In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

No One Ever Said Thank You to A Vietnam Vet!

J 1357J 1357 Member Posts: 283 ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in US Military Veteran Forum
I was at a winter event yesterday, where the Army had a booth. As I walked by, I noticed at least four people coming up to the servicemen and saying thank you to them for their service.
For the first time in many years, I was pissed. No ONE, not anyone ever thanked me for my service. In fact, I remember an officers convention in San Fracisco, where I was walking down the street back to my hotel in uniform and was spit on.
I know, that at the time we were just pieces of drafted meat for the grinder, but every young man at the time was affected by that damn war. No matter where you served in combat or in the states, lives were disrupted and changed.
I guess I still hold alot of resentment.

Comments

• COBmmcmssCOBmmcmss Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by J 1357
    I was at a winter event yesterday, where the Army had a booth. As I walked by, I noticed at least four people coming up to the servicemen and saying thank you to them for their service.
    For the first time in many years, I was pissed. No ONE, not anyone ever thanked me for my service. In fact, I remember an officers convention in San Fracisco, where I was walking down the street back to my hotel in uniform and was spit on.
    I know, that at the time we were just pieces of drafted meat for the grinder, but every young man at the time was affected by that damn war. No matter where you served in combat or in the states, lives were disrupted and changed.
    I guess I still hold alot of resentment.

J,

Perhaps refocus on what is in front of you. I enlisted into the Navy at 17 in 1972 and was quickly introduced to the seas off the coast of Vietnam on a tin-can. This obviously was the end of the Vietnam war. I stayed around until just after Desert Storm (ret. '94). I saw a major transition from what we experienced then from our own society to what you see now. Nothing changed until after Desert Storm. All of a sudden it was okay to be military again. We got welcome home parties and the like.

Society isn't always at their best when it comes to treating those who serve. I have made it a personal goal of mine to say welcome back and thank you to every vet I meet. It can't make up for when we were spit on but it does it can help.

Welcome home.

COB
  • ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The collective guilt of a nation that disregarded the Vietnam veteran, and now because of that guilt they treat our current day fighting men and women with the respect and gratitude they richly deserve.

Maybe that's the true legacy of the Vietnam Veteran......
  • StingSting Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always felt closest to the Korean War Veterans. Korea was the start of; war fought for reasons other than winning.

It is the federal government itself, that set up those warriors to be unappreciated when they return home, by putting them into war and hamstringing them. Both Korean and Vietnam vets have this in common.

I'm sure everybody here remembers how it felt not to be as worthy as WW2 vets when you got back. Orgs like VFW in my old home town didn't even want you as a member.
  • johnhardyjohnhardy Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well,I thank you,don't know when nor where you were over there,but you were still covering my coondingy!!!
  • krawiechkrawiech Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    everthing you said is true and i still cannot accept the way we were treated maybe its a good thing for the now returning vets but it sure as he-- doesnt ease my pain i welcome any vet that i see at the va clinic or hospital that looks like he needs someone to say hello and there are a lot of us hank k
  • onepopperonepopper Member Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This never made the headlines but Congressman Boozman (R-AR 3rd district) offered House Resolution 188 at the 1st session of the 111th Congress on Feb 25, 2009 : "Honoring the service, courage, and sacrifice of the Seawolves of Helicopter Attack Light Squadron Three."

There are 6 pages of Hal-3 history and accolades.

How about that fellow Seawolves!!!

Hal-3 Airframes Division Chief, 1971,1972
  • AF70AF70 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    EVERY TIME I see a Vet with a Viet Nam hat, pin, whatever, I say "Thank you for your service, welcome home."

I travel a lot -When I see currently serving military in uniform in eating establishments, I often ask for their tab with the instruction to the waier/waitress that they are not to say anything about my request.

I have met a number of the aircraft departing to/returning from Iraq and Afganistan at the old Pease AFB... see PeaseGreeters.org

These are both the Right thing to do, and a nice thing to do...

So, Thank You! and Welcome Home.

Mike former PJ, USAF '70-'74
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    I've been thanked for my service several times. I don't look for it, expect it or advertise my service, but, often when the subject comes up, the person will thank me.

I live in Maine where there are people who regularly greet troops passing through the Bangor International Airport.

