In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

highball?

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭✭
i want to buy a tank, can i do it?

i should be able to right.

Comments

• Options
    brickmaster1248brickmaster1248 Member Posts: 3,344
    edited November -1
    Aslong as its an Abrams tank[:D]
  • Options
    brickmaster1248brickmaster1248 Member Posts: 3,344
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootuadeal

I dont think theres any laws saying you cant have a tank but an operational gun on a tank might be another story.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brickmaster1248

I dont think theres any laws saying you cant have a tank but an operational gun on a tank might be another story.

does anyone have any spare 80mm ammo?[:D]
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I actually know of a tank or two in the area.

Operating guns are another matter under present laws.

My opinion is that in the period after reconstruction ..when the Beast is dead ..decent, honest FIGHTING men will sit down and decide the limits of the Second Amendment. They will decide it from the viewpoint of a couple hundred years of steady perversions of thewording of the Second...with an eye towards..."NEVER AGAIN"
    I believe it ought to be worth the death penalty for a politician to gain office and start working for gun control.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    I actually know of a tank or two in the area.

Operating guns are another matter under present laws.

My opinion is that in the period after reconstruction ..when the Beast is dead ..decent, honest FIGHTING men will sit down and decide the limits of the Second Amendment. They will decide it from the viewpoint of a couple hundred years of steady perversions of thewording of the Second...with an eye towards..."NEVER AGAIN"
    I believe it ought to be worth the death penalty for a politician to gain office and start working for gun control.

really, how much, ill come get one with my semi if it operable.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as someone has the land to shoot it on with a backstop I say why not--99% of the people out there couldn't afford to buy one anyways and the ones who can are more than likely not gang bangers. [:D]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1

Why not?

Misuse it and get hammered instantly. Brings the issue back to that old, punish the commission of a "bad act" concept, rather than the standard collectivist "restrict the object", or "attempt to prevent through control/regulation" approach.

I might well balk at chemical, or nuclear munitions for it, since they are indiscriminate mass-casualty weapons and are unable to be restricted to the individual target.

Look at the main-gun of your new tank, simply as a really large caliber rifle.[;)]

It would certainly make a great "tyranny restriction" statement, don't you think.[8)]
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    HB,
    Congrats, you got your own thread.[;)]
    Jeff, were you in the military?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau
    HB,
    Congrats, you got your own thread.[;)]
    Jeff, were you in the military?

Yep, US Army Military Police Corps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jeff,
    Have you ever seen first hand, (live fire exercise or combat) what the guns on a tank can do?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jeff,
    Have you ever seen first hand, (live fire exercise or combat) what the guns on a tank can do?

I know what a tank can do.

I also drew the chemical and nuclear munition analogy, with the knowledge that these are probably restricted to artillery, rather than a tank's main-gun. This was to illustrate the distinction though.

Before you go off and tell me what they will do, understand that our views are very different. I remember what your opinions are about full-auto's and other weapons restrictions. I simply disagree and would rather focus on the commission of "bad-acts", rather than prohibitions and "pre-control".

Just for the record, I know several people who own belt-fed full autos and field pieces. You probably haven't read about them committing mass-murder, or mayhem, in the papers though, have you?

You haven't read about me "nutting up" either, but if I, or my acquaintances were to do so, punishment should be swift and sure.

Gotta go to work now, I'll check back later.
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1

Why not? I know several people with cannons, quite capable of firing period projectiles. Put one in the back of a pick-up and you have a tank!
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shootuadeal, hey your neighbors on another forum wanting to buy a A-10 warthog. Do you guys get along?[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jeff,
    The point I am getting to is:
    I was involved in the arrest of a man (I shot him in the face with a load of buck shot) who took a full auto AK47 (illegally converted) on a shooting rampage in CS in April 1993. He killed two and wounded three others before I ended it.
    Now change this AK47 to a fully armed MBT!!![V]
    You are aware of the budget constraints on the LE community more so than most. Do you see a (realistic) problem in being equipped and trained to respond to a person whom has went 'postal' with a fully armed MBT????
    As far as a weapon of mass destruction, this is about as close as it gets in the real world.
    Do you honestly think the 2nd Amendment is violated when the 'individual' is restricted from owning a fully operational and fully armed MBT???????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes it is. If you recall some years back, an individual went on exactly that type of spree (sans ammo if I am not mistaken) and was shot dead in the tank by a Marine reservist who was on the job at the time. Used nothing more than a service pistol to end it. Point being, that it is that act, not the instrument that determines legality. Herein lies the flaw in all your thinking.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is your name Jeff????????????[}:)]
    Secondly, if this is the one in CA. He was shot dead by a LEO, ONLY AFTER HE HIGH CENTERED THE TANK ON A MEDIAN BARRIER, AND THE LOCK WAS CUT OFF THE HATCH!!!
    This just shows how little you know about and understand the REAL world!!![:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Uh-in the real world-there is no lock provision on the outside of the hatch of a tank. At least the ones I've actually been in!

