Honoring Vets

us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,289 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in US Military Veteran Forum
No matter what one may think of Nixon now - watch this!

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 503 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you, I needed that.

Smoky
  • oldbuckaroooldbuckaroo Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The opening to President Nixon's book "No More Vietnams" says it all:

"No event in American history is more misunderstood than the Vietnam War. It was misreported then, and it is misremembered now. Rarely have so many people been so wrong about so much. Never have the consequences of their misunderstanding been so tragic."

His analysis of the history leading up to US involvement in Southeast Asia following WWII, the prosecution of the war, and the aftermath once Saigon fell in 1975 foretold much of what the US finds itself dealing with in 2013.

I served in '68-'69 during the transition to the "Vietnamization" phase, and to this day have no regrets whatsoever. What we were pursuing was President Nixon's vision of "Peace With Honor" and I'm honored to have been a small part of the effort.
  • StingSting Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have read and liked his book too.
  • oledoc2uoledoc2u Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not too many remember 1973 who did not serve. I had enlisted in the USAF, and was to attend flight school for chopper training which at the time was courtesy of the Army. After basic, I was to report for training. I received news the flight school was closed to the AF. I had signed up under a contract for 6 yrs active, 2 yr reserve in order to qualify. When Richard Nixon got this war on its way to its end, it ended a lot training as well. I never went to serve as I did not have to fulfill that agreement. I have mixed emotions to this day if I had chosen another path. But, during my flight home from San Antonio, I wasn't treated very well, and as a young 19 yr old, it was impressionable. I felt let down, by those who made a promise and those who would insult me for wanting to serve. God bless you all that did serve in this terrible war. It was a strange time 1973.