In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trolling motor question?

DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
edited June 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
I have an Jetco Industries "Electra Pal" trolling motor. It has a plug with o-ring on the lower unit similar to the one on a regular motor for the lower unit lube. I took the plug out and the lower unit is bone dry.

My question is, are electric trolling motors supposed to have lower unit oil? I have 2 other trolling motors and they do not have a plug and do not contain oil that I am aware of. I tried to do a search, but apparently Jetco has been out of business for many years.

Any info much appreciated.[:D]

Comments

• Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't get a response ask the guys on the trolling motors forum on bassboatcentral.com.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DONDALINGER
    I have an Jetco Industries "Electra Pal" trolling motor. It has a plug with o-ring on the lower unit similar to the one on a regular motor for the lower unit lube. I took the plug out and the lower unit is bone dry.

My question is, are electric trolling motors supposed to have lower unit oil? I have 2 other trolling motors and they do not have a plug and do not contain oil that I am aware of. I tried to do a search, but apparently Jetco has been out of business for many years.

Any info much appreciated.[:D]
    There is no oil in the motor section however if it is seperated and you can see gears then yes 90 weight oil.
  • Options
    rancidrancid Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the Electra Pal trolling motors that I am familiar with, the lower unit is the electric motor and does not require oil. The plug on the lower unit could be a drain for condensation or to drain should water get in there. Hope this helps.
    Randy