In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Outer Banks Fishing April 3-10, 2010

gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
edited April 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
Getting the gear ready to hit the surf at the OBanks on the above dates. Anyone heard of beach/ocean conditions at Hatteras and areas north? Got the Penn 700's/704's lubed and ready for action. Grandaughters are excited to hit the beach. Any information will be appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Heading off shore on about that same time. Going out of South Port headed to the Frying Pan Tower. New line on the 30s, 50s and 80s Internationals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for the feedback. Carbine100......the websites are great! Going to give them a call before I leave on Sat April 3. Again, thanks!
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck brother. Knock em out!
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need a fish report when you get back. Tight lines!
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    SO.... How'd the trip pan-out Gary??[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    fishkiller41......thanks for asking. Great weather! 80's most days, warm surf, water temp @55 or so. But no fish! My girls got lots of practice throwing the Hopkins and Gators for hours and loved it. But no fish up and down the beach. But, that is how it goes however over the many years...but I have killed them at this time in the 60's, 70's and 80's. But over the last 15 years or so not much luck. In 1988 I had three bluefish blitzes in one day at three different places on the Banks (KDHills in the early morning, north side of Oregon Inlet @1pm and Avon at 4pm). The chopper blues were driving 4-6lb trout right up on the beach! One hugh mass of blues just moving down the beach and we followed them all day. Got lots of photos and just dream about that day repeating itself. Always think it will and hope.....we are ready if it does! The old Penn greenies were ready, willing and able! Thanks for asking....and good luck to you! We are going back in the fall to see if things get better.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    WOW!! 55* surf temp??? Do U remember what the temp. was like back in '88 when u killed'em?
    I always thought the "Snappin blues" liked chilly water.Maybe it still needed to warm up a bit and get the bait moving.
    I bey U anly missed'em by a few days or a week maybe.
    U'll get into'em again. The kids will love it too.Nothin like hit after hit to keep the kids smilin!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    fishkiller41....thanks for asking. Back in the day the water temp was around the early 50's (52/53) for the big Choppers to come in. It is like the luck of the Irish, I guess. They were catching them off the beach in boats when we were there two weeks ago but the schools had not yet hit the beach. Back in the day they would come in usually around Thanksgiving/first week in Dec and then around early April and thats when we would head down to the Banks to welcome them in...four of us from DE/MD in two 4x4's. Just killed them all up and down the beach from Duck to Hattera's...but particularly at Oregon Inlet (both North and South but particularly in front of the old Life Guard Station) and Coquina Beach to the north. Buxton, too, under the old Hattera's Light. Got lots of photos on my walls to prove it! Folks who don't know how to prepare Bluefish to eat would complain about the taste. Got to prepare them fresh!! We, on the other had, would take our charcoal grills down on the beach, catch them, immediately filet them, batter them up, and cook them on the beach as we would catch them! Pass them around and folks would rave! Nothing better than freshly grilled Bluefish. Heck, me and my "friend" would cook them for breakfast! Makes me hungry now just thinking about it! Hopefully those great days will return! Me and my girls are ready to make some more memories and put the second generation photos on the walls!