In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Concealed carry vs. Open carry

cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
In the good old days an armed citizen was routine and commonplace. A gun was a tool to be used for a specific job or task. If the job was hunting game, then the appropriate shotgun or rifle was carried. If the task at hand was self defense from 2 or 4 legged beasts then a pistol may have been the tool of choice. In recent times, the notion of self preservation/protection is seen as extreme or a philosophy long outdated. While m any of us believers carry at all times, there is a large majority of Americans that would never consider it their responsibility to care for themselves. The old adage rings true. "When you need the police this second, they will be there in minutes (or hours if you live too far away). Carry concealed or open, just ALWAYS carry.

Comments

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its sad but for most places in this great land. It is unlawful to carry without great efforts. Some of us are programmed to believe by the powers that be. We are safe and secure.
    The way it looks its going to get harder all around.
  • Options
    cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I try to follow the old BoyScout motto: Always be prepared. Armed or Arms close by at all times. Concealed anytime I'm on the road, out of state or out at night.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    As I said, read and make up your own mind. Unlike the NRA bashers here, I do not try and control anyones thinking.

But it is just inconceiveable to me that anyone could make the claim that the NRA is an enemy of gun rights when it has been in operation for over 100 years an has over 4 million members who believe in it enough to pay money for it.

I guess the NRA bashers here are smarter than those 4 million NRA members. Wonder why those geniuse NRA bashers don't play the stock market and get rich since they are so much smarter than everyone else.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    If fully understanding what four simple words strung together mean makes me 'smarter then 4 million NRA members'...then so be it.

Sad thing...knowing that one is surrounded by morons.

"Shall Not Be Infringed".
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    As I said, read and make up your own mind. Unlike the NRA bashers here, I do not try and control anyones thinking.

Neither do I.

I simply state the truth, and leave it up to folks to make up their own mind.

Problem is, if the truth were a hot coal, some folks on here could unknowingly sit on it and not even flinch.
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage
    Its sad but for most places in this great land. It is unlawful to carry without great efforts. Some of us are programmed to believe by the powers that be. We are safe and secure.
    The way it looks its going to get harder all around.

Absolutely false. Maybe in New Joisey and New'ork, but for most places in this great land, carry does not require much effort. More states have passed pro carry legislation in recent years than have tightened their laws.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Any 'law', local, state or federal, which prevents a responsible, respectable citizen from purchasing, owning, or carrying a 'weapon' (arm) is 100% unconstitutional!!
    This is just one example of how the progressives have normalized and legalized extremism in this country. And WE have allowed this to happen over the last 50+ years.
    Open carry is a 'right', it is stupid to do so in today's environment. To give up the element of surprise in a self defense situation is a terminal mistake. [:(]
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau
    Any 'law', local, state or federal, which prevents a responsible, respectable citizen from purchasing, owning, or carrying a 'weapon' (arm) is 100% unconstitutional!!
    This is just one example of how the progressives have normalized and legalized extremism in this country. And WE have allowed this to happen over the last 50+ years.
    Open carry is a 'right', it is stupid to do so in today's environment. To give up the element of surprise in a self defense situation is a terminal mistake. [:(]

Do you normally go around surprising people? For how many (non-police) citizens has open carry been a terminal mistake?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is common sense to those of us who have been in harms way A LOT!
    You are entitled to our opinion. And you may do as you please. But to let the adversary know:
    1. You are armed,
    2. What you are armed with,
    allows him to 'plan' his attack with the deck stacked in his favor.
    Those of us who have been there consider this giving the attacker to much intell. Just common sense!!! (this is reference the urban environment)
    But to each his own.
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Open carry is a 'right', [:(]

As is concealed. The RKBA doesn't stipulate. No need.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf
    Open carry is a 'right', [:(]

As is concealed. The RKBA doesn't stipulate. No need.

Correct, but my point was the carrying openly gives away the very important tactical advantage of SUPRISE!![;)]
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1

In red above.

You are of course totally correct and I agree with you 100%. And you would think that my position would not attract a great number of gunowners who consider me some kind of enemy of the constitution and of gun rights. But it does attract those people who demonize me.

The reason for that is we all agree on your above in red. But we DISAGREE on where to go from here in regards to interfacing with the REAL world. I want to keep myself and every peaceful gun owner out of jail when we go about enjoying our constitution rights. The people here who demonize me want to sit behind their keyboards and post comments about how their gun rights should be/are absolute and that the government has no right infringing on those rights. While I agree with that, I also want to see laws passed PROVING TO THE GOVERNMENT that it can't put me in prison for what it considers a gun right violation.

Others here just demand the government roll over and give them all their gun right. As long as our anti-gun opponents have at least 1/2 (or more) the power in America, that just plain ain't gonna happen.

Course at some point some here might actually get their eagerly anticipated destruction of society and their civil war.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:

quote:In red above.

You are of course totally correct and I agree with you 100%.

The problem, of course...both of you seem to feel that the only way to accomplish the task of keeping weapons out of the hands of NON-responsible, NON respectable citizens is through GOVERNMENT VETTING OF THE ENTIRE POPULATION of decent, Law abiding citizens...completely illegal under the Constitution.

Whatever the elites force us to do, fox, is on THEIR heads...not ours.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    quote:

quote:In red above.

You are of course totally correct and I agree with you 100%.

The problem, of course...both of you seem to feel that the only way to accomplish the task of keeping weapons out of the hands of NON-responsible, NON respectable citizens is through GOVERNMENT VETTING OF THE ENTIRE POPULATION of decent, Law abiding citizens...completely illegal under the Constitution.

Whatever the elites force us to do, fox, is on THEIR heads...not ours.

Every time you try and put words in my mouth you are WRONG!
    People must be 'managed', that is reality. The extent of this management MUST BE MINIMAL in a free society.
    You are a DREAMER, and there is nothing wrong with that as long as you don't try and think yours is the only dream that matters, and you are better (elite) because you feel this way. Your mentality is the EXACT same mentality as the anti-gunners who dreams of ALL guns being abolished. Both of you are entitled to dream, but reality will not allow either of your dreams to come true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox

In red above.

You are of course totally correct and I agree with you 100%. And you would think that my position would not attract a great number of gunowners who consider me some kind of enemy of the constitution and of gun rights. But it does attract those people who demonize me.

The reason for that is we all agree on your above in red. But we DISAGREE on where to go from here in regards to interfacing with the REAL world. I want to keep myself and every peaceful gun owner out of jail when we go about enjoying our constitution rights. The people here who demonize me want to sit behind their keyboards and post comments about how their gun rights should be/are absolute and that the government has no right infringing on those rights. While I agree with that, I also want to see laws passed PROVING TO THE GOVERNMENT that it can't put me in prison for what it considers a gun right violation.

Others here just demand the government roll over and give them all their gun right. As long as our anti-gun opponents have at least 1/2 (or more) the power in America, that just plain ain't gonna happen.

Course at some point some here might actually get their eagerly anticipated destruction of society and their civil war.

I couldn't agree more. I am tolerant of their beliefs, and wish them Gods Speed in their fight, but I know human nature and reality will never allow the 'pure' form of this Right to come to pass.