In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Handguns in Vietnam

2»

Comments

• Options
    hotel6hotel6 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I packed the fine 1911 .45 auto. Was lucky in getting one issued to me at III MAF so the rails were tight and everything seated well. Was very accurate(considering). A lot of the issue 45s were worn out and would have been effective only with a bayonet lug welded on them. Only ammo I ever used or saw was FMJ 230gr. I can attest to the hole on the exit side of a vietnamese shot in the thigh, missing the bone and at close range. Dang near big enough for me to put my fist in!
  • Options
    Eagle_ViewEagle_View Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carried a 1911 at time my first tour, most were so worn that I worried that they could hear me shaking if i pulled it. I had a magazine ear bind the slide one time when I really need a second shot, fortunately a buddy came up with his m16 and did what needed to be done. I was working as a photographer and only carried a 45 and to 2 hand grenades. I brought back a 4" 357 back with me the 2nd tour. It was lifted from my shoulder holster one day when I crashed on my bunk after 36 hours of duty and had not secured my holster and pistol, I never knew if Mama San or one of our own people took it. tick me off big time I traded with the ARVN for 38 special rounds 158 grain, not great but they worked.

Eagle
  • Options
    mark1945mark1945 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carried a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag traded for it off a merchant marine on the Shirley Likes cargo ship.
  • Options
    chaneydchaneyd Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had a shortage of handguns in 1966 and were given a catalog to purchase private firearms. I chose a Llama .45 but we were not allowed to bring them back to the U.S. Think I paid $60 for it and sold it for $75.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    1911A1 and/or a Browning Hi Power
  • Options
    Lanark SixgunnerLanark Sixgunner Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark1945
    I carried a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag traded for it off a merchant marine on the Shirley Likes cargo ship.

I wasn't expecting to hear about a thumb-buster in Vietnam combat! Thanks to you all, have a Merry Christmas!

LS
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Lanark Sixgunner,

That is an interesting question! Thoughtful.

Carried a forty-five "for show", when I was sent to town or in transit on "official" business.

Carried a hidden, armpit holstered 38 revolver most all the time: in route, in town, in camp, on the John and just shy of in the shower. Under my head at night, whether I was busy or sleeping or not. Nearly all the time, except when on ops (as a rule).

If I was traveling, in town, or on ops I would usually have a 22 wallet pistol, or 25 or 32 pocket pistol in my right rear pocket, with a dummy wallet to the outside (it worked wonders!).

When traveling or staying in town also had an little popper on the inside of my left lower leg. My buddy would wear that one inside the top of his left boot, probably and everywhere but the shower.

He also carried a severely sawed off M-79, with barrel slightly longer than the pelleted rounds. He carried that everywhere and anywhere. You think 12s are something ... 79s are probably at least 6.5 times better! Up close it was devastating ... and it would actually lob an HE round ... just not cluttered with superfluous sights and such.

My buddy had a P-38 that I carried every opportunity ... but it was his favorite, second only to his 79. Most accurate pistol or revolver that I had ever used. I think I fell head over heels in love with it the first time that I shot it! It hit right where I looked then and always.

That was really something special! My partner had gotten it from an officer NVA regular, that had no further use for it! And that officer had gotten it from a French officer that apparently had had no further use of it.

( If my buddy was killed, I was to inherit the P-38. Thankfully, I did not ever inherit it! ) Loved that P-38 ... but he was the most dependable ops guy that I had in VN.
  • Options
    BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting question and replies. I was a C.I.A.-type in Nam 1974-75 and came out on the last fixed wing aircraft in April of 1975. I carried two S&W .38 Special revolvers, one was a Model-10 and the second was a Model-15 (that was marked U.S.A.F.). Also I had a M-3 Greasegun, .45 ACP. I had to throw the weapons away when I boarded the aircraft to leave.
  • Options
    arcmartinarcmartin Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Army Ranger advisor to 36th Viet Ranger Bn, 66-67 . carried a 9mm french MAC (similar to a browning hi-power) and a walther P-38, taken off a NVA major. never used them , as I carried a folding stock carbine (selector/auto)
  • Options
    joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ALLEYCAT 6?? You were the commander of the 282nd Alleycat Platoon? What year? I was an Alleycat pilot and then went to the Joker Guns at Dong Ha for Lam Sahn 719.
  • Options
    EvanBEvanB Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    3rd Btn/9th marines 1967-1968

other than the military issue 1911 and a single captured Russian pistol, the only other pistol I saw was carried by a helicopter crewman that was inserting us into a field operation. It was a blue S&W .38 revolver that had white plastic grips carried in a waist holster. I got a good look at it after we were on the ground and in the bush because one of my fellow Marines "lifted it" out of his holster before we got on the ground. I was thinking, how dumb! No readlly ammunition available, extea weight, and, the guy he stole it from might be the guy they sent to get us out, and be less inclined to do so.
  • Options
    ReveliReveli Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi, I am coming from Czech Republic and interesting in weapons. During Vietnam war Czechoslovakia "exported" to Vietnam some quantity of Czech 7,62mm assault rifles model 58 (Sa vz.58) for Vietcong. Did enybody from you met with this weapon ? I am appreciate any information about the weapon used in Vietnam. Also pictures with the M 58 will by fine.