Hearing Aids for Veterans

us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,336 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in US Military Veteran Forum
Was recently told a military veteran can get hearing aids thru the VA even if NOT service connected hearing loss. This apparently became effective only a few months ago.

I searched around the net but couldn't find out.

Information please would be sincerely appreciated.

US ARMY late 1960's
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Visit your local V.A. office and talk with the administrator. I had a few questions, like you. Mike, retired Air Force, wrote a letter to the V.A. explaining my situation. They scheduled me for a hearing test and an interview. After taking the test I was awarded a 10% disability ($123 per month) due to my two tours in Viet Nam. Last month I received a check retroactive to February when I first filed the claim[:0]. I had no idea, Mike did all the paper work for me. Mike told me that Tinnitus or hearing loss is the one thing that they almost never Question if you were in an active combat zone. Any questions, I'll be glad to help. BTW there are about 17 diseases that are now directly attributed to agent orange exposure. If you got it coming, go for it. Eddie life member NRA & VFW[8D]
  • us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the response. Guess I need to visit with the V.A. directly. I don't care about any monthly check, just know my hearing is failing and hearing aids could help. Getting tired of saying What, What, What did you say. Thanks[8D]
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
  • larrycoylelarrycoyle Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, don't take this the wrong way but I could sincerely kiss you for this bit of news. [:D] I was at Chu Lai in 1966-67 and before I turned 30 my hearing and Tinnitus has progressively gotten worse. I am so glad that I decided to look around a little more and stumbled upon this message. As expensive as hearing aids are, this news is a true blessing. The last time I was checked I had over 25% loss in both ears and the wife hates me because she has to repeat everything at least once. The Tinnitus has gotten so bad that it never stops and I don't know how much longer I can take it. There are some days that I am sure I am going absolutely crazy if you know what I mean.

I will definitely be checking this out this week. I will follow up with a detailed log of the procedures I have to go through and if successful or not.

Semper Fi
  • krawiechkrawiech Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    after fighting with the va for 2 yearsi am scheduled to pick up my hearing aids on sept 29 of this year im 100 % disabled i served in pleiku from sept 65 thru sept 66 to all who served welcome home and for those that didnt come home ill never forget hank k
  • WullieWullie Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got my hearing aids last February after fighting with the VA for two years to get hearing aids. I worked on the flight deck and had tinnitus and hearing loss long before I was discharged.

Another interesting deal was that according to my Navy medical records, my hearing IMPROVED to PERFECT when I was discharged! What a load. Hence I had to get an outside evaluation to get my foot in the door at the VA because they could see no problem.

Like the gentleman above posted my wife was getting fed up with me not hearing her.

I had to get a veteran's affairs rep involved and he went the distance for me. I got 20% ( retro for two years ) and $243 a month plus hearing aids, batteries, ear tubes and the like.

When I was picking my hearing aids up from the VA las February, I found out that they will provide them now for anyone in the system deemed to need them.

If the VA is jerking you around, go to a veteran's affairs representative. As far as I know all states have them. The guys that I've dealt with here in Texas are all disabled vets and they LOVE to keep the VA in line and make them do what's right.

Don't give up.

