In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Green Bean Casserole Tips - (Recipe) Happy Thanksgiving All

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2023 in General Discussion

Since my Mom passed not too long ago, I am going to the local Holler, get together this year, after not going, when invited for 6+ years.

I'm bringing Shrimp for Shrimp Cocktail apps, a couple lbs of Snow Crab to steam and I have been tasked to bring a Green Bean Casserole dish. I'm planning on three cans of French style green beans (drained) a can of Golden mushroom soup, a can of Broccoli Cheese soup, two thin sliced Portabella Mushrooms and topped with breaded Fried onions.

Smoker @225° for 2-3 hours.

What am I missing? Recommendations/Tips appreciated.

*1/2 to 2/3rd cup 1/2 and 1/2 for the soup? About a 1/3 stick of real butter?

Comments

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I like it and (apparently)others do as Well, since I have been asked to bring it.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭

I can find no fault in your recipe.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,269 ******

They usually have it on the can of soup...at least Campbell cream of mushroom often does.. I don't put any cheese in mine, but each to their own I guess.

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the Masonic Green Bean Casserole:

1 pound pork sausage - 1 Vidalia type onion finely chopped - 1 can, condensed cream of mushroom soup - 3/4 cup sour cream - 1 can green beans, liquid reserved - your choice of shredded cheese, enough to cover the top of the casserole - 1 pound frozen potato nuggets cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch chunks - and - fried onion package for topping - Italian seasoning to taste.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat - cook and stir the pork sausage until browned and crumbly - drain grease. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent. Combine condensed soup, sour cream and reserved green bean liquid in a bowl - Italian seasoning to your taste preference. Set sauce aside.

Add green beans to the cooked pork sausage and onions - mix and transfer to a casserole dish. Top with shredded cheese and frozen potato nugget bits. Pour sauce over the top and add the fried onions from the package.

Bake in the preheated oven until the potato bits are browned and the dish is bubbly - about an hour.

Best Regards - AQH

Thank You, Brother AQH. The Sour Cream is a great idea, instead of 1/2 & 1/2. Will definitely use that. Will look into the sausage and browned onion incorporated to it. Sounds good.

I appreciate the suggestion's, Sir.

Looked in the fridge, realized I have about 4 packs of Jimmy Dean, link breakfast sausage, and the Sour Cream. Will dice up two pkgs of the breakfast sausage, brown with onion and add to the mix. (OP Recipe.) Thank You for the suggestion.

edited November 2023
    1. "Green bean casserole is not even in a food group. Don" - Obviously he has never eaten a meal at a Masonic Lodge. What do you think the "G" between the square and compasses is for???
    2. You can 'smash' the sausage link bits up if you like or leave then 'chunky' as you see fit.
    3. Because of the cooked onion and fried onion shreds - you might want the distance yourself from the other guests - depending on the speed of their digestive system.
    4. See #3 above - this is why a tiled Lodge meeting doesn't last more than an hour.

Best Regards - AQH

Thank you, Steve.

Excellent suggestions, on what to incorporate into the dish.

Will Air Fry the Sausage bits, before incorporating it into the Casserole.

I think it will be excellent.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,154 ******

Add pepper, not to taste, but to color.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Most searched recipe this time of years said my tv

• chmechme Member Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭✭

Little Worcestershire sauce and black pepper.

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,683 ✭✭✭✭
  • waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds good. If I were to add anything I would maybe fry up a couple pieces of bacon and then cut up into small pieces and add to the beans.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,174 ******

Ken, make sure you test your Jimmie Dean sausage for salt content! The last stuff from that place was too salty and ruined my turkey dressing!!

I favor using whole green beans for my casserole. The French cut ones turn to mush when cooking. I also add Frenches dry fried onions into the mix as well as saving a bunch of them for the topping.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭

If you like it that's all that counts I understand trying a variation or comparing recipes wish you the best

My wife and her family always made it my wife still does and every one brags about it . And I have no idea what or how she prepares it

As for me I have never taken the first bite of any

I just never thought it was some thing I would like now after 66 yrs no need to start now

I can appreciate the French Style green beans turning mushy when cooked this way, comment. I've only really ever had this dish with French style green beans. (But) I prefer my veggies al dente. What would you think about using Seasoned Italian style green beans instead?

I will be using the OP recipe, but add Jimmy Dean diced/chopped up (links) air crisped breakfast sausage, some crumbled bacon and sour cream instead of any type of liquid (1/2 & 1/2 etc) for the cream style soups. Several pats of butter. Cooked in the smoker for 2-3 hours at 225°. Large glass Pyrex casserole dish.

I appreciate all the tips. 👍😁

• grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭✭

GBC is definitely a Masonic standard! I've eaten it prepared more ways than I can remember because everyone has their own recipe. We have a Past Grand Master who abhors "the beans of green", so when he visits, we serve purple hull peas and cornbread.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭

Do you have to give each bean a secret handshake and vow to never reveal their crimes?

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

Never heard of the "Tater Tot," addition. What would you think of some dried shredded Hash Browns over the top, before going in the Smoker. (Soak them in Hot water/salt before going on top,) before adding the dish to the Smoker. A layer of Shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese over the top, towards the end.

I'm thinking, I'm gonna rock this.

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,269 ******

I'm thinking I'm glad I for the most part follow the original recipe on the soup can for mine.... but you do you, I'm sure it will make some sort of impression to the folks that try it.... 🤣

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭✭

Can't think of anything that could be added to it that would entice me to eat it . Looks like it has already been eaten once and didn't stay down

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 599 ✭✭✭✭

What pulsarnc said.

Casseroles and possum food seem to come to mind.

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,812 ✭✭✭✭

Who makes apps for shrimp cocktail?

Also couple of pounds of snow crab would barely get me started. Yeah I'll be that guy asking "what?" as I grab the whole pile.

Kept it simple :

32 oz can of Italian green beans, 12 Jimmy Dean Sausage links (diced) a sweet onion diced, sausage and onion put in the Air Fryer until crisp/browned. Two Portabella mushrooms thin sliced, one can of Cream of Shiitake/Cremini Mushroom soup, a dollup of sour cream, 2/3 a bag of fried/breaded onions, about 1/4 bar of Butter. All mixed up/incorporated. Gonna go in the smoker here shortly. 200-225° for a couple three hours.

Last 1/3 the bag of breaded/fried onions over the top, lightly brown under the broiler.

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023

Next year substitute bacon for the sausage. Everything's better with bacon!

Have fun today! Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving, Brother Steve.

Best Regards - AQH