In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1873 32 20 Winchester

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
I need a used 32 20 octagon barrel for a 1873. I have a sewer pipe now and would like one that has rifles all the way. Some pitting expected.

Comments

• Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi, I'm new to the forum so please cut me some slack if my comments are off base in any way.

Now and again I find new replacement parts for '73s using Google with Homestead Parts being the vender that I have had the most luck with. I just checked, new '73 32 WCF octagon barrels are $380 but "Temporarily out of stock." Most other calibers are in stock.

Another good parts source is eBay. There seems to always be folks parting out '73s on eBay which I find offensive, but that's just me. 1873s in 32 WCF are frequently being parted out. You would just need to keep an eye out for a barrel that suits your needs. IMHO there are problems however going this route. You may not get a barrel much better than what you have if the gun is so poor they're parting it out. It most probably won't match the finish on the rest of your gun. And, you will still have steel made for 1800s black powder that will not hold up to lots of smokeless powder rounds.

May I suggest relining your existing barrel. You will retain the original barrel on your gun but with a new bore made of modern steel. I had a 44 WCF '73 relined and am very pleased with it. Randal Redman (http://www.redmansrifling.com/index.htm) did it and I think it was well under $400 including shipping both ways. At the time I think his back log was about 6 months but it was worth it. Everyone I talked to said he is the best.

I could not be happier with the reline, looks and shoots great. Looking at the muzzle there is no visible ring for the relining on mine. The only way you might know it's relined is that for a gun that age and condition the face of the muzzle should be pitted. It was pitted when I sent it to him. Now it's machined perfectly smooth and looks good....too good.

Hope this helps and good luck with your '73.