Your military photos/awards?

us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,317 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in US Military Veteran Forum
I took several hundred color slide pics when in S.E. Asia 1967-1968. For years they lay in a box on a shelf in the closet....as did my green U.S. Army dress uniform.

Last year I decided to do something with them. I dug out all the slides and converted them to digital, put them on a disc and gave one to each kid at Christmas.

I dug out my discharge papers and got a list of my awards, did some research and put together a wall display with my patches, crests, medals, military ID card (kept one), dog tags, weapons qualification badges and the P-38 I carried from basic until after discharge.

The wall display is mounted in a shadow box I ordered from Medals of America (http://www.medalsofamerica.com/) along with and an engraved plaque of places served w/dates, some of the medals, etc. I requested the awards from the VA (provided free of charge) but they said they were out and didn't know when they would be available, however, after the display was completed and over a year later the awards from the VA arrived in the mail.

No one mentioned my service when I came home in 1968. Today people say 'Thank you for your service.'

Times change. [^]
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in the process of converting all of my slides, photos, and negatives to digital pictures; but the project isn't complete yet. Most are from our 1972-73 cruise as part of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club.

I do have all of my ribbons and medals as well as their citations. The only thing I'm missing is the patch for my flight jacket when I hit 200 traps on the Midway (CVA-41), but that isn't something I can just find anywhere. My wife plans to make a shadow box out of my awards at some point. I have all of my uniforms, flight suits, flight jackets, and some of my flight gear. I have a few things on display out in my room.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made a shadow box years ago with pics, medals, patches etc. I also scanned many of my Vietnam pics like these.

[img][/img]IMG_2141.jpg

manning my .50
    [imgIMG_0009.jpg][/img]
  • Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 503 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have boxes of slides, how to I convert to digital??

Some are from the early 60's

Thanks for the help.
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    I too have MANY slides but I am not sure where they are right now!!!
    I never made a 'shadow box', but my son, Devin, found my old 'medals' and awards and took a flight helmet bag and put them all on it and gave it to me several years ago for my birthday![8D]
    I have it hanging near my reloading bench.
    I may try and locate the slides and see about putting some of them on here![:)]
  • StingSting Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found a device at Bed, Bath, and beyond, called Pandigital ($99), (after searching at Best Buy). It converts prints and negatives to digital, stores them on your computer so you can retouch the scratches and wrinkles, let's you burn them onto a disc.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    My stuff -- medals, patches, tags, etc. are still in a box. Right now, I'm not all that sure where it is. About once a year I look them over, then put it all away again. Have a few uniform items in a plastic tub in the basement, but not much is left. Photos were all lost in the divorce, which is sad.
  • Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 503 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Between a divorce and my house burning to the ground about 20 years ago I only have my BSM left. For whatever reason it survived the fire with only smoke damage, looks bad but its there..somewhat like me.[;)]
  • us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smoky14
    I have boxes of slides, how to I convert to digital??

Some are from the early 60's

Thanks for the help.

You can purchase a slide to digital converter. There are several on ebay or just do an internet search.
    There are also companies you can send your slides to and they will convert them for so much each.....if you trust mailing them off to some business.
    OR
    usually there is a photo shop locally that will do the conversions for you (slide to SD card or disc) if you don't want to buy a slide to digital converter so you can put them onto a SD card yourself and play it on your computer.
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln