In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fly fishing

shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
Since we are moving to Comifornia, I need to learn how to fly fish, we will be ultra close to the mountains.

I bought the orvis book, but looking over rods and reels I am still stumped.

I am thinking I need something where I can change spools out and such. But what are good reels without breaking the bank?
How about line? I am guessing I should go with a single taper?
Tippets and leaders? ugh they just all run together, why not a single leader?

Comments

• Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    Since we are moving to Comifornia, I need to learn how to fly fish, we will be ultra close to the mountains.

I bought the orvis book, but looking over rods and reels I am still stumped.

I am thinking I need something where I can change spools out and such. But what are good reels without breaking the bank?
    How about line? I am guessing I should go with a single taper?
    Tippets and leaders? ugh they just all run together, why not a single leader?

I'm a huge Ross Reels fan...
    http://www.rossreels.com/
    Not cheap but worth the $$$$. All models have replaceable spools.

Line- I prefer WF (weight forward) to DT (double taper). The sales guy will try to sell the DT because you can flip it around when one end get beat up but the DT is much easier to cast.

Why leaders and tippets-Only the last couple of feet of a 9 ft. leader are thin enough that the fish don't see it. So rather that putting on a new leader every time out you just keep adding tippet to the end. I fished last week and lost 6 flys, snagged under water, without tippet I would have gone through at least 2 $15 leaders.
  • Options
    ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Agree with Elk. If your just getting started Bass Pro and LL Bean have quality fly fishing outfits at a good price. They usually have it all set up with fly line, backing, and leader. I use a 9ft. 5wt and a 8 1/2ft 7wt. You might want to go up 1 on the fly line. If you buy a 5wt rod/reel spool it with 6wt line. It's supposed to be easier to cast although I haven't done that yet. I use weight forward floating and have an extra spool with a sinking tip line when I need to get the fly down deep in pools. I carry a couple of extra tapered leaders and tippet in my chest pack but I don't think I've ever had to change the leader while fishing but always have to add tippet due to loosing/changing fly's. It's a continous learning process. I've been doing for years and I still feel like a beginner. It's fun and you will get hooked. I just got back from Bass Pro stocking up for a 5 day canoe/camping/smallmouth fishing trip on Memorial Day weekend.
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ljwrench
    Agree with Elk. If your just getting started Bass Pro and LL Bean have quality fly fishing outfits at a good price. They usually have it all set up with fly line, backing, and leader. I use a 9ft. 5wt and a 8 1/2ft 7wt. You might want to go up 1 on the fly line. If you buy a 5wt rod/reel spool it with 6wt line. It's supposed to be easier to cast although I haven't done that yet. I use weight forward floating and have an extra spool with a sinking tip line when I need to get the fly down deep in pools. I carry a couple of extra tapered leaders and tippet in my chest pack but I don't think I've ever had to change the leader while fishing but always have to add tippet due to loosing/changing fly's. It's a continous learning process. I've been doing for years and I still feel like a beginner. It's fun and you will get hooked. I just got back from Bass Pro stocking up for a 5 day canoe/camping/smallmouth fishing trip on Memorial Day weekend.

Awesome!!! Be sure to post some pics!
  • Options
    thecoltcollectorthecoltcollector Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i agree with wrench. go to bass pro and look around at the different options and prices.ask yourself am i going to do this alot or just play with it?i have been playing around with it for 15 years.i bought an old used outfit and used it alot.had to buy a new one this year,kids stepped on the tip in the camper and broke it off.i ordered one out of bass pro for 40.00 and it was complete with everything i needed.i use a wf 7f line.thats what i was taught on and still use today. they are great for crappie and panfish around here! my advice is practice,practice,practice.... good luck!