In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pearl Harbor Day

wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭

Let us not forget all the brave sacrifices made on this day by the many who gave all for our country.

Comments

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

We visited Pearl this summer. The time we spent on the USS Arizona Memorial is something I hope I will never forget.

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭

Agree with OP and thank our founding fathers for the Second Amendment.

Remember Yamamato saying " A rifle in every home...."

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

"A rifle behind every blade of grass."

Have been watching various Specials so far today. (A Military Historian from way back.) Here is a question for you, how did the Japanese Mini Submarines get there? (To Pearl.) Piggyback on other Subs? Etc.

One of the 1st "Alerts," was one getting spotted coming in to Pearl, by a US Ship. There is also evidence 2-3 made it inside the harbor and launched torpedoes. (One famous photograph.)

Question for those who might know.

• ROY222ROY222 Member Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I read that there is only one sailor left from the Arizona.

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

A total of 334 crewmembers survived the USS Arizona sinking. Forty four of them have chosen to be interred on the USS Arizona upon their death.

• Only USS Arizona survivors can be interred on the USS Arizona. Pearl Harbor survivors can have their ashes scattered over Pearl Harbor. The urns of the deceased are placed in the well of barbette no. four.

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭

Depends, but sources say the yare only 2-6 military people left here today that was at Pearl. My brother who was at pearl when hit, passes away in 1990 about's. RIP Jake Tannahill USN.

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭

Here is a piece of history for you. After the bombing of Pearl Harbor most people are under the illusion that it was a unanimous decision to go to war with Japan, it was not. Jennette Rankin was a United States congress woman ( the first woman elected to congress) that voted not to go to war with Japan.

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭✭

A neighbor lived thru that. He passed 12 years ago. He took me under his wing like I was one of his kids. REALLY miss that old guy. God Bless.