In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Valid Concerns or Y2K style Marketing?

DanLewisDanLewis Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
I remember about 10 years back when it was widely believed that the world as we knew it then was about to be disrupted by the simple coming of the year 2000, supposedly because computers were not programmed to see beyond 1999, or some such detail. With so much of our society like power plants and water departments computer controlled, this inspired alot of concern that led to the largest mass population purchase and stockpiling of survival supplies since the old fallout shelter mania of the late 50s and early 60s,boosting incredible sales of everything one might need to survive, from toilet paper to weapons and ammo.

As most of us recall, a huge amount of stuff was bought and stockpiled nation-wide, but on New Year 2000 (also known as Y2K "Year Two Thousand")the lights never so much as flickered, and alot of folks were left with plies of stuff that they have never needed, some ten years later...

and ALOT of merchandisers made ALOT of money on people's fears, and on our natural desire to be ready, to survive.

Now, I have owned and enjoyed using a number of fine weapons for almost 50 years, and consider it my right as an American. As an
outdoorsman, I like to try to be ready for the unexpected events that can occur in life, wether it be weather related or otherwise.
But I'm also a sceptic, and I've watched many times over the years as "we, the People" have been sold alot of "pigs in a poke", or in other words, been asked to believe alot of things that were later proved false.

For several years now, I keep hearing about how the government is going to take our guns, and believe me, I don't like that idea anymore than you do. So I've been watching alot of news, reading alot of newspapers and trying to see where this might actually be happening. So far, the only mention I can actually find of this is
rumor and "commentary", no actual legislation or proof.

I personally believe that no American government, no matter how far Right or Left, would be stupid enough to even try to "take our guns",
even if they wanted to; our history speaks for itself. I'm still watching for any hard news about this, and will continue to. So far,
the real action is in massive sales, stock-piling against the much rumored "gun taking".

So I'm wondering...with guns and ammo sales at historically massive levels, with arms and ammo makers reportedly working around the clock
to keep up with current demand, are these concerns about "Big Brother" coming around to confiscate our guns really valid, or does anyone else smell a whiff of Y2K-style fear marketing?

I'm not about to lay down my weapons or my rights, but I'm also very sceptical and annoyed when any group of people with any agenda
use fear and hate mongering to sell us anything, wether it be goods, services or ideaology.

We are increasingly divided as a country by fear mongering,
and we are all weakened by that division.

World War Two united us all against a common enemy;
while I hope we never see war on that scale again,
I'd like to see that unification in this country again.

It occurs to me that part of being vigilant is to be aware of any
entity or message that seeks to divide us against ourselves;
some of the greatest threats we collectively face as a nation
are greed and fear mongering.

All this is not to convince you of anything; I'm just trying to think my way through all this, instead of just reacting.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Since 1968, I have observed the government steadily diminish the ability of private citizens to freely own and shoot the weapons of our choice.

In the exact same time frame, the government has drastically increased taxes, and IMMENSELY increased its dirty fingered reach into our daily lives.

Increasing its power DAILY over the average citizen in every area.

The BEST proof of what is coming is to look at history. Nearly every government has turned upon its citizens at some point in time. Those that instituted Gun Control eventually graduated to killing fields, and slit trenches.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I will echo what Highball has said.

I remember the gun confiscations of Katrina. I also remember the laws passed afterwards to "stop" future gun confiscation. All that "law" work can quickly be over-ridden by declaration of marshall law.

Will it be done nationwide? We will see. Who knows.

One thing certainly SHOULD be crystal clear. Our nation is in the toilet.
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DanLewis

I personally believe that no American government, no matter how far Right or Left, would be stupid enough to even try to "take our guns", even if they wanted to

Dan,

They have, to a degree.

Look at the current restrictions/regulations on the books today. For example, NFA 34 in conjunction with provisions of FOPA 86 make owning a selective-fire weapon cost prohibitive to the majority of the population due to the over-inflated prices of said weapons.

Eventually, they would like to follow the same path with all firearms, and eventually, pass a prohibition on private ownership of ANY firearm. That is the one roadblock to the totalitarianism they wish to see.

It's not a question of 'are they stupid enough', rather, are they 'evil' enough, and yes, they are indeed.

Now, I do believe some folks have used the election of our present administration to their advantage, simply because there is a "D" beside his name. Make no mistake, I believe he loathes the RTKBA, but no more than past administrations, including those under an "R".

For example, when BHO was elected, many folks burned up message boards, emails, phone lines, etc with, "Well, get yer guns while you still can! He's gonna take em!"

Where were these same folks during the last administration when GW said he would sign the AWB if it came to his desk? You didn't hear a g.d. peep from them. Wanna know why? Because they were caught up in the R vs D 'dance'; you know, "R" = pro-RTKBA and "D" = anti-RTKBA. What hogwash.

The sooner folks wake up and realize the ultimate goal of both parties is TOTAL control of the populace, the better chance our Republic has in being restored.

By some folks standards, I'm still a young fellow (36), but I saw the writing on the wall years ago. I didn't get caught up in the 'panic' buying, because laying up for that 'rainy day' is just good practice, no matter the political climate.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Roosevelt said it right...
    "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

The fear mongering has only just begun. Sells airtime and news.

Pray for peace!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any of you folks understand the difference between 'fear-mongering'...and being urged to 'be ready' ???
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Any of you folks understand the difference between 'fear-mongering'...and being urged to 'be ready' ???

Is that a retoricle question? [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Actually..it is directed towards those denigating 'being prepared'.