In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

H&R Sportsman Double Action parts needed

GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
I need a hand with spring (Gun Parts calls this the Lever & Spring) for an early production H&R "SPORTSMAN" Double Action 22 Long Rifle caliber revolver. There is no model number, just H&R Sportsman Double Action on the left side of the barrel. Serial # is L4646. Here are pictures of the part that was in the gun (not working) and the inscription on the left side of the barrel:

[img][/img]DSCF10149.JPG

[img][/img]DSCF10159.JPG

[img][/img]DSCF101312.JPG

I ordered a lever & spring assembly (Part number 1598400E from gun parts corporation ( The only one they have available) and it does not work in this gun. Any help will be appreciated!

Comments

• pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the hand or lever can be difficult to fit, I had sold several of these and had lots of questions and feedback, go slow fitting and only remove metal needed to remove to make it move cylinder to position.

I will check to see if I have any left.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you bend the end of the wire spring outward instead of using it like it is, you might find that it will work. The way it is now, it won't put sufficient tension on the hand to properly turn the cylinder.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
    buttplate
    edited November -1
    in what way does it not work ?
    not enough rotation ?
    too much rotation ?
    no lockup ?
    cylinder locks up before rotation ?
  • GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It does not rotate the cylinder at all.
    edited November -1
    email sent
  • buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunswapper,
    The hand and spring that was removed from your Sportsman is the correct part, and looks good to me. I suspect that the cylinder has been changed out, or the ratchet is severely worn. Does the hand protrude through the blast shield when the barrel is open and the cylinder removed with the hammer cocked in single action? If so, is there spring pressure on the hand when you push it back towards the hammer? Did you change the position of the spring like I mentioned in an earlier post?
    I have restored dozens of these H&R 199 single action, and 999 double action Sportsman revolvers. I have found some to be real difficult to get indexing properly, and the list of reasons why they wouldn't index properly is a myriad of problems. It would take a book to list all the actions I've had to take to get some of them to work properly.
    Good luck!
    buttplate