In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vietnam Parasite

mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in US Military Veteran Forum
This information comes from a letter in my VVA magazine, July/August of 2007. The woman's (Mrs. Edward S. Harrison) husband died from a parasite contracted during his tour in Viet Nam. The parasite, very prevalent in Viet Nam, did its thing and went away. But left damaged cells in the bile duct of the liver. Around the age of 60 these damaged cells have have become cancerous. Cholangiocarcinoma by name, which is also caused by Hepatitis C. Those of us who were there need to be examined for this. Yes, I still have the page with the letter in it.

Comments

• Options
    Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you got a link to the letter, if so post it.

Thanks Smoky
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There is no link. The best I can suggest is contact the Vietnam Veterans of America and get a back issue.
  • Options
    180A180A Member Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PARASITE WARNING

I am writing to inform all Vietnam veterans about a potential health
    risk that they may have been exposed to while serving in Vietnam: the
    little-known danger from parasites.

My husband, who was otherwise healthy, passed away on January 20, 2006, from cholangiocarcinoma, cancer of the bile duct of the liver. It is very rare in the United States, but very prevalent in Vietnam and surrounding countries. There are two known causes of this type of cancer: from contracting hepatitis C and from ingesting a parasite from the water supply in Vietnam. My husband did not have hepatitis C; therefore, it was determined that his cancer derived from a parasite.

I have received official notification from the VA that his death was service related, which is not something the VA determines without an overwhelming amount of evidence.

This cancer does not manifest itself until later in life, when you are between 60 and 70 years old. Once the symptoms occur, which usually include jaundice, it is very difficult to treat or beat. My husband was 58 years old when he passed away. If he had been informed that there was a possibility that he could have ingested a parasite while serving in Vietnam, he would have taken precautions to have his bile ducts examined, possibly extending his life. The parasite is long gone, but it left behind damaged cells, which developed into cancerous tumors in the bile ducts.

If you spent time in Southeast Asia and are having gastrointestinal
    issues for no apparent reason, please have your physician check for damage within the bile ducts; Cholangiocarcinoma.
    It may save your life.

Mrs. Edward S. (Pete) Harrison
    Horseheads, New York

link:
    http://www.vva.org/veteran/0807/letters.html
  • Options
    cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    Now that is scary.In D.Storm we were not allowed to send any sand home because of a parasite in the soil(some wives,girlfriends wanted a little bottle of sand from Saudi).Now i need to find out if these parasites are closely related.After the War we had to take all equiptment to the Gulf and wash them out with huge Diesel pump powered water hose.They did,nt want a grain of sand coming back!Now im curious.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    180A180A Member Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're sure welcome, mcaso!
  • Options
    pttptt Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As an NCO at the Marine Corps FLC compound near Da Nang I witnessed equiptment, from 6x6's to 40ft trailers, being hand cleaned with pressure hoses connected to huge water bladders and pressure pumps. "Parasitic" elimination. Repainted and sent back stateside. They knew something, even back then.
  • Options
    Sheila K. HarrisonSheila K. Harrison Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My name is Sheila K. Harrison and I am the widow of Edward S. (Pete) Harrison. I am the person who posted the letter in the July/August 2007 edition of the VVA Magazine regarding the cause of my husband's death -- Cholangiocarcinoma (cancer of the bile duct of the liver), as a result of ingesting a parasite while serving in Vietnam.
    Since the letter was posted in the magazine I have received numerous inquiries for information regarding the disease and help with proof for VA claims. My claim was the first to be approved by the VA for Cholangiocarcinoma in Vietnam Veterans and now there are a total of 6 with many more in the works. I have permission from those who have received approved claims to share copies of them with anyone who needs them.
  • Options
    biddybopbiddybop Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I served in Vietnam in 67-68. I drank water from the streams and wells. I was Infantry and that was the only place we could get water many times. Not long after being in country I came down with a bad case of diarrhea and cramping.
    About three years after being home I went to a dianostic clinic for some test to find out what was wrong with me. I was still having bowel problems, diarrhea and such. The test didn't show any parasites or other causes for my symtoms. Doctor figured I had stress problems. For those years I continued to have bowel problems off and on.
    1989 I went for a colonoscopy exam. that exam showed I had inflammation in the colon. So I got another prescription to try to control the inflammation. Doctor said I had ulcerative colitis. I told him that I was a Vietnam Veteran and if a parasite could have been the cause. He said, no. They don't know the cause, and of coarse there is no cure. The VA doesn't recognize this dianoses as being service related.
    And to this day I constantly have problems with it.

