In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Well, Isn't That Special -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2023 in General Discussion

Tried calling my Bank to approve a purchase over $400. (ATM limit) Trying to buy a three piece sectional Living room furniture "Black Friday," deal.

Bank Recording - "We're Closed from Wed. until Monday, due to Thanksgiving."

I do not use "Credit Card's," beyond approving purchases in advance on my ATM/Bank Card.

Just flippin' great. Awesome "Service." (I've worked last two Thanksgiving Days, in a row.)

Comments

• danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭

you can get a credit card and pay it off every month and never pay interest

if you so desire

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023

Or, maybe the Companies, I Pay to do "Business," with - could be there, on a couple of the busiest "Shopping," days of the Year? 🤔

I don't want, any type of Credit Card. I've maintained Zero Credit Card debt/balance, for over 10 years. That has not been by accident. I've not even owned one in over 6 years.

Plenty of $$ in the bank. They put the $400 daily limit on purchases. "For My Protection." Great. Then have someone available on busy Shopping Days, to "Approve," purchases, over that amount.

A 5 day "Bank Holiday," on the busiest Shopping days of the year? I've worked the last two Thanksgiving Days in a row. Please.......................................

What do you think those same Bank employees would say, if the Grocery store took a 5 day "Vacation," at Thanksgiving?

• scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭✭

It’s refreshing to see a small business support their employees with a few days off (hopefully with pay) during Thanksgiving/Black Friday. Sorry for your inconvenience and that you had to work Thanksgiving, but given the myriad options to have avoided this situation (larger bank, CC, etc.) I’m on their side.

I'm okay with a couple days off on Holidays, Scooter. (5 days off, is a little excessive.) How difficult would it be to have a couple employees there in order to "approve," purchases? (Then give them time off, later.)

Not very difficult. IMHO

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,111 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023

If the furniture store wouldn't take a check I'd just say "Sorry Charlie" you lost a sale. Businesses in my area love checks, they don't have to pay 3% or whatever processing fees to banks & card companies, I write them all the time.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

edited November 2023

It's not a Local purchase, Junk. (If it were, it would not be a problem.) W/ "Free shipping," (couple hundered $$) plus apprx 46% off, "Black Friday," deal. The saving are substantial. If I could get (My $$) "Approved."

You know, the Company I Pay, in order to do business with, (they have my $$) No one is there, on one of the busiest Shopping days/weekends of the year.

For 5 days.

edited November 2023

Well Don, re-read to title to this thread. 👍

• RossoRacerRossoRacer Member Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

Two options I see.....

1. Carry more cash with you at times like these.
    2. Get a checkbook.
    edited November 2023

It's not a Local purchase, @RossoRacer. (Thanks for contributing though.)

Do you only shop Local, FTF?

Neither do I.

If it was only a matter of "Writing a Check," it would not be a problem.

*I have Cash, Money in the Bank & a Checkbook, Sir. 👍

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023

I ran into a little issue several years ago with my bank limiting my debit card purchasing at 400.00. I went in to my bank and spoke with the branch manager. I explained to her I expected this limit to be raised to a higher number. After some discussion, she saw it my way...

I do understand your stance on Credit Cards Ken..... I have one main one to cover the purchases that have to be made on line or just to give myself a couple weeks before I have to actually pay for it. Every month we have paid the entire balance. We have not paid one cent in interest in over 15 years. It actually is more secure than using your personal debit card.

And there were times it was the only real choice. We chartered a boat for our Son's rehearsal dinner out of State. It made more sense using a credit card and the vendor was satisfied with the process..

edited November 2023

Thank you, @William81.

No way, no how, am I going to open a CC Account, with the predatory Co.'s in play. (Paid off in full, each month or not.) Not gonna happen.

I expect the Co. I Pay, to do business with (and hold on to a substantial amount of my $$) to be available, (not 5 days off, the busiest several days of the year,) in order to conduct business.

You want to cost me several hundered $$, for your lack of CS?

Guess What I will be doing Monday?

(Withdraw mid/high 5 figures.)

Bye Felicia.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭✭

Ken, I applaud you for being credit card debt free but if you will excuse me for saying it, you may be carrying your crusade a bit far. Like others have said, you can use a credit card for those rare times that a debit/ATM card isn't practical and still never pay any interest by paying off the balance each month in full. I would NEVER use a debit card for online purchases. If your number is hacked, it is your money at risk. If a credit card is hacked, it is the credit card companies money at risk. Most debit cards have some protection, but while you are waiting for the bank to straighten it out your bank balance has been effected and those funds aren't available until things are resolved.

O.K. - end of lecture. I do agree that your bank should have had some employees are working today. Bigger banks usually have support for things like that 24/7/365. Bob

Unbelievable, the # of people that, (seem to be) are okay, with Big Brother/Banks, controlling access to your own $$.

Yeah. Go open a CC account. 🙄

I expect access, to my $$. Not a 5 day Vacation, on the busiest weekend of the year. (Costing me $$, by not having my $$, available to me.)

I do not use Credit. I expect to have access, to my $$. (Not a 5 day "Vacation.") On the busiest Shopping Weekend of the year.

They (the Bank) are making plenty of $$, Just sitting on my $$. ($30 for a re-order of Checks, on top of that.) Sorry, I have about ZERO sympathy.

This discussion has been closed.