BTW...I personally don't care for the hats, pins, etc as I know of 2 people who wear this stuff who weren't anywhere near VN. That stuff is appropriate for parades, etc. but day to day wear is a different story. Just my opinion.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone who served in Nam should be thanked twice. Once for serving in a war that was unpopular with young people at the time. Secondly thanked for returning to find that the sacrifices made seemed uncertain.
    Hindsight being 20/20 we learned of the heroic deeds done. So that
    the freedoms at home can go on. As new troops march off to the
    harms of the Gulf situations. We pray that the gallant men and women of Nam will remind us to never forget again.
    Please pray for the American Soldier and pray for peace.
  • EvanBEvanB Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you ALL for your service!

I was there with you. 3rd btn/9th marines 1967-1968
  • jaysouthjaysouth Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am glad to see current veterans of the sandbox treated decently. But every time I hear someone thank them for their service, it pisses me off about how badly we were treated during and after VN.

I endured taunts and jeers weekly while attending college after VN. When I started looking for a job, I was asked stupid question like "are you still using drugs", "did you ever participate in a massacre". The cream jobs were off limits, employers were afraid that you would go crazy on them and this was the start of affirmative action. It was much safer in the minds of an employer to hire a lesser qualified minority than to risk hiring a Veteran who they knew would go postal on them.

I am still blame Dan Rather and the lying piece of poop, John Kerry for portraying VN vets in such bad light. I hope they die a slow lingering death, however in Kerry's case, that rabid wife of his is probably more punishment than the Hanoi Hilton.

Not being able to find a decent job in my field of finance/accounting, I joined the police department and spent the next several years beating the poop out of war protesters on a monthly basis. Sure felt good.
  • romerromer Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey guys, don't feel bad, I can't remember being thanked as a Korean 'conflict' veteran........................
  • Magic051Magic051 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After almost 40 years, I vividly recall how I was viewed after my return home from Vietnam. Other than my immediate family, not well. I have gotten on with my life and been very blessed.
    What bothers me the most is when all of the chicken poops that fled to Canada were granted amesty. I know of only one personally and wouldn't give him the time of day.
    I think it's great the way our current service men & women are treated although, I have to admit I am a bit envious. Still rare, I have been thanked several times in the past few years for my service.
    I'm proud to have served, thankfull for returning healthy, and having a wonderfull family.

Vietnam USMC 69/70
  • 300-remultramag300-remultramag Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was not there but several of my cousins were, I just want to say to any and everyone who served anywhere in the forces, THANK YOU!! thank you all that has served and all that you gave if yall hadnot we wouldnt be here today talking. thanks again..
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To romer,

Thank you for your service in Korea for our nation!

My father (Army)and my uncle (Marines) were there, done that and got back as well. That was a little early on for me. Do recall when my father returned .... had no idea who the heck he was. Took quite a while to find out who he was too .... a life time.

I was to RSVN for awhile .... and concur with others experiences. Never did freeze my * like most if not all in Korea.

So again romer, I know it may sound trite, but thank you for going thru that unholy Hell.

Have a good weekend and take care.

the Best
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a small Vietnam Veteran sticker on the back window of my SUV. One day a couple years ago at the car wash a lady pulled up behind me, go out and asked "Is that you?" Referring to the sticker. I said yes. She then said thank you for serving. I was pleasantly shocked.
  • 1USMC11USMC1 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never wanted any thanks...and I sure didn't get any. I always have to laugh when someone says they were spat upon....nobody ever approached me.... not even the Buddhists or hippies at LAX or SF. I guess I had that look in my eye.....lol

SF
    USMC
    Vietnam '66-'67
  • StingSting Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were no spitters for me either, but in my old home state of Connecticut, a college that I won't name because it is prestigious and ivy covered, had a group of protesting students who took it upon themselves to send letters to grieving parents of deceased military, writing that the students--were glad that their son had died.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's hard for me to visualize someone actually spitting on a NAM vet without the spitter getting knocked about, but the stories of such did abound. I do remember those SOBs that Sting mentioned...they were everywhere, and my family got telephone calls and a letter similar to the one he refers to also.

On our return trip from the NAM, we flew into Travis AB, but before we landed the stews put on a magnificent performance of Hello Dolly. They practically danced up and down the aisle singing and welcoming home all of the Gyrenes in Greens. What a great moment in time that was for those of us being entertained. Those ladies were awesome!

