In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Kaboom at the range today !!!!

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,509 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2023 in General Discussion

Headed over to the range today to fire a few rounds and hang out with some friends...I had finished and had talked briefly with a young man in the next lane. He commented on the some of the groups I had shot and told his buddy, "That old guy can shoot" HA..... I only had him by 40 years or so !!!!

As I was getting ready to exit the range, I heard a loud, odd BOOM and checked the young man next to me... He was holding his hand and you could tell it hurt. There was burnt powder all along his hand.. We got his gun set down and I checked him over...he said his face hurt but I could not see anything. We found the casing and as you can see from the pic below, it blew out the bottom of the rim.

He was shooting a Glock 43X and using remanufactured ammo. I tried to be that kind old guy and explain to him his Glock and all Glocks do not have a full supported barrel. Glock recommends using only factory ammo. He replied this is factory ammo....it is factory remanufactured ammo. I explained the difference and suggested he keep those loads for another firearm. The Range Master joined us and checked the young man out and then looked over his Glock. There did not seem to be any issues with the firearm. It was suggested he contact the manufacturer and tell them of the issue. I shook his hand and told him I was happy the situation did not turn out worse for him......

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,792 ******
    edited December 2023

Good gosh. One lucky guy that it was not worse. Glad you were there to assist / advise. Sure hope he heard your words over the ringing in his ears.

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭✭

Marshal Jones owner of Jones Fort, Redding, Ca. has a collection of firearms displayed in his shop that were "blown up". Anyone passing through the area I recommend stopping by. He has an amazing display of interesting items and a full time gun smithing shop.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭

Lucky guy

I did not that about glocks

As I posted in the past I had a 22 rifle fire off with out being completely chambered i was hot with pieces of brass and ringing in my ears i will never for get it

RPG goes bang

I was watching YouTube a couple weeks back when it happened then caught the follow up a couple days ago on what went wrong and how he is doing two ex-militaey guys have a channel they were demonstrating RPG's

One exploded as the guy was firing it off

OMG lucky to be alive is a understatement

I will see if I can find it and post under a different topic

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,683 ✭✭✭✭

Very fortunate young man.

• forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

This was due to insufficient crimp on a .45acp ,,,,,, when the bullet nose struck the frame ramp the bullet pushed back causing a spike in pressure. The shooter might want to check the case mouth diameter of unfired rounds and see if there is a difference when compared to 3/16 to 1/4” behind.

Problems like this can occur when loading mixed brass, due to minor thickness in the case wall. The thinner wall doesn’t grip the bullet as much as a thick wall. And yes, my shooting buddy ended up with minute brass shards in his face.

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

I bet dollars to donuts that was an ammo problem, whether bullet set-back as Forge mentioned or an overcharged case. Glock 9mm's should easily handle 9mm +P pressures. The one's you need to be wary of are the .40s, 10mm, and .357 Sigs due to the high pressure normally found in those cartridges.

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,661 ✭✭✭✭

Excellent point. Using a taper crimp on cases used in auto loading firearms, especially those that headspace on the case mouth is very important. Years ago PERRY SHOOTER had the kaboom happen with a 1911 during a match. The bullets were setting back as they loaded and the overpressure caused the case to fail in the same manner as your photo shows.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭

I had that happen once with a Star 1911 copy. Previous owner had done some 'feed ramp work' creating the unsupported chamber scenario. Blazer aluminum case blew out destroying the magazine and grip panels. I was wearing gloves and only had a sore palm for a couple days.

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,812 ✭✭✭✭

Fear of this is why I have steel core Pachmayr for my Kimber Ultra CDP2 with the aluminum frame. My hand may sting but I ain't gonna have fajitas where my hand used to be.

• roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,090 ✭✭✭✭

Lucky to be in one piece

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,154 ******

I guess Glock does this to their feed ramps to ensure they load all manner of bullet types without hiccup, but their feed ramps are more cut away than a lot of other gun makers that have high reliability with ammo, so I don't understand this about Glock.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭✭
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,501 ******

When I used to load .40S&W, I used only Winchester once fired brass. Occasionally, I would fid some withe guppy bulge. Those would smooth out when sizing. After a learning curve, I started to discard the bulged ones.

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭✭

I had a case blow out in a new Taurus G3C in the first few shots.Got some brass sharpnel in the thumb and face just under my shooting glasses.Sent it back to Taurus service.They sent it back,saying it was repaired but gave no explanation on what the problem was.It stayed in the safe a long time because I was still leary of it. I had someone wanting to buy it.I told him the history of the gun and gave it to him free.

• WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭

I have had 3 Yugo cases blow 1953 ammo a batch was known to have that possibility. Shooting a K98k it meant venting and dirty glasses no big deal in a 98 Mauser. Cases split from the primer flash hole to the base of the shoulder

I had a case rupture much like the above photo in a P229 (M11A-1) no damage no injury but the benefit of a supported chamber likely why, quick clearing and shooting within minutes after a safety check

Glock 40S&Ws have unsupported chambers which basically means either get a die (expensive) to remove the bulge (regular sizer does not get it all), get a case gauge and check each range pickup after sizing or don't pick up brass.

Annoying I can't pickup 40 brass and run it through a Dillon without some ammo being useless. Solution? I don't shoot 40. Well almost. I got a batch of sized 40 cases and did the case gauge throwing away the bulged ones so loaded up 500 for when I pick up a 40 now and then

Annoying Glock chose to design their 40s like this. What could go wrong?

3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭

The problem with just 'swaging' the Glock bulge is: the case has been weakened in that area. If the same area just happens to sit in another chamber not fully supported, the chances of a 'blow out' are increased.

Just another reason to not own a Glock and I don't reload those Glock bulge cases at all.

• forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

This shows typical ‘set back’ from insufficient taper crimp, fortunately the round was never fired.

• WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck