NAFTA REVISED- ANOTHER WIN FOR TRUMP

us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,605 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in Politics
and the USA.

The agreement between the USA, Mexico and Canada signed by all three.

GO TRUMP![^]
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,925
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

and the USA.

The agreement between the USA, Mexico and Canada signed by all three.

GO TRUMP![^]

Heard Trudeau looked like he'd eaten a lemon, but signed the agreement.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 38,925
    edited November -1
    about fricking time...we have initiated and signed trade deals favoring other nations FAR TO LONG..hope their is some reel change in this
  • BarzilliaBarzillia Member Posts: 21,911 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without looking it up, can anybody tell me what the important features of the new agreement are ?
    "Anger has two children -.hope, and courage." Augustine, Bishop of Hippo

"Und es wird nicht hineingehen irgend ein Gemeines und das da Greuel tut und Luge,
    sondern die geschrieben sind in dem Lebensbuch des Lammes."
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 21,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Without looking it up, can anybody tell me what the important features of the new agreement are ?

One assumes it prohibits the importation of slide-fire stocks from either Canada or Mexico.

That, and Wisconsin gets to sell more cheese to Canada.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1

Cheated, looked something up.

USMCA 8 Major changes:
    https://www.lavery.ca/en/publications/our-publications/3139-the-new-nafta-8-major-changes.html

More explanation
    https://www.csis.org/analysis/nafta-usmca-whats-new-and-whats-next
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by droptop

Cheated, looked something up.

USMCA 8 Major changes:
    https://www.lavery.ca/en/publications/our-publications/3139-the-new-nafta-8-major-changes.html

More explanation
    https://www.csis.org/analysis/nafta-usmca-whats-new-and-whats-next

Besides auto production changes, what "major " changes do you find to cheer for ?

"Und es wird nicht hineingehen irgend ein Gemeines und das da Greuel tut und Luge,
    edited November -1
    The fact the name changed from Free Trade to USMCA and surprisingly Canada was the only other country to get two letters and Mexico only one.

One other item:
    The two most eye-catching changes to the deal could benefit car-manufacturing workers from all three countries and help spur investment in the North American industry.

The first provision requires that 75% - up from 62.5% - of the parts that go into a vehicle be made in the region to qualify for tariff-free treatment, a move intended to boost production in North America.

In true Trump fashion, everyone gets to be a winner.
    edited November -1
    I guess that's why all the cheering died down.

[:D][:D][:D]

edited November -1
    I guess that's why all the cheering died down.

[:D][:D][:D] That's what happens when you're winning, especially when compared to past experiences of losing all the time.

In addition 40-45% of a vehicle shall be made by workers earning at least $16 an hour - a measure aimed at discouraging firms from shifting work to lower-wage Mexico. (In the US, the average hourly pay for auto manufacturing workers was more than $22 as of June.)

These provisions are directed toward blue-collar workers in US manufacturing states, who share Mr Trump's critique of the deal. But they also offer a win to labourers in Canada and Mexico.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 21,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/us-trade-gap-widens-trump-china-tariffs

'The U.S. trade deficit skyrocketed to a 10-year-high in October, despite millions of dollars in tariffs levied by the White House and a campaign promise from President Trump to level America?s longstanding trade deficit with the rest of the world.'

I understand that many folks believe Trump is 15 moves ahead of our economic rivals, but I am having a hard time seeing how this is winning a trade war.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member Posts: 59,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/us-trade-gap-widens-trump-china-tariffs

'The U.S. trade deficit skyrocketed to a 10-year-high in October, despite millions of dollars in tariffs levied by the White House and a campaign promise from President Trump to level America?s longstanding trade deficit with the rest of the world.'

I understand that many folks believe Trump is 15 moves ahead of our economic rivals, but I am having a hard time seeing how this is winning a trade war.

My main question remains: why does anyone think a trade war is something that needs to be waged and/or won?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain