Trump bombed in the debate

us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,223 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Politics
At least, that is my opinion as he didn't do well at all and offered no real soultions IMO. Mostly complained things were broke and he could fix it ... but not how.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    First part of a solution is to acknowledge the problem. Trump seems to have a pretty fair handle on this.

Second part of a solution is a plan. Unfortunately under our present system there cannot be just one plan. Fact is there can be multiple plans but none will work without the general support of the public and the politicians presently in office.

What I'm saying is that the only plan I see as viable is a promise to begin to clean house on the first day in office. I'd acknowledge that at the beginning, at least, there would be some things I'd be unable to change. Four years of determined effort should at least make a dent in the system and we'd see where it went from there.

From any candidate I'd ask for the following:

1. Promise to uphold the laws of the United States. Period!

2. Promise to act totally within the limits of the Constitution. (This
    almost certainly would require the abolition of illegal laws
    now on the books.)

3. Promise to follow a path of financial responsibility no matter the
    political consequences.

4. Perhaps most important of all... Acknowledge that the office of
    president is one of service, not privilege. The President of the
    US is a servant of the citizens, not a master.

Make these promises and follow through with them or resign. In other words honesty in word and action. I simply don't think this is possible from a politician. I want a president who doesn't see shades of gray and isn't worried about a political future.

Is Trump the man? Honestly I don't know. My intuition says we could make a worse choice but it also says that we might do better. At least two other possible candidates presently fill the bill as I see it. We'll see what happens.
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,821
    edited November -1
    Plans have been offered for decades on how to fix the mess we were heading into and are now into. Books abound on he topic. You really don't need a new plan so much as you simply have to get rid of the obstructionists who keep common sense from being implemented as policy.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 30,917 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can't fix 20 trillion in debt and come out the other side whole and sound. You can't have almost all the federal budget (not like we have one) go to freebies and handouts and stay on a course of freedom for the individual.

There is no "fix it", there is only THE END; who knows what comes afterwords. I just hope I can live out the 38 years I plan on living with out the country going completely insane and solid Marxist.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,607 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1