In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Other than the reason obvious to us

buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
what is the purpose of this legislation. I have not seen any info or analysis of it yet.

quote:HR 5175 Selectively Silences American Opinion

Obama Moves to Silence Gun Groups and Other Political Opponents
-- Bill clears committee hurdle, going to the House floor soon

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
http://www.gunowners.org

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Fresh from his efforts to seize government control of the health services sector (ObamaCare) and the financial markets ("finance reform"), Barack Obama has a new priority: silence his political opposition.

As satisfying as it was for Obama to seize control of one-sixth of the economy, he has had to suffer protest from the "little people" (like us). So he is pushing the Orwellian "DISCLOSE" bill (HR 5175) to make sure gun groups and other pro-freedom forces cannot mobilize their members in the upcoming elections.

When Obama says "disclose," what he really means is "disclose gun group membership lists"

Not surprisingly, these efforts to shut down free speech don'tapply to Obama allies, like Democratic-leaning labor unions. They only apply to groups which are not reliable Obama allies, like Gun Owners of America.

But, for those groupswhose free speech is targeted for Obama's wrath under this bill, the consequences are severe:

* Under Title II of the bill, GOA (and other groups, as well as many bloggers) who merely mention public officials within 60 days of an election could be required to file onerous disclosures -- potentially including their membership lists.

* Also under Title II, GOA could be required to spend as much as half of the time of a 30-second ad on government-written disclosures.

* In addition, Sections 201 through 203 would potentially put the government's snooping eyes on any American who voices a political opinion, despite the fact that the Supreme Court, in Buckley v. Valeo, declared that Americans have a right to voice their opinion to an unlimited extent, ifunconnected with a political campaign.

Here's an idea: If Obama is so irritated at the Supreme Court's defense of political free speech by groups like GOA, why doesn't heapply his sleazy new rules to his political allies, as well?

ACTION: Please urge your congressman to vote against the anti-gun HR 5175. This bill has moved out of committee and has now been placed on the House calendar.

You can use the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center at http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm to send a pre-written message to your Representative.

Pre-written letter

Dear Representative:

I urge you to oppose HR 5175, a bill that will deny the free speech rights of all Americans. Under Title II of this bill:

* Groups likeGun Owners of America (and other groups, as well as many bloggers) who merely mention public officials within 60 days of an election could be required to file onerous disclosures --potentially including their membership lists -- even though the Supreme Court has previously ruled in NAACP v. Alabama that membership lists (like those of GOA's) are off limits to government control.

* Also, groups like GOA and the NRA could be required to spend as much as half of the time of a 30-second ad on government-written disclosures.

* In addition, Sections 201 through 203 would potentially put the government's snooping eyes on any American who voices a political opinion, despite the fact that the Supreme Court, in Buckley v. Valeo, declared that Americans have a right to voice their opinion to an unlimited extent, if unconnected with a political campaign.

Here's an idea: If Obama is so irritated at the Supreme Court's defense ofpolitical free speech by groups like GOA, why doesn't he apply the new rules in HR 5175 to his political allies (like the labor unions), as well?

Suffice it to say, if you careanything about the First or Second Amendments, you will vote against HR 5175. GOA will be scoring this vote on their rating of Congress.

Sincerely,

Is there some "legitimate" excuse for this or are they hoping it will just fly under the radar?

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Gain names/information on gun owners and to quell the ability of organized informed opposition to the Globalist-Collectivist Party at election time.

This seems to be a rehash similar to McCain-Feingold, by all appearances.

Inhibit non-union pre-election information dissemination by liberty organizations.

And so it continues...Collectivism inevitably leads to totalitarianism.
  • cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    Gain names/information on gun owners and to quell the ability of organized informed opposition to the Globalist-Collectivist Party at election time.

Inhibit non-union pre-election information dissemination by liberty organizations.

LT, when do you think they will attempt to arrest TOO MUCH power? Do you believe that they will continue w/ Gradualism and Incrementalism or will they get antsy and try something BIG soon?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cccooper

LT, when do you think they will attempt to arrest TOO MUCH power? Do you believe that they will continue w/ Gradualism and Incrementalism or will they get antsy and try something BIG soon?
    I think that the end game is very near and that some 'critical incident', likely manufactured or deliberately allowed to occur, will give superficial cover/cause for some iron-* government power grab.

The incremental tactic has worked marvelously in its effectiveness of creating government dependent, slack-jawed, debt-slave drones, of several generations.

That coupled with incremental indoctrination of the people via the propaganda arm of globalist-collectivist government (the main stream media) and the government sponsored, globalist-collectivist-foundation funded indoctrination centers (schools), have all but eradicated any substantive knowledge of the founding principles, the Constitution and the ethic, philosophy and understanding of individualism and of individual liberty.

My prediction.......

I expect economic collapse preceding or subsequent to some 'terrorist event', followed by government exaggerated unrest and subsequently by marshal law. Travel will be restricted, electronic communications all but blacked out, internet totally censored or shut down to civilians, the Constitution suspended and round-ups of predetermined/pre-listed 'patriots' taking place.

To borrow a phrase from a fella I know, 'there will be blood' as this will be the starting point of armed revolt.

Chances of success, unknown, but revolt on some scale there will surely be.

I know, I know.....I am crazy as a loon and a clear danger to the very fabric of America for daring to think such things.
  • buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't think there would be any other reason than "boot on the neck".

Did just a little research on this and it appears to exist only to chill the freedom movement. Provide lists for persecution of patriots in the future.

quote:The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    Thomas Jefferson

Looks as if the time for refreshment is near.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:My prediction.......

I expect economic collapse preceding or subsequent to some 'terrorist event', followed by government exaggerated unrest and subsequently by marshal law. Travel will be restricted, electronic communications all but blacked out, internet totally censored or shut down to civilians, the Constitution suspended and round-ups of predetermined/pre-listed 'patriots' taking place.

To borrow a phrase from a fella I know, 'there will be blood' as this will be the starting point of armed revolt.

Chances of success, unknown, but revolt on some scale there will surely be.

I know, I know.....I am crazy as a loon and a clear danger to the very fabric of America for daring to think such things.

Aye...clear, concise, and predictive of the near future. Well said, Captain.
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cccooper

I think that the end game is very near and that some 'critical incident', likely manufactured or deliberately allowed to occur, will give superficial cover/cause for some iron-* government power grab.

Nailed it, Brother Jeff.[;)][:)]

This process of incrementalism has worked well up until now. The reason it has worked is the folks who have been practicing it are very patient, but......

Look at the general mindset of most folks nowadays. It's 'instant gratification.'

'I want it, I want it my way and I want it NOW.'

The folks in elected office are not immune to this mindset, and it is readily apparent their patience in the quest to totalitarianism is growing thinner by the day.

So, is this a 'bad' thing?

Not at all. Instead of slowly turning up the burner from "LO", they have set it just shy of "HI". Problem is, the frogs in the pot are starting to notice; well, at least some of them. The water that was once lukewarm is now starting to scald. Some of the frogs have felt it coming for a while. Others, desensitized to the slow, gradual changes, are starting to pipe up with, "Hey; what the F is going on here?!! Who turned up the heat?!!!"

As the water reaches the boiling point, more and more frogs will realize that unless they leave the confines of the pot, they're finished.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another law taking away our 1st amendment right.