In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Straw Purchase

ron65ron65 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
What exactly is a straw purchase and why should a gift to family or friend be considered a straw purchase Ron

Comments

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A straw purchase is when one person buys a firearm for another person, who CAN NOT LEGALLY own a firearm themselves. The straw purchase is when you buy a gun on behalf of someone who cannot or will not buy it for himself and your intent is to circumvent the law.

Nothing in the law prevents a person buying a GIFT for another person.

Gifting is specifically mentioned in the FAQ page of the BATF.
    Although this is about juveniles, from their (BATF's) very own page, GIFTING is allowed.

quote:(B14) May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)?

YES.
    Blah....blah....blah....
  • Options
    cordocordo Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Straw purchase law is intended to keep one individual with a clean record, so far, from buying a firearm for a person judged not capable of legal firearm ownership. As I said in my first post, the person with me was my son. In addition, the real silly part was we were buying a Browning 22 semi-automatic rifle costing $535.00! I would LOVE to know how many robberys have been committed with a 500 dollar boy's rifle. Had I been buying 5, Hi-point 380s, at 99 dollars each, OK, then that may raise questions. But, even then, without any proof, it is simply profiling. We search old ladies in wheel chairs at the airport because we are afraid of being accused of profiling but when it comes to buying a firearm it must be fine, even encouraged.
    I wrote a letter to the store's national management in which I asked that, had my WIFE handed me 300 dollars of our Christmas shopping money, would they still have refused the sale? Of coarse, no answer. Sorry all, for my ranting about this but, it is an insult to both my self and my common sense that this happened.
    There seems to be alot of arguing on this form just for the sake of argument, and the fact that is OK seems lost on some. If we want to have one right we must be willing to deal with all rights. When we select which rights are OK and which are not we give way too much power to those who are making that choice. I choose to be free and take my defense and the defense of my family as my responcibility.