In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Illinois gubernatorial candidates on guns C&P

Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
Ill. gubernatorial candidates on guns

Associated Press - December 12, 2009 2:34 PM ET

The Associated Press recently asked candidates for Illinois governor questions about gun-control legislation.

Here are highlights of their answers:

QUESTION: "Would you sign or veto legislation banning the sale and possession of semiautomatic assault-style weapons in Illinois?"

REPUBLICANS

Adam Andrzejewski: "Would veto a ban on semiautomatic 'assault weapons' in most circumstances. It comes down (to) law abiding citizens having the right to defend their life, liberty and property."

Bill Brady: "I am opposed to any further restrictions to the ownership of firearms as guaranteed in the Bill of Rights and would veto legislation banning the sale and possession of semiautomatic weapons."

Kirk Dillard: "Without having more sufficient detail, including the definition of an "assault-style weapon," and for what circumstances the use of these weapons would be approved, this question is difficult to answer."

Andy McKenna: "I believe in the Second Amendment and law abiding citizen's right to own firearms to protect their families and for sporting purposes.

Dan Proft: "I would veto such legislation. ... I believe arbitrary gun bans are unconstitutional and would oppose such bans."

Jim Ryan: "I would sign it provided it was narrowly drawn and did not violate our 2nd Amendment rights."

Bob Schillerstrom: "I would sign constitutionally sound legislation banning assault weapons in Illinois."

DEMOCRATS

Dan Hynes: "I would sign legislation banning the sale and possession of semiautomatic assault-style weapons in Illinois.

Current Governer Pat Quinn: "I would sign legislation banning the sale and possession of semiautomatic assault-style weapons."

William "Dock" Walls: "I would sign such legislation."

GREEN PARTY

Rich Whitney: "If it truly and accurately defines assault weapons in a manner that does not impair the rights of lawful gun owners to possess firearms for defensive purposes, and respects the rights of legitimate gun collectors, then yes, I would sign it."

QUESTION: "Would you sign or veto legislation allowing concealed-carry for handguns?"

REPUBLICANS

Adam Andrzejewski: "I would sign it. ... Law abiding citizens have this right."

Bill Brady: "Constitutional rights should be afforded to eligible, law-abiding Illinois citizens, and therefore concealed carry should be legalized.

Kirk Dillard: "With proper training and thorough background checks, and dependent upon the exact language drafted in the legislation, I could support allowing concealed-carry for handguns as almost every other state in the nation has done."

Andy McKenna: "I am opposed to concealed-carry legislation."

Dan Proft: "I would sign right to carry legislation."

Jim Ryan: "I would veto. I believe reasonable people can differ on this issue but on balance, drawing from my experience as a law enforcement official, I believe we are better off without concealed-carry."

Bob Schillerstrom: "I would veto legislation allowing concealed carry for handguns. I am a supporter of the Second Amendment; however, I do not believe that concealed carry is a solution for reducing crime in the State of Illinois."

DEMOCRATS

Dan Hynes: Hynes didn't take a position on concealed carry in general but did say he opposes a new law letting people bring concealed guns into someone else's home if they have permission.

Current Governer Pat Quinn: "I would veto legislation allowing concealed-carry for handguns."

William "Dock" Walls: "I would veto conceal and carry legislation."

GREEN PARTY

Rich Whitney: "I would sign legislation allowing concealed-carry or open carry - although ... I would prefer that any such legislation allow individual counties to opt out if they so chose."

Comments

• steveaustinsteveaustin Member Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good read, thanks. 2010 will be an interesting voting year.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The real problem is I'll bet 95% of these candidates(and I use that term loosely)and 99.99% of the voters has ever read the 2nd amendment, much less the constitution in general.[:(]

Hell I'd even bet 99% couldn't comprehend it if they did read it.[:(!]

If our forefathers were alive today there would be a serious rope shortage. [:p]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    Ill. gubernatorial candidates on guns

Associated Press - December 12, 2009 2:34 PM ET

The Associated Press recently asked candidates for Illinois governor questions about gun-control legislation.

Here are highlights of their answers:

QUESTION: "Would you sign or veto legislation banning the sale and possession of semiautomatic assault-style weapons in Illinois?"