After landing many of us made our way to the San Francisco International Airport for flights home. Once there we could not even get word as to when we might be able to book a flight! One call to my sister in Texas did the trick. She must have given someone a serious piece of her mind, because two of my buds and I were being paged by name shortly thereafter! They actually bumped three people off the flight that was being boarded at the time of the paging. We were told by the reservation clerk that they had got a call for us to be on the next flight out to LA. Everyone needs a good sister like mine! BTW, today is her birthday, and I need to call her and rekindle some old, but great memories!
    What's next?
  • GunBuffGunBuff Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank You all for serving.
    When I got my draft card I was 1A for Vietnam, shorty after the war was over.
    All of you should be proud,the hell with incompotent people.
    My hat go's off to you,life is't fair,try to spend the rest of your life happy without regrets.This Flag woulden't stand without You,,,You know it and I know it.4392709251_44d9a6e4d7_m.jpg
  • LinoricLinoric Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    J I hope the guy that spat on you got drafted. But I am very happy to see the support of our troops. I am a Desert Storm vet and I take to time to thank our active duty troops. During long portals there were times it was a great comfort to know some stranger was thankful and supportive of my sacrifice. Small things can mean so much to a soldier facing hardships.

Blixx
  • joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never let them get to you!! Say welcome home to your brothers and let the rest go to hell! And by the way WELCOME HOME TO ALL MY BROTHERS!!!!! 282ND Alleycat Guns 1969 48th Joker Guns 1970 I Corp Khe Sahn, Dong Ha, Citadel, DaNang! 4 purple hearts and still alive!
    edited November -1
    I came home (1st tour) and tried to fly out of SF and ended up taking a Greyhound. Not ONE person would even help me! I will never forget it or forgive them for what they did to me and my brothers!
  • NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    j1357: I thank you and salute you! As a high school history teacher, I work hard to make sure YOUR side of the story is told and that the kids realize you are to be respected, honored, and revered.
  • UH1CharlieUH1Charlie Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last thing I wanted after my Vietnam tour was for anyone to thank me for anything. BTW, I quit smoking on the 'Freedom Bird' on my way home. I thought to myself, if I lived thru that RF, the last thing that was going happen to me was to find myself lying in a hospital bed with a canula in my nose. I hid in plain sight for thirty years, stinking Vietnam never bothered me.....lol
  • C16moC16mo Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back around 1990 my company hired a new secretary and she was the first, and possibly the only, civilian that offered me a sincere thank you. She was a fine southern gal and a credit to the south. [:)]

I was in VN from 1965 to 1966 with the 1st Air Cavalry at An Khe.
  • krawiechkrawiech Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i was in pleiku from sept 65 thru sept 66 i was at pleime in my huey iwas a crew chief we had support from the 1st cav at pleime we also transported wia from a fire support base to pleiku i dont remember all the details it was a long time ago i do remember transporting martha raye to a support station on the top of a mountain on the road from an khe to pleiku looks like we were in the same area at the same time i was with the 52nd aviation company hope you are in good health welcome home brother hank k
    edited November -1
    Yes - it was a long time ago. It's been longer than I care to believe. I'm 67 now and I can't believe how fast time has gone. Seems like Mt. St. Helens went off about 10 years ago - not 30.

I had 21 days left when the VC took over the radio facility on top of that mountain and rained mortars down on us for the better part of the night until a few of our gun ships could come to our rescue.

I remember Christmas 1965 when they tried to pick up a huge cross to put on top of that mountain. A sikorski sky crane came in and the prop wash turned a giant quanset hut down by the air field over on it's back - rocking from side to side like a babies cradle. What a mess.

I'm in pretty good health. Finally quit smoking when I turned 65 [;)]
    Had a heart attack back in 1995, but been doing pretty good otherwise. Lost my best friend about a year ago. He did two tours in RVN on medicvac helicopters - received 2 purple hearts and ended his career as a Command Sargent Major. I was with the 15th Administration Company, Replacement Detachment, 1st Air Cavalry Division. We were the processing department for everyone coming or going for our division. I can't recall the dates I was there, I would have to dig out my DD214, but I think I arrived around June of 1965 and left 9-10 months later. It took us close to 2 months to get to Vietnam by troop ship thru the Panama Canal Zone.

Hope things have been good for you and the best of luck in the future.

Cheers,

John
    SW Missouri
    edited November -1
    Never expected thanks, but was blindsided by hate! I myself will never forgive our generation for the thoughtless buzzards they are.
    edited November -1
    second response! I have read all the posts and think that we all feel the same way....no thanks needed. We [Vietnam Vets] are true brothers even if we do not know each other. My response is WELCOME HOME BROTHERS and THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!!!!!
    edited November -1
    And a tip of my cap to all Vietnam Vets. [:)]

I live by Springfield, Missouri and they are taking a plane load of WWII vets to Washington DC to see their memorial every time they get enough cash scrapped together (about every other month).

There are a lot of retired military down this way and a lot of good patriotic people who show their appreciation for our military.