lounging in "his" recliner when not outside, while I am home. (If not "mock" attacking me.) Sleeps on the bed with me at night. (Pressed up against me.)

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭

That's what we use out in the chicken and various sheds

Works great find dead rats and mice a few days after setting it out

Actually buying more tomorrow

Not suppose to hurt dogs, cats or skunks my wife's unofficial residents lol

A similar compound was/ is used as a blood clot med in humans

• Options

I might buy a bucket, and start tossing chunks under the house. Thanks for the links. 👍

So Totally Over this Mouse issue, every fall. 😠

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

For effective rodent control you need a rotation of several different bait types over the course of several months . Much like bacteria developing an immunity to a medicine , rats will do the same to poisons. Rotate your poison type every 2 or 3 weeks ..

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

One thing I keep intending to try is the bucket half full of water with a balance board and bait tons of how to on the internet

Can't hurt to try it cheap and effective ?

But like you brought up in the winter a bucket of ice would not have the desired effect lol

• Options

Old school traps are the best.

Just caught/killed one on an Old School trap. About 15-20 minutes after putting 4 out with bread bait.

Take that you bastage. 😁

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭

Dude, fess up, you had a crush on Annette that you are never getting over.... Just like the rest of us that old.

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

i put one of the pail traps with the tipping part in my barn to keep the #$%^&*() out of the lawn mower engine ,first 5 days had 10 in the bucket the next week i had 6 third week none but the peanut butter on the ramp was touched

• Options

Old School traps got another one overnight. It wasn't pretty, flopped around. (Caught him by the nose.) Still alive in the am. Both recent catches were young immature ones.

More satisfying than the poison bait. You see results. Can't see results with the poison. Probably very effective though.

It's gonna be War now. I'm fed up. Bring it Mouse Boy/Girl. Got something for you.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

I use the poison bait called Ramik, it comes in a bar form. I keep it in the pole barn all year round, and use traps baited with cheese in the house and garage, again all year long. I try and keep them whittled down all year that way their not so bad come fall. I don’t like using poison in the house account they can get in between the walls after they eat it die and begin to stink.

Did have a possum get into the poison once and went under the porch, and it will kill them, again stinking after a day or so. I just plugged the opening after that so they couldn’t get under the porch anymore.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭

I use these with a smear of peanut butter. The holes hold the bait and I only rarely have to rebait the traps. So far, the mice don't seem to have a preference for smooth or crunchy. 😀 Bob

• Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭✭

The rats come for our bird feeder... Because of our dogs, cats and the wildlife (owls live in the old creamery) we don't use poison... I started with a Red Ryder I hit them but I don't kill them, I don't think. My dad upgraded to a pump air pistol we both get with it but I still don't know if there dying 🥺 now I'm waiting for a Meriden 10 so I can shoot shorts. They look at us like you were our family! You took care of us!

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Rat sized sticky traps with a small dollop of peanut butter in the center along baseboard areas, backs of cabinets and throw a handful of mothballs in the crawl space and attic to dissuade encroachment. Or, just build them their own heated house. 😆

You could completely empty the cabinet under your kitchen sink and cover it with sticky traps. That's where they always seem to gain access to my house. If the little buggers are still alive when you find them stuck just proceed to the nearest commode and hold their heads under until the bubbling stops. 😈

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,379 ******

Peanut butter quit being of any interest to all the mice that come into my house these days. I have no idea why, but I now use the Victor traps with a chunk of bologna stuck tightly into the metal bait keeper. I cannot believe the results I have gotten with it!! Them buggers are carnivores!

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

I thought this was gonna be a post about Disney.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭

Yup, old fashioned Victor traps with creamy PB.

• Options

Ya! But @Ricci.Wright, did you not read that Ken had meeses in his glove box? 😁 and just where is poor Buddy going to sleep? 😁

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Ken, i think Dcon makes a trap with small cup in center of trigger-----all black plastic trap-------use peanut butter in cup. Never seen a mouse steal bait on this one. Easy to set with a real hair trigger. Fool proof.

Also probably on u-tube several diff designs with stick running thru bucket. The little buggers slip, fall and drown !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!------------------Ray

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******

Have you tried moving?

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    tnrangertnranger Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

My mechanic recommended spraying with peppermint oil after a critter attack on my daily driver Camry cost me several hundred dollars. Said it worked for him. I also tried it in some cabinet drawers where I was beginning to have my annual winter problem - seems to be working so far. Annoying side effect is the place smells like peppermint

• Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Seems like you guys never heard of the "peanut butter wheel of death". All you need is a 5 gallon bucket, a 2 or 3 pound coffee can, some coat hanger wire, a yardstick or piece of wood lath for the access ramp & some peanut butter for bait. Water or anti-freeze for the dispatching medium. No resetting, just dump out the dead critters periodically (they never do get any of the bait).

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭

I have had a small tray of D-con on each side of my garage door for years, seems I only catch the left leaning mice. the tray on the left is empty about every month or two, I have yet to put any in the tray on the right. Don't know what I will do before long the little bucket of pellets is just about gone I use to refill the trays and you can't find the small pellets of Dcon any more around here.....

• Options

Okay @toad67/Todd, that was the 1st photo/response I saw when I just got home from work. I LOL'd. 😂🤣

@Ricci.Wright, I knew I could count on you for a "helpful" suggestion. 🤔

@4205raymond, I had a couple of those, (we sold them at work.) Baited with peanut butter. Never caught a thing. (Plus throwing them away w/one mouse, makes em' expensive.) Threw them away after a couple months.

• Options

Ken, don't think we are talking about same trap. There is a cup below trigger about size of dime for peanut butter and protrudes thru trigger, You don't throw it away just squeeze it and mouse drops out and set for next one. Trust me, I use them in my Va home that is infested at times, especially this time of year and they work every time. Beauty is they are easy to set and catches the young mice that are light because it has a hair trigger and they can't steal the bait. --------------------------------Ray

• Options

In addition to the mice that are dying via my 11 Neurotoxin traps scattered in key locations, my "Old School" traps have got 3 in roughly 24 hours. The worst one's, those that think they can get up on my Kitchen counters. Bye Felicia.

2 of the 3, were "young mice." (These are hair trigger traps.)

@4205raymond, pics?

• Options

Ken, when i have time will try to find one on internet for you. Heck, don't even know if they still make them. Don't know if I will ever make it back to Va. again with my wife being so sick, My good friend and neighbor drained my pipes this year.

I have been known to polish up trigger on the old Victor traps and put a little Vaseline on them. Careful there, don't catch your finger. Desperate men do desperate things.-----Ray

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Ken, found that mousetrap. It is item #164755361006 on Fleabay. -------- sanitary, safe, reusable, mouse trap. $8.29 for a six pack. Never failed me and they won't steal your peanut butter.-----------------------Ray

• Options

Old School traps caught one per day for 3 days. (The worst of them.) Those that thought it was okay to get up on my Kitchen counters. Uhh......................No. 😠 (No trap caught Mice, in 3 days now.)

Between the Old School traps and my 11 Neurotoxin bait stations, (☠) I believe I am taking them to task. They are losing. 👍

• Options

Good work there @KenK/84Bravo! Just remember the job will never end!

😲