In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Rights

worstenemy453worstenemy453 Member Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭
I am a new person when it comes to gun ownership.

Ive always been fascinated by guns, always wanted to have them. I am 18 so my life is young. I have a Mossberg 640T 22 Mag, About to buy a Benelli Super Nova and will buy a Black rifle in the near future as well as plenty of other guns as i get older.

I want to join an organization that will fight for my gun rights and will try to preserve the 2nd amendment. The first org that comes to mind is the NRA but i wanted to ask you guys if there are anymore or better organizations that i could look into.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    san a convicted felon's wife own guns in the same home? without being in jeapordy?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just wanted everyone to know that if you let law inforcement push you around on your 2nd ammendment rights you will lose them down the road. So if any of you all go to your local sherrif's dept and apply for a permit, and they dont give you an application and take your money to apply and then tell you to come back in a few days, they are screwing with you and you should demand to fill out the application right then. If they continue to say thats not the way they conduct business...Call your lawyer[/b], and take them to court. Unless they accept the application, they can jerk you around for ever. They have seven days after the application is submitted to either grant the permit or deny the permit. If they deny your permit they have to give you a written statement saying why they denied the permit. Then if the reason isnt within the guidlines you can take them to court and sue them. Pleas fight for what is rightfully yours and dont let anybody take your gunrights away without a fight. Its the only right we have left.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If convicted on a domestic assault charge, is there any way to get your gun rights back?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You only have the ones "They" let you have.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA BENEFACTOR-LIFE Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
  • Options
    coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November -1
    I hear pretty bad stuff about the NRA, I think the GOA has been mentioned at one time or another. IF it's not a gunrights organization, then it is just some random letterrs in my head for some reason...
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NRA is great!

They've been keeping us safe since 1934, 1968, 1986, and 1994. They devote 100% of the membership fees they get to defending the 2nd Amendment, and all the head people work as volunteers.

In other words, my vote is for the GOA.[^]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    All I know is the NRA supports Chinese baseball cap factories, Chinese LED flashlight factories and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the window sticker they sent me for my car was printed in China too.

In recent years the American Civil Liberties Union has gone to court in defense of private gun ownership, and won, on several occasions.

Maybe I should shift my NRA membership dollars to the ACLU?
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I'm smelling a troll...but the NRA is one of the worst anti-gun organizations on the planet...period. They are a wolf in sheep's clothing...and have deceived millions...working behind the scenes to strip you of your rights to own firearms.
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    I think I need to look into the GOA. I haven't been a member of the NRA for around the last 3 yrs or so. The last call I got from the NRA ('bout 3 months ago) went something like this:

Them: "Send us money to renew your membership, also we'll send you a free knife."

Me: "Where is the knife made?"

Them: "Can't answer that, don't know."

Me: "Tell you what. How about you quit spending so much of my dues on mailings asking me for more money. Also start buying your free gifts you send out here in America, and maybe, just maybe folks will re-up a little more. For now, I'm not renewing."

BTW, worstenemy453, in case you didn't know, green, italicized font is code for sarcasm.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No troll here.

I will admit i am ignorant of the subject which is shown by the fact that i thought the NRA was decent.

Ill look into the GOA and ACLU.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Forget the ACLU, It is a joke.

It isnt so much that the NRA wants to completely ban guns, it just doesnt want them protected, because it only makes money when people fear for their gun rights..

A targeted gun ban would actually be good for the NRA, it would justify its continued existence. As it ded during the gun bans back in the early ninties. Thats why it tried to torpedo the recent court hearings that re affirmed what the consitution already states is a god goven right.

Which in itself should tell you how few rights you actually have, if you think about it.

and it should also tell you how much you should trust the folks who get paid to "conserve" a right in america today.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That said the GOA gets my vote as well.

get hooked up to your local non NRA affiliated gun organizations as well, they will do more for your state then any national organization, because they will have the power to directly shape your state legislature.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    That said the GOA gets my vote as well.

get hooked up to your local non NRA affiliated gun organizations as well, they will do more for your state then any national organization, because they will have the power to directly shape your state legislature.

How do i go about finding local organizations ?

Is there a website that might have a list of them or something.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Found the GOA, seems like a great organization from just looking around on the website.

Now if i join now and pay the $20, will i need to repay in January again ? It says annual but they are calling it the 2010 membership. Maybe i should just wait until the first to join.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by worstenemy453
    Found the GOA, seems like a great organization from just looking around on the website.

Now if i join now and pay the $20, will i need to repay in January again ? It says annual but they are calling it the 2010 membership. Maybe i should just wait until the first to join.

