In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Boaring hunt

roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,090 ✭✭✭✭
Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,803 ******

Great pictures there, thanks for sharing them. Heck yeah !!!!

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,149 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like you are going to have a pork feast. We used to smoke a wild hog ham on pecan wood, in central Georgia. Ten hours of that, it is the best meat I ever ate.

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

Thats not hunting, thats shooting and a darn good way to do it.

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,516 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a great time...thanks for sharing the pics

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,244 ***** Forums Admin

Nice, looks like a good time!

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭

I like the rustic metal ceiling panels.

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,692 ✭✭✭✭

I saw what you did there🤣

great pics.

Are you in New Mexico? I know some guys who kill Texas hogs, and they say they don't taste good. Georgia wild hogs are delicious.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty dang nice "Hunting Cabin."

Looks like a great time. (What kind of weapons, were you using?)

Thanks for sharing pics. 👍

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,159 ******

Very nice! Looks like a load of fun to me.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,090 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

We used mainly bolt guns. Remington Model Sevens I shoot a 7-08 120 gr fusion bullet. It was an epic hunt. Others using Model 700 in 270 win. the host had a old sks in 7.62x39 he only takes head shots... the hogs had yellow fat where they had been eating the deer corn.

im in roswell ga we were in south ga

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,842 ✭✭✭✭

My fear of hunting hogs is that I may connect with a big pig and I'll have to drag it out by my lonesome. Maybe I'll take one of those "ranch" hunts with ride service? Then again I'll need solid copper rounds. Stupid California condors.

My buddy shot a 410 pound boar. Inedible. We stuck to the 95 pound sows. Delicious.

@bullshot, Model Gorgeous.

Just Gorgeous.

The hog is not bad either. 🤔

• bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

Thanks, she is a model. They were on location photo shoot for Real Tree, at some point they came across this thing and hey, they had all the equipment so she took the bow shot.

Hog was killed in central Florida.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 599 ✭✭✭✭

Speaking of large wild boar hogs.

My son would bring them info his his Hispanic farm workers to eat.

They would not even touch the critter. Now sows, that is another story

We were quartering the 410 pound boar, we noticed the meat smelled bad. We just ground up 3 pounds of sausage for a test. When we were cooking sausage patties, it stunk up the kitchen so bad we had to leave the kitchen.

No way we were going to eat that sausage. We threw the sausage patties out into the yard, the dog let out a howl and ran to the other side of the yard. The dog wouldn't touch it.

.Given the choice to do it again i would pick a medium sized one and just pit cook it in the ground Pigs are dirty and compared to cleaning a deer this was a tough job .. i worked hard for the resulting 10 pounds of meat

Best meat hogs are right around 80 lbs.

edited December 2023

The "feral" hogs have not quite made it in to our area. (Butchdog3) I believe has indicated they are in his area. Very close by. (20 mi. or so.) [Only a matter of time.] Apparently.

Re-reading your posts, how did you only get "10 lbs of meat?" 🤔

I knew some fellas that would trap them, take them back to the farm and feed them corn for a couple of weeks and then ............................ well you know, they stop being pigs and magically become ham, chops and bacon and stuff.

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭✭

Hogs raised for commercial applications, i.e. that get turned into bacon are all castrated within several days of birth . Meat from mature boars is generally unedible due to hormones.

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 

84 we did have a short term infestation about 2 miles from here. Bunch of disgruntled hunters trapped about 30 in SC and dumped then on posted land. Needles to say after 4 months we got them eradicated. Them suckers get smart real quick.

Talk about destroying a field of christmas trees, they would root the trees over looking for grubs and such.

Last one was ambushed by a neighbor, hog was in her seedling patch. She broke out the ole thurty thurty, DRT.

allen griggs - Was that boar "taint"? I remember reading a old male boar has a tendency to be how do we say "fragrant".

Yes taint, taint fit to eat. That 's hillwilliam slang.

• Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

They do take the boaring out of the hunt. When the deer are not moving we hog hunt.

Burned quite a bit of Black Powder recently. Really not a good thing having only one shot and some of them old big mean sows in the bunch. I watch for a tree to climb before I shoot. I had to climb a tree once when a big sow with bunch of little pigs charged me to protect her little ones. I throwed the gun down and climbed fast.

Adds new meaning to the term 'LIVING HIGH ON THE HOG"

When the mexicans and other foreigners won't eat them feral hogs that sends me a message.

But Biden has also spoiled them people with all free stuff. Them foreigners are also living high on the hog in the sanctuary cities, thanks mostly to Joe and Hillary building bridges instead of fences.

Joe and Hillary don't seem to know that good fences make good neighbors.

Joe needs a Redneck as his advisor and communications director.

Okie743  - I was glancing the front page of New York Time there one can see the "migrants" covered in mud taking selfies before the invasion. It's just a vacation with cash and prizes when they get to the US. Make me glad I don't have kids that are gonna be SCREWED!!!

Pig weighed 100 pounds

hide weighed 20

bones, hooves and head weighed 50

guts weighed 10

i cooked the 20 pounds and it shrunk to about 15 … cut off the fat

I’m not shooting any more pigs unless I have a deer down …

personally I think they should all be shot on site, big , little, but the host at this deer camp likes them around? Thing was there were 4 piggies trying to suckle my downed sow and I could have shot 4 for 1…

The best part was I had a dream last night that EBoydell was on the hunt and was shooting pigs with a flamethrower to singe of the hair. There were pigs on fire running all around.

roswellnative - Ah the "Live" weight. That throws so many people off.

So a 100 pounder basically becomes a family of 5 size pig. 6 if you made headcheese, liverwurst and boned out trotters. I guess that's why most people I know have sausage made out of them.

edited December 2023

I shot several 100 pound hogs, and the hams weighed about 10 pounds each. The shoulders were nearly as big. Then there's the backstrap. 30 to 40 pounds of meat on a 100 pound hog.

Counting the hogs my buddies shot, I have processed a dozen hogs in the 100 pound category, never got less than 30 pounds of meat from a 100 pound piggie.

A ten pound wild hog ham on the smoker for 10 hours, over pecan wood, mmmmm good.

^^^^^^^^^^ I've been trying out a new (to me) Sleep drug for my Insomnia. Trazadone. Sleep is still so/so, (but) the dreams I had last night, were like an acid trip. I woke up sweating. Finally got out of bed (gave up) around 4 am. 😢