What is a VIC card anyway?

us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,282 ✭✭✭✭
Got my appointment letter several days ago for an appointment at the VA for my annual lab test.

The letter mentioned if you don't have your Veterans Information Card (VIC) you should ask for one.

Well, I've no idea what one would need a VIC for anyway, but when I checked in, I asked about getting one.

The fellow at the VA Clinic desk chuckled and said "well, we have to take your photograph here and then send it to the VA hospital and they send the card back .... but the system has been down for the past two months"

I said; "Why does that not surprise me, kinda like obamacare"

We both had a good laugh.

[:D][:D]

Along the same lines, early this summer I inquired about getting set up so could use the MyHealtheVet for appointments, communication, etc. I filled out the form, gave it to the clinic and never heard a thing back. All it can be used for here is to re-order Rx.

Another failed gov't program. [:(]
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• ochocoochoco Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's the size of a credit card. It has your name and picture on it. Mine says service connected. The front has a bar code the back a magnetic strip. At the VA clinic I go to you swipe the bar code and do the touch screen to check in for my appointments. It's what I use at Lowes for my veterans discount, never had a problem getting it.
  • aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just like ochoco says; it's just like a credit card...mine also says service-connected and I swipe it to obtain VA medical care when I visit the community-based health care clinic or VA hospital (or any place like Lowes that gives a veteran discount)>>>just a personal comment: swiping this card just got me a many thousand dollar colonoscopy done by the BEST gastro docs for no cost at all....I have private insurance, but the VA providers happen to be the best in my city (Pittsburgh PA)...
  • us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,282 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Update:

VIC cards are still not available here.

Seems the VA has more problems exposed now than the low priority of getting the new VIC cards issued.

[:0]
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
  • ochocoochoco Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New VIC card showed up in the mail. Same picture of me as the old card. This card has a member ID number, a plan ID number, and a 10 year expiration date that wasn't on the old card.