In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What Happened to the Tea Party Last Night?

gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
edited June 2014 in Politics
Evidently the Tea Party ran candidates in 36 different elections around the country, challenging Republician incumbents. They lost ALL 36 races, including against the House Majority Leader who carried his district against his Tea Party opponent 70-30. Does this mean the Tea Party Day is over? If they are so popular why are they losing?

Comments

  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Empire Strikes Back
  • captnobodycaptnobody Member Posts: 426 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would appear most Americans are ok with big government and social light
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,254 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    Evidently the Tea Party ran candidates in 36 different elections around the country, challenging Republician incumbents. They lost ALL 36 races, including against the House Majority Leader who carried his district against his Tea Party opponent 70-30. Does this mean the Tea Party Day is over? If they are so popular why are they losing?
    Feel good story Dr. Prof. Your Excellency ,Sir Gary????...now you don't feel threatened ??? Sleep tonight without the light on???[:o)]
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By around the country do you mean-

    MAY 6, 2014:
    Indiana - Primary Election
    North Carolina - Primary Election
    Ohio - Primary Election

    I do think the more conservative candidates are doing better in local and State elections.

    The TEA party is made up of people mainly within the Republican party. It is a faction.

    Personally i am glad 22% of the voters in an Ohio district are paying attention and voting their convictions. I do wish it were more thou.

    Change takes time. There is obviously a fear that this awareness will catch on. If it were dead no one would talk about it. They are afraid.

    It took time, decades for the Democrat Party to transition to a national socialist party. Who is trying to fix this within the Democrat party?
  • jones0430jones0430 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that most here wouldn't recognize a socialist if he came up and bit them.

    Look to Sweden if you want to see socialism at work.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,254 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    quote:Originally posted by jones0430
    I think that most here wouldn't recognize a socialist if he came up and bit them.

    Look to Sweden if you want to see socialism at work.



    Define socialist and we will see how you do on the matter.

    [:D]False equality...
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,254 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tea Party favoritewins again! Mr. Sasse whens Rep. nomination in Nebraska!I know Gary is sick,but its part of the process of his change....[:o)][:D][;)]
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,254 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alex Mooney wins in West Va......Where is Gary when we need him?[:o)][;)][:D]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,320 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Money talks BS walks. Politics is money, politics is about money, politics and politicians go hand in hand with the money and the POWER of money.

    Mitch McConnell winning a primary is preordained, he has the money, he has the power, YOU LOSE.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Money talks BS walks. Politics is money, politics is about money, politics and politicians go hand in hand with the money and the POWER of money.

    Mitch McConnell winning a primary is preordained, he has the money, he has the power, YOU LOSE.



    bpost...I would agree with you that money has made politics different than even ten years ago....and not for the better. One the other hand, Mitch in KY was not a sure bet until.....he was supported and endorsed by Rand Paul! What was up with that? Most think that pushed him over the top to win. Politics makes strange bedfellows.
  • thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to see an honest accountant as president. At least we would then know how bad things really are and hopefully how to fix it.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Another bad week for the Tea Party as in every state in which they ran candidates against the incumbent they LOST. Could it be that most folks have wised up and realize that the Tea Party radicals have no answers other than being against everything and stand no chance to get elected. Time for conservatives to lock arms and get the DEM's out of the Senate and out of the White House in 2016. Is a new day dawning?
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    Another bad week for the Tea Party as in every state in which they ran candidates against the incumbent they LOST. Could it be that most folks have wised up and realize that the Tea Party radicals have no answers other than being against everything and stand no chance to get elected. Time for conservatives to lock arms and get the DEM's out of the Senate and out of the White House in 2016. Is a new day dawning?


    "Tea Party radicals have no answers other than being against everything and stand no chance to get elected."

    You may be correct about US radicals:

    Against unlimited debt limit
    Against never ending unemployment benefits
    Against FED unchecked printing of money
    Against amnesty for illegal immigrants
    Against ACA (DemocratCare) and want it repealed
    Against gun control
    Against NSA data collecting on citizens
    Against Drone surveillance on domestic soil

    Most of these at least get lip service from INCUBENTS. incumbents in the Senate have been reelected at a rate of 90% for the last 30+ years (this pre dates the TEA party). A 60/40 win may be impressive but it only takes a 10% shift to make it interesting.

    I agree completely with defeating Democrats. I would like them to moved to the endangered species list. But only because they are wrong about everything.

    "Is a new day dawning?"
    I think so, you might check out this article.
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/21/tea-party-loses-key-battles-but-is-winning-the-war.html
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,254 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Proffessorrerre Gary is coming over to the Tea Party side....[:o)]
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just some passing thoughts:

    The average NOR East Republican is more liberal than the average Southern Democrat
    The "TEA Party" voters were already Republican (Conservative) voters that have become active in primaries.

