In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lake Powell, Utah

NevrnuffstufNevrnuffstuf Member Posts: 149 ✭✭
edited November 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
Hey,
Any of you folks ever fish Powell?
Heading down there in October.
Hoping for Walleye, Black Bass and Stripers, ????.
Let's hear some stories if you have........
NNS

Comments

• elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    It has been years since I was at Powell. We would catch stipers along the cliffs, smallies in the boulder fields, and cat fish at night. It was a great time.
  • kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hite crossing on the north Antelope on the south and Navajo on the San Juan arm can get you all the fish you have named and some you haven't.Bullfrog out of Blanding is great for stripers Oct-DecI usually fish Powell 3-4 times a year but only got 2 this year. Good luck and let us Know how it turns out
  • mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lived in Page, AZ, at the southern end of Powell, for five years before moving here (SE Indiana), twelve years back. As is common when people live close to what's a major vacation destination for others, I actually didn't visit the lake much. I did see and hear of some hellacious stripers being taken out of there, though, and there are dark rumors of catfish large enough to scare the living bejeebers out of divers, living in the deep depths near the base of the Glen Canyon Dam.

Good luck! And if by some chance you cross paths with a police officer named Tim Lange, smack him in the side of the head and tell him it's from his big brother.

On second thought, don't. But do say hey. Enjoy your trip. Beautiful country out there.
  • AZEXAZEX Member Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Nevrnuff,give us a report on Powell,gonna try to go myself in two weeks[:D]
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nevernuff and myself went to Powell during the second week of October...Caught fish every day...but not the numbers we had expected. Stripers, large mouth, smallies and Walleye. One lure caught everything...A Chartreuse Wahoo spinner bait with red eyes and gold spinners. (silver didn't work at all)Had some small mouth action with crawdad soft baits. The place went crazy on Friday ...all the big boats, drunks and skiers were everywhere! Spent most of the time trying to stay off the rocks. We think we'll go back next Sept. and try the striper boils..Maybe even a weekend trip after third season deer this year...
    quote:Originally posted by kumate
    Nevrnuff,give us a report on Powell,gonna try to go myself in two weeks[:D]
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
    edited November -1
    Grunt,just got in from Paiute Farm and it was great for catfish and a few big stripers just fished off the bank,boat broke but iguess they all do when you needem .Fished friday and saturday and caught almost 100 cats over 2 lbs.3 big stripers over10
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good deal! We couldn't even catch a crawdad...!!From Halls clear up to Good Hope bay...We caught a couple of cats that wouldn't even go a pound..What did you use for the stripers?

quote:Originally posted by kumate
    Grunt,just got in from Paiute Farm and it was great for catfish and a few big stripers just fished off the bank,boat broke but iguess they all do when you needem .Fished friday and saturday and caught almost 100 cats over 2 lbs.3 big stripers over10
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
    edited November -1
    Anchovies on a black jig from OffShore Outfitters