Take care,
    Willie
    edited November -1
    From what I've discovered, the VA won't provide any for the lower classes (class 5, 6) of VA members without a military hearing loss. [}:)]
  • flapjackflapjack Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am fairly sure that I was the first to receive comp for accoustic trauma-tinitus, and I am gratified to hear that getting compensation and treatment has become a faster-smoother process. It wasn't always that way. Thanks to my dear Mom, who kept the appeal process alive for years, I was finally awwarded %10 in the early 70's. I had been given a permanent profile in country in 1970 when I had 37 days left. They-the Docs at 3rd field hosp, wanted to send me home right then, but for some reason, asked to stay (dain bramage?) I think I was scared of loosing my 150 day drop. When my parents urged me to get my hearing checked/file a claim-I was reluctant-I just didn't want the hassel-but then they turned me down and made Mom mad! They put me through all kinds of harassment in the insuing years-actually took blood from my feet as part of a test for hearing loss-We used our congressman and other docs-wrote letters,etc, etc... They claimed the records were lost-burnt-that, ok-you have a hearing loss-but its not service connected-on and on and on. Finally, they admitted it was indeed service connected, after I showed them the profile signed by 4-5 officers. So-OK-but we don't have a "schedule" for compensating tinitus/accoustic trauma, sorry. So we began another long fight to get to the veterans board of appeals, where I was reped by VFW, and after some more time, we prevailed-10% which was 25 bucks back then, but because it had not been compensable-there was no retro. I'm glad that folks are getting taken care of , Mom would be blessed. If we all would make our claims and hold our ground, it would make it that much better for those that follow us, just a thought. Flapjack
    edited November -1
    I am fairly sure that I was the first to receive comp for accoustic trauma-tinitus, and I am gratified to hear that getting compensation and treatment has become a faster-smoother process. It wasn't always that way. Thanks to my dear Mom, who kept the appeal process alive for years, I was finally awwarded %10 in the early 70's. I had been given a permanent profile in country in 1970 when I had 37 days left. They-the Docs at 3rd field hosp, wanted to send me home right then, but for some reason,I asked to stay (dain bramage?) I think I was scared of loosing my 150 day drop. When my parents urged me to get my hearing checked/file a claim-I was reluctant-I just didn't want the hassel-but then they turned me down and made Mom mad! They put me through all kinds of harassment in the insuing years-actually took blood from my feet as part of a test for hearing loss-We used our congressman and other docs-wrote letters,etc, etc... They claimed the records were lost-burnt-that, ok-you have a hearing loss-but its not service connected-on and on and on. Finally, they admitted it was indeed service connected, after I showed them the profile signed by 4-5 officers. So-OK-but we don't have a "schedule" for compensating tinitus/accoustic trauma, sorry. So we began another long fight to get to the veterans board of appeals, where I was reped by VFW, and after some more time, we prevailed-10% which was 25 bucks back then, but because it had not been compensable-there was no retro. I'm glad that folks are getting taken care of , Mom would be blessed. If we all would make our claims and hold our ground, it would make it that much better for those that follow us, just a thought. Flapjack
  • skytrooperD15skytrooperD15 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All Veterans need to enroll in the VA health care system before they close the last 3 priority groups again.Just go to the VA close to you any state even If you don't live there.Just for convenience nearest to you.Go to the front desk and ask for an enrollment package.Have your DD-214 or a certified copy and sit down in the lobby and fill out the forms.I know Vets do not like going to a Veterans Hospital but tough it out,besides we all own the places don't we?Get your VA ID made usaly right after turning in the enrollment papers.One thing I have found out is to be polite to the workers and caregivers they are just doing their job and the employees I have had contact with is 99% good.When you get enrolled ask to be screened for PTSD and also Agent Orange.Ask about who pays the medical bills at this time.Combat MOS is supposed to get a free screening and I think anyone that set foot on the ground in Vietnam is also eligible for both screenings.After that part is over call your local or even state Disabled American Veterans and ask what do you need to do at this point.Any health issue DAV can tell you the correct by the book way to carry forward.Tell the truth to the Doctors when you do the PTSD screening no matter how much it hurts to say something.They will Not ask about combat experiences and if they ask a question about something really bad,just say I don't want to go there and they won't go there again.Remember Truth,you won't have to remember your story if you tell the truth..Just by registering with VA you can get some or most of any medication that is prescribed by your MD or maybe just pay a small copayment,usally 8 or 9 dollars.You won't get anything IF you don't ask.Just remember your local VA Rep,usally at the County Court House or a Federal building gets his paycheck from the Government.They do file claims but when I first tried to make an appointment to file a claim it took 5 months to see the rep and file my tinnitus claim which I got because my ears rang ALL the time,day and night and in between too.Maybe this will help someone on the forum.I mentioned lots of things that are for the Vietnam vet because thats where I fit in also but Veterans of all wars can also get in VA system regardless of when and where you served.
    edited November -1
    My co-pay on a 90 day supply RX is $27.00
    edited November -1
    Skytrooper-Amen Brother! The gov works on the basis of appropriations. If we don't show up and express a need-the dav and vfw etc, has nothing to take to the politicos, and so we have a situation like that which occured when these younger vets started comming back from Iraq with ptsd and related disorders, the va was grossly underprepared to accomodate them. So the bean counters in the gov might say "Well, it appears that our Viet NAM VETERANS ARE CONTENT TO SIT OUT IN THE WOODS AND DRINK THEMSELVES TO DEATH, don't ses any need there." I have talked to vets, and I used to be the same, who say, " aw-I don't want nothin'-what about the guys on the wall?" well, that's just survivors guilt talking, and those guys "on the wall" would want us to get everything we are supposed to get; that people have worked and sweat and struggled to get us, and that they died, in part, so we could go ahead and get what is ours, for their sakes-if for no other reason! The VA is a changed place compared to when we came home, but its not perfect, you have to hang in there, don't get mad and go away, don't raise your voice, or use profanity, just keep comming at them every way there is, and personally, I would have never made it, wouldn't be here typing these words, without the Lord-He was the difference for me-not religion- Jesus!
  • cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got my new hearing aids wednesday. up to date (programed with hearing loss on computer) Top of the line. I can hear again!
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 13,200
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the heads up on hearing aids and disability.
    I'm a Korean vet and will give it a go for the disability.
    Too late for the freebee hearing aid. I bought them already.
    edited November -1
    Was at the VA clinic last week and the Dr. said the VA provides hearing aids now.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I just got my HEARING AIDS last week .They are great and even get free batteries[^]. If you need them like I did take advantage of these great units.
  • claysclays Member Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a Viet Nam vet from 69 & 70, I decided this summer to go to the VA and get registered just in case I ever needed any treatment. Well I have been fortunate and have no medical problems or take any prescriptions. So I sit & wait for about an hour, fill out the forms, and am sent down for an examination. Told the doc I was fine and did not need anything. Got a bill in the mail a week later for $680.00 for a VA physical examination. Turned it into my BCBS insurance and they paid it. Don't guess I'll be going back to the VA.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I just got my HEARING AIDS last week .They are great and even get free batteries[^]. If you need them like I did take advantage of these great units.

Was your hearing loss service connected or not?
    Curious 'cause I may want to update from the ones I purchased some time back and know there is newer/better available today.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I was in Country 1966 and slept and worked >100 yards from 8" self propelled and 175's they were in Shallow dug outs and had fire missions 24/7 . Did this cause my hearing lost [?] I think it did damage but it has gotten worst as I have gotten older . I also think running small engines did not help But I have worn Hearing Protection for every thing over 65 DB for many years. I never did anything with the V.A. until this year they started a Clinic in the small town I live in . so I applied for I.D. card mostly to use at LOWES and H.D. They did a complete Physical No Charge and sent me to large Hospital 75 miles away for other test & hearing aids. I have no health issues. Never been on any MEDS except for a few injuries 14 day pain pills and after eye operation for lens implant 7 days. Weigh the same as the day I was discharged.[:)]