In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What do you think of a Yamaha 25?

gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
edited August 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
I am still looking for a four stroke, short shaft motor for my 13' Whaler. Have given up on finding a Honda but my local dealer tells me he can get me a new Yamaha 25 for @$3500 or so. What do you think of the motor? Personal experience?

Comments

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gary,
    Are you certain you dont want to go for the lightness of a 2 stroke.
    The Yamaha's are great reliable engines. However 4 strokes are heavy due to the heads.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage
    Gary,
    Are you certain you dont want to go for the lightness of a 2 stroke.
    The Yamaha's are great reliable engines. However 4 strokes are heavy due to the heads.

W....thanks for the feedback. I guess at my old(er) age I am not into mixing gas and oil. Perhaps I ought to check the weights of the different 25's 2 vs 4 cycle. One of my son in laws just got a Honda 2hp and it is very light so I was going on that. The Whaler is just used to take my six (little) grandkids fishing on freshwater lakes that have almost a no wake rule so speed is not an issue.[:D]
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Actually there is not that much difference in weight. Check out the stats. 4 stroke is heavier but not by much. Never owned a 25hp Yamaha but did have a 175 that was unstoppable. Had it on a 21' center console that I took 40 miles off shore many times. It never let me down.

Had a fishing buddy who also had a 21' center console but had a 200hp Merc on it. My 175hp out ran his Merc and used less gas.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some friends who have had Yamaha outboards. No complaints, but none of them have one now. One went back to 2 stroke (225 HO Evinrude), and the other no longer owns a boat. They seemed just as reliable and quiet as the Honda motors I have used.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I was gonna say, it'll reduce the amount of weight (gear/people) U can haul around in it. The Yamaha's are almost reverse engineered JohnRudes.(the 2 strokes at least)They use a lot of TINY little pin connectors for wiring and they don't take to saltwater at all...In sweetwater you'd be fine..