REPUBLICANS

Adam Andrzejewski: "Would veto a ban on semiautomatic 'assault weapons' in most circumstances. It comes down (to) law abiding citizens having the right to defend their life, liberty and property." FAILURE

Bill Brady: "I am opposed to any further restrictions to the ownership of firearms as guaranteed in the Bill of Rights and would veto legislation banning the sale and possession of semiautomatic weapons." FAILURE

Kirk Dillard: "Without having more sufficient detail, including the definition of an "assault-style weapon," and for what circumstances the use of these weapons would be approved, this question is difficult to answer." EPIC FAILURE

Andy McKenna: "I believe in the Second Amendment and law abiding citizen's right to own firearms to protect their families and for sporting purposes. EPIC FAILURE

Dan Proft: "I would veto such legislation. ... I believe arbitrary gun bans are unconstitutional and would oppose such bans." FAILURE

Jim Ryan: "I would sign it provided it was narrowly drawn and did not violate our 2nd Amendment rights." EPIC FAILURE

Bob Schillerstrom: "I would sign constitutionally sound legislation banning assault weapons in Illinois." EPIC FAILURE

DEMOCRATS

Dan Hynes: "I would sign legislation banning the sale and possession of semiautomatic assault-style weapons in Illinois. EPIC FAILURE

Current Governer Pat Quinn: "I would sign legislation banning the sale and possession of semiautomatic assault-style weapons." EPIC FAILURE

William "Dock" Walls: "I would sign such legislation." EPIC FAILURE

GREEN PARTY

Rich Whitney: "If it truly and accurately defines assault weapons in a manner that does not impair the rights of lawful gun owners to possess firearms for defensive purposes, and respects the rights of legitimate gun collectors, then yes, I would sign it." EPIC FAILURE

QUESTION: "Would you sign or veto legislation allowing concealed-carry for handguns?"

REPUBLICANS

Adam Andrzejewski: "I would sign it. ... Law abiding citizens have this right." FAILURE

Bill Brady: "Constitutional rights should be afforded to eligible, law-abiding Illinois citizens, and therefore concealed carry should be legalized. MAJOR FAILURE

Kirk Dillard: "With proper training and thorough background checks, and dependent upon the exact language drafted in the legislation, I could support allowing concealed-carry for handguns as almost every other state in the nation has done." EPIC FAIL

Andy McKenna: "I am opposed to concealed-carry legislation." EPIC FAIL

Dan Proft: "I would sign right to carry legislation."

Jim Ryan: "I would veto. I believe reasonable people can differ on this issue but on balance, drawing from my experience as a law enforcement official, I believe we are better off without concealed-carry." EPIC FAIL

Bob Schillerstrom: "I would veto legislation allowing concealed carry for handguns. I am a supporter of the Second Amendment; however, I do not believe that concealed carry is a solution for reducing crime in the State of Illinois." EPIC FAIL

DEMOCRATS

Dan Hynes: Hynes didn't take a position on concealed carry in general but did say he opposes a new law letting people bring concealed guns into someone else's home if they have permission.
    EPIC FAILURE

Current Governer Pat Quinn: "I would veto legislation allowing concealed-carry for handguns."
    EPIC FAILURE

William "Dock" Walls: "I would veto conceal and carry legislation." EPIC FAIL

GREEN PARTY

Rich Whitney: "I would sign legislation allowing concealed-carry or open carry - although ... I would prefer that any such legislation allow individual counties to opt out if they so chose." FAIL

What a pack-o-tools.

A microcosm of new 'a'merica and the globalist-collectivists that infest it.
    edited November -1
    lt496 that was an awfull lot of work to sum up Hellinois.

Our previous Governer Blagojavich is under federal indictment and our Governer before him, Ryan is still serving a 6-1/2 year sentence.

Only two words come to mind for me Constitutional Incompetence!!
  • steveaustinsteveaustin Member Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nicely done Jeff.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Words have meaning and often they are windows into the underlying ethic/philosophy that guides one.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sadly, Chicago will carry the state. Take Chicago out of the picture, and Illinois would be a much better place to live.
    Southern Illinois Resident
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    Sadly, Chicago will carry the state. Take Chicago out of the picture, and Illinois would be a much better place to live.
    Southern Illinois Resident

Being a nothern resident I hate chitcago as much if not more than you do slum.
    I couldn't agree more with your statement.