In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

owning a firearm w/ a misdemeanor?

dieselcowboydieselcowboy Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Last april i was convicted of a misdemeanor. I was pulled over and the cops found my loaded 9mm in my truck. I was charged with a felony but not convicted of a felony. I have looked over what few federal and ky state laws i could find. for some reason, it's hard to find specifics on the internet. I can't find anything that prohibits me from from buying or owning a gun, or getting my ccdw permitt. Does anyone know if I can own or buy a gun? Can i get my permitt?

Comments

• Options
    mlitemlite Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    there is no law or statute that prevents you from buying, owning, or getting a ccw permit. that being said, your conviction MUST be a misdemenor. if it aint too personal, what exactly were you charged with, depending on the charge you might have some problems with clearing a background check
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Federally, unless it was a misdemeanor crime of "domestic violence" it shouldn't stop you from buying or owing a firearm.

You should be able to find ALL your state laws on the internet.

Google "revised statutes Kentucky" and you should find them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlite
    there is no law or statute that prevents you from buying, owning, or getting a ccw permit. that being said, your conviction MUST be a misdemenor. if it aint too personal, what exactly were you charged with, depending on the charge you might have some problems with clearing a background check
    I was charged w/ the misdemeanor for the concealed 9mm.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    Federally, unless it was a misdemeanor crime of "domestic violence" it shouldn't stop you from buying or owing a firearm.

You should be able to find ALL your state laws on the internet.

Google "revised statutes Kentucky" and you should find them.

I should have been more specific. The 9mm was concealed. It was a keltec. It looks like a sub machine gun. Not a hand gun. I plead guilty so the felony was dropped, they kept my gun and I didn't go to jail for it.
  • Options
    mlitemlite Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    then you should have no problem at all
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To be certain. Contact a attorney in your state that specializes in gun law. Usually they can answer that type question for free...
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a link to search results to a Guru for northeastern law. He has written a few books and represents the knife lobby...
    http://tinyurl.com/yzvzm92

Evan Nappan supposed to be the best

Edited ONLY to shorten the link. [;)]
  • Options
    steamingutpilesteamingutpile Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only misdemeanor that'll keep you from getting a gun is domestic violence in most states. Go ask the judge you pled guilty in front of and ask him to give you a letter for return of the seized gun if it was legally purchased and owned by you and you weren't convicted of a felony it should be restored.

See my post about getting gun rights back.
  • Options
    brickmaster1248brickmaster1248 Member Posts: 3,344
    edited November -1
    I am under the impression according to one of the questions on the 4473 that ANY crime that is punishable up to a year in jail whether you get a year in jail or not will disqualify one from buying a firearm. Class A misdemeanor could get somwone a year in jail in Kentucky...probably not likely but thats not what the question asked on the form.

Please feel free and correct me if im wrong please.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brickmaster1248

I am under the impression according to one of the questions on the 4473 that ANY crime that is punishable up to a year in jail whether you get a year in jail or not will disqualify one from buying a firearm. Class A misdemeanor could get somwone a year in jail in Kentucky...probably not likely but thats not what the question asked on the form.

I believe the question reads.......
    "for a term exceeding one year"
    Misdemeanors are punishable for a term up to one year.

That ONE DAY makes the difference.
  • Options
    brickmaster1248brickmaster1248 Member Posts: 3,344
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    quote:Originally posted by brickmaster1248

I believe the question reads.......
    "for a term exceeding one year"
    Misdemeanors are punishable for a term up to one year.

That ONE DAY makes the difference.

Ahh....Ok then, I stand corrected. What a difference a day makes huh?
    thanks