    It appears the bar for a candidate only exists for Republicans or more to the point conservatives. And that anyone is acceptable if they are a Democrat. (Google "Diaper Davis"/"Abortion Barbie")

    Not to single out one in particular but was Joe Biden (Senator 1973~2008) the best and brightest that Delaware had to offer?[:D]

    Choosing a "Moderate" (Democrat Lite) just to appeal to moderate voters in the long run is a loss of core principle. Compromising on principle (reaching across the aisle) is one of the things that has brought us to where we are now.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by casper1947
    Just some passing thoughts:

    The average NOR East Republican is more liberal than the average Southern Democrat
    The "TEA Party" voters were already Republican (Conservative) voters that have become active in primaries.

    It appears the bar for a candidate only exists for Republicans or more to the point conservatives. And that anyone is acceptable if they are a Democrat. (Google "Diaper Davis"/"Abortion Barbie")

    Not to single out one in particular but was Joe Biden (Senator 1973~2008) the best and brightest that Delaware had to offer?[:D]

    Choosing a "Moderate" (Democrat Lite) just to appeal to moderate voters in the long run is a loss of core principle. Compromising on principle (reaching across the aisle) is one of the things that has brought us to where we are now.



    You just need to study your history a bit more....you might start with Jefferson "reaching across the isle" to Hamilton to work out the deal for placing the capital in DC.....compromise is not a bad thing but the way to get things done...Jefferson knew it, so did Hamilton. That you and the "pure" folks like you don't get it does not surprise me one bit....and its that kind of thinking has got us what we got right now...from POTUS right on down. As to Biden....no, he was not the best to come from DE even as a Senator...Bill Roth holds that honor IMO. Biden could not pick up his briefcase...Roth IRA and all the rest. Great man that most have not heard about as he worked behind the scenes and he is missed. Biden, not so much.
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    quote:Originally posted by casper1947
    Just some passing thoughts:

    The average NOR East Republican is more liberal than the average Southern Democrat
    The "TEA Party" voters were already Republican (Conservative) voters that have become active in primaries.

    It appears the bar for a candidate only exists for Republicans or more to the point conservatives. And that anyone is acceptable if they are a Democrat. (Google "Diaper Davis"/"Abortion Barbie")

    Not to single out one in particular but was Joe Biden (Senator 1973~2008) the best and brightest that Delaware had to offer?[:D]

    Choosing a "Moderate" (Democrat Lite) just to appeal to moderate voters in the long run is a loss of core principle. Compromising on principle (reaching across the aisle) is one of the things that has brought us to where we are now.



    You just need to study your history a bit more....you might start with Jefferson "reaching across the isle" to Hamilton to work out the deal for placing the capital in DC.....compromise is not a bad thing but the way to get things done...Jefferson knew it, so did Hamilton. That you and the "pure" folks like you don't get it does not surprise me one bit....and its that kind of thinking has got us what we got right now...from POTUS right on down. As to Biden....no, he was not the best to come from DE even as a Senator...Bill Roth holds that honor IMO. Biden could not pick up his briefcase...Roth IRA and all the rest. Great man that most have not heard about as he worked behind the scenes and he is missed. Biden, not so much.

    Wonderful example. This clears up a lot.

    "Congress passed the Residence Act as part of a compromise brokered between James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, and Alexander Hamilton. Madison and Jefferson favored a southerly site for the capital on the Potomac River, but they lacked a majority to pass the measure through Congress. Meanwhile, Hamilton was pushing for Congress to pass the Assumption Bill, to allow the Federal government to assume debts accumulated by the states during the American Revolutionary War. With the compromise, Hamilton was able to muster support from the New York State delegates for the Potomac site, while four delegates (all from districts bordering the Potomac) switched from opposition to support for the Assumption Bill.[1]

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residence_Act

    You support my bill and I will support yours (I would have supported both, but that is beside the point) is not the issue. I cannot find a moral equivalent between agreeing to support the Residence Act if you support the Assumption Bill (assuming rev.war debt) with pro life working across the aisle and agreeing to a little more funding of government funded abortion, or we support a balanced budget and the debt is too high but we will work together to raise the debt and spend more. Perhaps just a little more gun control (but not as much as they wanted, this time) is a good compromise reaching across the aisle and getting things done?