And yes, that may be the one. The LEO was a Marine Reservist, who incidentally, happened to know his way around a tank. He simply opened the hatch and blasted away. Yes the tank was high centered. And yes it was the action that was illegal not the vehicle.

Stick to the point, and lay off the insults.
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Jim Jim Jim Jim....

You there? there? there? there.....

[B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The hatch was locked on the outside with a chain and paddle lock. If you saw the video on this you will note:
    1. This UNARMED tank (M-60 MBT) did hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage before the cops GOT VERY LUCKY by the tank hi-centering on the median barrier.
    2. The cops could only try and warn people it was coming and stay out of the way, but were powerless to take any direst action to stop it.
    3. If this 'weapon' was available to a civilian market, with armament in tact the LEO agencies would have to have them in their inventory, on patrol, and this would cost the tax payer of even small depts. millions. Not to mention the out cry of unrealistic people like you when the 'police have military weapons' on patrol.
    Just listen to the AH's scream and holler about the cops using individual weapons similar to the small arms the military uses (SWAT)![:(!]
    I hate to say this but you are as clueless as the anti-gun crowd is!!![;)]
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The hatch was locked on the outside with a chain and paddle lock. If you saw the video on this you will note:
    1. This UNARMED tank (M-60 MBT) did hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage before the cops GOT VERY LUCKY by the tank hi-centering on the median barrier.
    2. The cops could only try and warn people it was coming and stay out of the way, but were powerless to take any direst action to stop it.
    3. If this 'weapon' was available to a civilian market, with armament in tact the LEO agencies would have to have them in their inventory, on patrol, and this would cost the tax payer of even small depts. millions. Not to mention the out cry of unrealistic people like you when the 'police have military weapons' on patrol.
    Just listen to the AH's scream and holler about the cops using individual weapons similar to the small arms the military uses (SWAT)![:(!]

I think I remember a guy in an armored "dozer" doing a heck of a lot of damage also, some years back.

The guy built it himself BTW,......I am sure you are aware of what I speak of.

What's the difference?
    The crime was the same, and the end result was the same. The operator was killed finally.

A person intent on committing a criminal offense will not be stopped.
    They can only be killed, or hung,......imprisoned afterwards.

Jim,.......I truly am sorry that your AK incident has affected you for all of this time. I told you once before I was happy you stopped the individual.
    It was self converted, not sold as a FAW.
    Always have been nutcases,......always will be.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1

So you admit to being clueless. I admire your honesty. clapping.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rock,
    You are more entertaining than HB. [}:)]
    Why don't you try and say something intelligent for a change?[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Marc,
    The dozier is not equipped with a main gun and coaxial machine guns, and is about 20% as heavy, and even with some plates welded on it is not a armored vehicle. Comparing a tank to a dozier, even with armored plate welded on is like comparing a hand grenade to a 2000 lb bomb.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Marc,
    The dozier is not equipped with a main gun and coaxial machine guns, and is about 20% as heavy, and even with some plates welded on it is not a armored vehicle. Comparing a tank to a dozier, even with armored plate welded on is like comparing a hand grenade to a 2000 lb bomb.[;)]

I was not comparing the size or weight,.....I was talking about the damage done, and the length of time it took to stop the guy.

He did as much if not more damage than your tank did, and took longer for the "authorities" to take him out. He sealed himself in!
    Actually I believe he killed himself when the engine blew.

This was all done by a regular "schmoe" in a garage, over a property dispute.

Simply attempting to make a point,.......guess it didn't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYklNjxzbCE
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Marc,
    You are missing the point. The 2nd Amendment doesn't have anything to do with a tracked vehicle, UNLESS IT IS EQUIPED WITH 'ARMS'.[;)]
    You can take a large construction vehicle, rock truck comes to mind, and run over and into a lot of things and cause a lot of damage. No comparison to what a FULLY armed MBT can do with it's firepower![:(]

JEFF, where did you go?????[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jim,.......the example you presented was an unarmed tank.
    I believe that I get it BTW.
    I was making a comparison of what a regular "joe" did in a garage that equates to your example.