Ken
  • Options
    Sheila K. HarrisonSheila K. Harrison Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ken,
    I am sorry to hear you have had so many problems since your time in the service. I can only say to you that until very recently the physicians in this country were not looking for parasite damage in the bile ducts until it turned to cancer in our American guys. Some are still not aware. I can send you a fact sheet with the facts about the parasite which has been found to cause cancer in the bile duct along with a list of symptoms, etc. You can see if any of the symptoms apply to you and if so you can take it to your physician to have him check your bile ducts for any damage caused by a parasite. If you would like the information you can contact me at my email address sharr50529@stny.rr.com and I will send it to you.
    Sheila
  • Options
    biddybopbiddybop Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Sheila, I sent you an email.

Ken
  • Options
    BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am ex-Army and was working for the C.I.A. in Vietnam. I got there in August 1974 and came out on the last fixed wing from Saigon in April 1975. During the time I was in Nam I was bitten by a number of mosquitoes and at least one of them gave me dengue fever. Dengue fever is a hemoraggic fever closely related to malaria. Dengue is also known as "break bone disease" because you feel like every bone in your body is broken. Actually it is the muscels that are infected and everything hurts bad. Muscels hurt that you didn't even know that you owned. Eyelid muscels hurt; every muscel hurts. The tiny dengue virus bugs live and survive in the liver. After my initial infection and recovery I have had dengue fever come back four more times. Two important things to know. If your body is strong enough it fights the dengue virus and suppresses it. The suppressed virus bugs retreat to and continue to live or reside in the liver. What happens is that the liver cells basically encapsulate the virus bugs and hold them there. However, the dang little dengue virus bugs can escape and bloom out into the body again if the liver is stressed by having to process too much alcohol. Alcohol goes right to the liver where it has to be processed immediately. If the alcohol dose is too great the liver looses control of the dengue virus bugs, and that results in a subsequent re-infection. In my experience, after my first infection in Vietnam, it took a period of 2 1/2 to 3 years before I could tolerate consuming one-quarter of a beer. After a period of about 5 years I could tolerate about one-half of a beer. But, as I said, I had dengue fever return four more times after the intial infection in early 1975.
  • Options
    kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was wounded in Vietnam and medivaced to Japan. The hospital made me crap in (what I call a dixie cup) for a parasite check, before they would release me.
  • Options
    BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hot darn, thanks for the information. When I was over there I picked up Dengue Fever, which is a hemorrhagic fever closely related to malaria. I have had the fever recur five times since the initial infection. My brother also was over there, a USMC Radar Intercept Officer in F-4 Phantoms. After some 165 missions he contracted Hepatitis and was medivaced back to Great Lakes to recuperate. I jut now finished calling him on the phone to alert him to this subject material, and coached him about getting onto GunBroker and getting his IDs and Passwords. Thanks a lot guys.

Just this past week I finally finished up with a private neurologist regarding the numbness and loss of feeling in my feet and lower legs. I'll get a written medical report from him in about 10 days so that I can go back after the VA to try and get tested for Agent Orange. The last letter I received from the VA basically told me, ...Gee, that's tough buddy, we didn't have anything to do with it. Now after over $2000 worth of medical tests I'll get a doctor's report about my numb feet and legs for the VA.