    Thank you for reinforcing my view of academics.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,254 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gary is beating the drum (historica) for the sake of the "Party"...which is no different than the "Party"....
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,741 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Tea Party was hijacked by progressive warmongers so there is no wonder as to why they fell out of favor with the people, many of whom have ditched the party for good.
    What's next?
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    The Tea Party was hijacked by progressive warmongers so there is no wonder as to why they fell out of favor with the people, many of whom have ditched the party for good.


    kimi....I think most folks wised up and got tired of losing to LIB DEN's time and again. Conservatives have a chance in Nov 2014 to take over the Senate if we stick together and to defeat Hillary in 2016, again, if we stick together. Yes, some folks have become disaffected with how things have turned out...but I believe in the old RR theory that 80% is better than nothing. MISS will be good test to see if the folks in MISS are smart enough to see that if they keep Cochran in power the state will control the most powerful committee in the Senate in 2015 if my seoond sentence comes to pass. Now if they turn him out then the state will have NO power in the Senate and will go to back of the line. The reality in the US is that third parties go nowhere and powerplayers know it so you got to play the hand you are dealt within the game that you are playing. That is why TP folks stay as REP....they ain't that dumb. So I think the Tea Party "thinkers" are just wising up and want to win in Nov and Nov 2016.....which is the smart play IMO.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,254 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope every Republican that's in office loses all elections....then Gary can take off is Elephant head and show his liberal self without recourse...[;)]
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    I hope every Republican that's in office loses all elections....then Gary can take off is Elephant head and show his liberal self without recourse...[;)]


    So the LIB DEM's can win? Some more of your sharp political thinkin'? Fortunately guys like you on the fringe right are in the distinct minority now as most thinking conservatives realize that its time to get the LIB's and their supporters (both direct and indirect, like you) so we can get this country turned around from eight years of terrible non-leadership. That you don't get it doesn't surprise me in the least....kinda like the loony "Occupy" movement on the left.
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    But winning with conservative republicans (Rino's) is just like losing to Lib Dems.

    Either Americans are really stupid, there really is a leftist majority or the vote is rigged even if it's just by brining in Immigrants to water down the vote.


    ibxn3c.jpg
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Waco Waltz
    But winning with conservative republicans (Rino's) is just like losing to Lib Dems.

    Either Americans are really stupid, there really is a leftist majority or the vote is rigged even if it's just by brining in Immigrants to water down the vote.


    ibxn3c.jpg


    Waco...really? Its this kind of absurd thinking which has led to eight years of BO, lost REP Senate seats to LIB DEM's, and several House seats. Americana are not stupid, particularly conservatives like me and millions of others who are just sick and tired of being called RINO's by folks who are actually REP in name only......like most Tea Party folks who still register REP. Lets quit fighting among ourselves and link arms and get the darn LIB DEM's our of control and keep Hillary from waltzing into the White House in 2016. If we keep this kind of backward indirect DEM thinking up, they are going to laugh (again) all the way to the White House.....and we can stop that from happening if we get it together.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,254 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Waco,its absurd thinking...because Dr.Gary said so....after all he is a Doctor of History! Academia has been "Doctoring"history for a very long time........Pork & Beans and Maple syrup...
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    Waco,its absurd thinking...because Dr.Gary said so....after all he is a Doctor of History! Academia has been "Doctoring"history for a very long time........Pork & Beans and Maple syrup...


    Why don't you keep the eye on the prize and attack the LIB DEM's rather than making yourself look like a fool and attacking me? Don't you get it? Quit attacking me and attack the LIB's like Hillary and Bill who are going to use you and your backward, old news thinkin' to try to waltz into the White House in 2016....like BO did in 2008/12. Get a grip and keep your eye on the prize....I am not your enemy but rather the Progressive DEM's that you indirectly support. Let's get together rather than hittin' each other.....keep focused on the REAL opponent...amd it ain't a Blue Dog like me![:)][:p]
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the obvious focus is on the Senate.

    Republicans believe a judge's role is to interpret the law, not make law from the bench. Judges in our federal court system, from district courts to the Supreme Court, should demonstrate fidelity to the U.S. Constitution. We trust the judicial system to base rulings on the law, and nothing else.

    How would a Senator that votes FOR confirmation of a nominee that clearly supports interpretation (Living Constitution) or at very least has not demonstrated fidelity to the Constitution be labeled?

    RHINO, establishment Republican, etc ?
  • joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah we should keep voting Republican because the tea party actually want change. Republicans have sat on their butts the last 6 or so years and have done nothing to stop the Democrats. why should we vote for a party that does nothing to stop the opposing party. they both go about the same things just in different ways. the two party system is old and outdated just like that thinking of voting Republican is going to change anything. two party system needs to be done away with. Time for a third party to shake things up... I have heard "You need to vote incumbent to save us from the other side or its a wasted vote" for way to long. At least the last three elections. When will there be a good time to get some fresh blood in there? Thats what I want to know, when can we get some fresh blood in office. I want change.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joker5656
    Yeah we should keep voting Republican because the tea party actually want change. Republicans have sat on their butts the last 6 or so years and have done nothing to stop the Democrats. why should we vote for a party that does nothing to stop the opposing party. they both go about the same things just in different ways. the two party system is old and outdated just like that thinking of voting Republican is going to change anything. two party system needs to be done away with. Time for a third party to shake things up... I have heard "You need to vote incumbent to save us from the other side or its a wasted vote" for way to long. At least the last three elections. When will there be a good time to get some fresh blood in there? Thats what I want to know, when can we get some fresh blood in office. I want change.