Fully armed tanks running in the street owned by PD's, and private citizens is another matter.
    I was referencing your example only.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Focus on the highlighted phrase above. The term "bear" is used. During the time that the constitution was written, the term "bear" meant "carry." It is evident that the framers meant that the individual right to be armed referred to weapons that one could carry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Marc,
    If you reread my post about the AH with the AK you will see I ask how this would compare to a person going postal with a fully armed MBT![;)]
    My discussion about the unarmed MBT was in response to code's post![:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rock,
    Very interesting! I never thought of it as that restrictive. But I can see where you are coming from.[?]
    There were 'cannons' in the local armory's even after the 2nd Amendment was in force. I don't know that any 'individual' owned them though.[;)]
    A little food for thought!
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Rock,
    There were 'cannons' in the local armory's even after the 2nd Amendment was in force. I don't know that any 'individual' owned them though.[;)]
    A little food for thought!
    No doubt there were cannons in the armories after the constitution was written. So what? They were not weapons that an individual could carry, whether he owned them or not.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bear can mean to 'present' them when need also. But Like I said I do see your point![;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Marc,
    If you reread my post about the AH with the AK you will see I ask how this would compare to a person going postal with a fully armed MBT![;)]
    My discussion about the unarmed MBT was in response to code's post![:)]

Jim,.......I'm not trying to harass you. I agree with some others here in the respect that I believe you would be good to stand next to in a SHTF situation.
    You are SO close![:D]

I will now respond to your exact "question" per se.
    I tend to believe like rocklobster,........ANYTHING that can be carried, and used by an individual, should be legal.

Unfortunately for your beliefs, that means FAW, as well as anything else that comes down the pike that fits that description in the future.
    I guess the other stuff is open to interpretation as HB has mentioned before.

You can't let the incident with that self converted AK, taint your views of the 2nd Amendment.

Would you have been happier if the sicko was using a semi-auto AK, and still killed the same number?
    He was a criminal, and you saved us a lot of money taking care of the guy for life,.........OR the endless appeals.

For that,.....I salute you for a job well done.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Marc,
    It didn't taint my view. And I don't think you are harassing me. I used the publicity I got when I shot this guy and got the Medal Of Valor to let the media know, in no uncertain terms, I thought the current laws on the books which prevent or restrict the citizens from obtaining and carrying weapons were unconstitutional. I just happen to believe no right is absolute, there must and will be exceptions and restrictions because if not the victimizers will miss use the right to victimize others (violate others rights).[:D]
    Unfortunately it did not take him out, only three pellets struck him in the face, and none penetrated his skull. He survived. This is why I am no fan of buck shot. This was the second shooting I shot someone with buck shot and they survived![:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry HB, I didn't mean to hi-jack YOUR thread, but as you know I have almost as big a mouth as you![8D]
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Geez S. Crist. No wonder the anti-gun crowd has in the past, and will in the future, kicked our gun-owing *. Here is a lengthy, drawn-out debate, (among pro-gun people for God's sake) about whether or not civilians should own tanks.

Hey people, the anti-gun crowd is not wasting their time, nor fighting among themselves like we do, and they are preparing to kick our *. YoBama and his crowd will soon be taking our .22's and here some people debate owning tanks.

What the hell, we all deserve to lose because we are stupid.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Me thinks I hear a cricket chirping?
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry HB, I didn't mean to hi-jack YOUR thread, but as you know I have almost as big a mouth as you![8D]

[:D] [:D] [:D]
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    quote:Geez S. Crist. No wonder the anti-gun crowd has in the past, and will in the future, kicked our gun-owing *.

No, actually it's because fools believe that the NRA is fighting the battle for them, that's why the * kickin'. Don't let your enemy fight your battle if you want to win.[}:)][:(!]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf
    quote:Geez S. Crist. No wonder the anti-gun crowd has in the past, and will in the future, kicked our gun-owing *.

No, actually it's because fools believe that the NRA is fighting the battle for them, that's why the * kickin'. Don't let your enemy fight your battle if you want to win.[}:)][:(!]

You want to guess how many letters I have received in the past weeks from the NRA, as my membership expires in November?

Oh the humanity,........pleading from Wayne concerning possibly missing his other communications, and the opportunity to contribute to his 900K salary.

Almost forgot,.......he is protecting my "rights",..........RIGHT![:0][}:)][;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    900K[:p]
    Where do I apply!!!![8D]