In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hard to find 30-40 rd 11/16" mag for my AK-47

MLGrlg2015MLGrlg2015 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I am having trouble finding a 30-40 round magazine for my AK-47 because the mag receiver only fits 11/16" size magazines. The standard 1" mags do not fit my gun. I have returned two magazines purchased from other sites because of this problem. My gun still takes the typical 7.62x.39 rounds, but the receiver is such an odd size. Where can I find the magazine sizes I need, or do I have to have them specially made?

Mike

Comments

• KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're probably dealing with one of the "ban era" AK's that were designed to take a single stack 10rd mag and would not accept a standard AK mag. The curve on a single stack AK mag is going to be twice as pronounced so I doubt you'd have much luck in the reliability department. I would have an AK builder replace your receiver with a Nodak-Spud receiver and install a bullet guide, then you can use standard AK mags.
  • ampartsamparts Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of that style gun with the narrow magazine well have standard insides and many importers "opened" up the sheet metal to accept normal magazines. Look at the bottom of the receiver and insure that the sheet metal can be opened up, no need to do anything else up open up the magazine well.
  • KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by amparts
    Most of that style gun with the narrow magazine well have standard insides and many importers "opened" up the sheet metal to accept normal magazines. Look at the bottom of the receiver and insure that the sheet metal can be opened up, no need to do anything else up open up the magazine well.

Except that a lot of those receivers didn't have the bumps to hold the top of the magazine so when you open up the magwell to accept a standard magazine they tend to let the magazine wobble pretty badly. A lot of the earlier "WASR-10" guns were 10rd guns that CAI milled out the magwells on and the magazine fitment is usually crap. A lot of the later conversions had two steel blocks spotwelded to the receiver inside to fix this problem. That is why I generally recommend just replacing the receiver