    joker5656...you make some good points. I think most conservative folks want change but the reality is that it is going to have to happen within the context of the two party system as the third party idea just helps the LIB DEM's. I think you are missing one key point...the REP House of Rep HAS stopped the DEM's for several years from doing MORE damage to our country....and I will admit that one reason for that has been the impact of the more conservative REP's in the House. I am even more convinced today that we as conservatives need to keep to RR idea of "I'll take 80%" rather than looking for perfection in every candidate. Conservatives need to stop attacking each other and look across the aisle to the REAL enenmy....the LIB DEM's and Hillary marching in to the White House in 2016. And "fresh blood" has been elected on the conservative side and it is having some good effect IMO. Our goal should be to make sure that a conservative Senate is elected in Nov 2014 and a conservative POTUS in 2016 and keep our eye on those two prizes IMO.
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    quote:Originally posted by joker5656
    Yeah we should keep voting Republican because the tea party actually want change. Republicans have sat on their butts the last 6 or so years and have done nothing to stop the Democrats. why should we vote for a party that does nothing to stop the opposing party. they both go about the same things just in different ways. the two party system is old and outdated just like that thinking of voting Republican is going to change anything. two party system needs to be done away with. Time for a third party to shake things up... I have heard "You need to vote incumbent to save us from the other side or its a wasted vote" for way to long. At least the last three elections. When will there be a good time to get some fresh blood in there? Thats what I want to know, when can we get some fresh blood in office. I want change.


    joker5656...you make some good points. I think most conservative folks want change but the reality is that it is going to have to happen within the context of the two party system as the third party idea just helps the LIB DEM's. I think you are missing one key point...the REP House of Rep HAS stopped the DEM's for several years from doing MORE damage to our country....and I will admit that one reason for that has been the impact of the more conservative REP's in the House. I am even more convinced today that we as conservatives need to keep to RR idea of "I'll take 80%" rather than looking for perfection in every candidate. Conservatives need to stop attacking each other and look across the aisle to the REAL enenmy....the LIB DEM's and Hillary marching in to the White House in 2016. And "fresh blood" has been elected on the conservative side and it is having some good effect IMO. Our goal should be to make sure that a conservative Senate is elected in Nov 2014 and a conservative POTUS in 2016 and keep our eye on those two prizes IMO.

    I agree completely. The fix is INTERNAL pressure on the Republican party, not to abandon and try pressure externally.

    I have never agreed 100% with any Politian, thou Ted Cruz comes real close...so far.[:D]

    But the only way to apply that pressure is via the TEA Party. It is the ONLY organized (OK not actually organized) voice. With 30~40%+ support for TEA Party endorsed primary candidates the GOP cannot help but take note.

    I see the method that is employed by the GOP. Defeat the 100% in the primaries and offer 70% to stop the liberal agenda. This ploy is to entice the Independents. It works for the most part ....when we all come together. For now that is just the way it is.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,254 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    Waco,its absurd thinking...because Dr.Gary said so....after all he is a Doctor of History! Academia has been "Doctoring"history for a very long time........Pork & Beans and Maple syrup...


    Why don't you keep the eye on the prize and attack the LIB DEM's rather than making yourself look like a fool and attacking me? Don't you get it? Quit attacking me and attack the LIB's like Hillary and Bill who are going to use you and your backward, old news thinkin' to try to waltz into the White House in 2016....like BO did in 2008/12. Get a grip and keep your eye on the prize....I am not your enemy but rather the Progressive DEM's that you indirectly support. Let's get together rather than hittin' each other.....keep focused on the REAL opponent...amd it ain't a Blue Dog like me![:)][:p]
    Thank you Gary, I have kept my eye on the prize! Cantor is OUT! The Tea Party Wins!....YAHooooooooooooooo[;)] (Blue Dog)? "Blue Dog Democrat"?
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What happened to the TEA Party Last Night?

    It was energized, though the big winner is Constitutional Governance going forward.

    Dave Brat seems a level-headed man from a fairly strong GOP district. It will be interesting to see if his message is received by the total electorate as well as it appears to have been received by the GOP Primary voters.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

    Brad Steele
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will Cantor endorse and support Brat?

    I hope he keeps his eye on the prize.
Sign In or Register to comment.