GOA membership is 12 months from the day you pay.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Another vote for GOA, and also Second Amendment Foundation(SAF).
  • Options
    cactuspete1cactuspete1 Member Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BEWARE of anyone that says "Send me Money" and I will take up your fight for you. That goes for the NRA, GOA, and any other organization.
    None of them have accomplished much of anything in stopping the gun laws. Sure, a little here and a little there, but Major Issues they havent put a dent in them.[:(]
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    The Virginia Citizens Defense League is right in your backyard. Get involved with them. They're a good group and staunch supporters of the 2nd Amendment.

http://www.vcdl.org/
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    I'm smelling a troll...but the NRA is one of the worst anti-gun organizations on the planet...period. They are a wolf in sheep's clothing...and have deceived millions...working behind the scenes to strip you of your rights to own firearms.

Nah just young and ignorant... Everyone has been there..

OP- SAF or The CATO Institute have done the most in the last decade.
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    It's been estimated there are at least 20,000 local, state and federal rules, regulations and laws that are in direct contradiction to the 2nd amendmwent. And that number is growing. APPARENTLY THE 'GUN RIGHTS' ORGANIZATIONS ARE NOT DOING MUCH.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Sonny, you're ignorant, immature
    and should never own a firearm.
    Shut off the computer and go study
    or I'll spank you.I think mommie is
    calling.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lately, the Cato Institute, the GOA (Gun-owners of America), and the SAF (Second Amendment Foundation) have been leading the charge to repeal 2nd Amendment infringements.

The most prominent examples being Heller and McDonald, of course, but much good work, particularly by the SAF, has been done in local venues across the country.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    Another vote for GOA, and also Second Amendment Foundation(SAF).
    both of these get my vote as well.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First join a local group, there will be a "Smithville Gun Collectors Association" or "Ohio Gun Collectors" or something similar and real where you are.

Both NRA and GOA beg for more money, both have political agendas beyond the second amendment, but GOA does not pay the top offices millions per year.
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe
    All I know is the NRA supports Chinese baseball cap factories, Chinese LED flashlight factories and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the window sticker they sent me for my car was printed in China too.

In recent years the American Civil Liberties Union has gone to court in defense of private gun ownership, and won, on several occasions.

Maybe I should shift my NRA membership dollars to the ACLU?

Dont forget Rifle scopes with the NRA label....Made in China!!!
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong
    Sonny, you're ignorant, immature
    and should never own a firearm.
    Shut off the computer and go study
    or I'll spank you.I think mommie is
    calling.

I love how you come at me doing the same thing i was doing. I guess being a hypocrite is working for you moron.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    my NRA card is very nice. looks almost just like a credit card. my name member ID in raised letters. has the nra crest or emblem whatever its called on it. very nice looking. My GOA card is fairly plain looking. red card with the minute man holding his musket in the goa logo. had to right in my own name. No info on the back of it.

which organization uses more of its money to fight for our rights and which one wasts more money on pretty much worthless crap??

And last i knew GOA didnt have mandatory join up fees. can you give 50 bucks. great. 25 bucks. thank you. cant afford to give anything. thanks for joining. ive joined up family to the GOA.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If not a Troll, then perhaps a fishing expedition for a college final of sorts?

Ether way, if it quacks like a duck it isn't an insurance salesman![;)]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are going to shoot in Competition you must be a NRA member; that will remain that way until someone else steps up to sanction shooting sports. If you hunt it is wise to be an NRA member for the liability insurance. If you own guns it is wise to be an NRA member for the $1,000.00 gun coverage.

If you are wise you will tell the NRA to NEVER call or mail you asking for money.

You are wise to avoid the NRA-ILA like the black plague Evil twin to the devil it truly is.

My .02 and I'm stickin' to it.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The OP has been registered here since 2/08, and has over 250 posts. He wants us to believe that he hasn't read any of the threads in General Discussion pertaining to the NRA? Ya, right.

OK then, if not, read the sticky in this forum about the NRA-ILA.

quote:Originally posted by bpost
    If you are going to shoot in Competition you must be a NRA member; that will remain that way until someone else steps up to sanction shooting sports.
    You should be a bit more specific here. I have been shooting Competition for YEARS. Sometimes 3 matches per week (which is about as much as I want) and have NEVER been asked if I was a member of the NRA.

quote:Originally posted by bpost
    You are wise to avoid the NRA-ILA like the black plague Evil twin to the devil it truly is.
    Totally agree here.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Join them all. Some portion may go where you want it. Like paying taxes and union dues.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Join the NRA. Not perfect but nothing is. Some people here hate them, but I go to a lot of gun shows and never find NRA haters there. GOA is also good and do not forget your state rifle association if there is one.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    Join the NRA. Not perfect but nothing is. Some people here hate them, but I go to a lot of gun shows and never find NRA haters there. GOA is also good and do not forget your state rifle association if there is one.
    It isn't about hate.

It is simply about the FACT that they support gun-control and work with government to ensure a system of anti-constitutional gun-privileges, rather than standing against infringement.

This concept is regularly poo-poo'd or ignored by many, leading me to the inescapable concluson that those who do so are supportive of certain forms of gun-control also.

Gun-control is expressly contrary to the Constitution.

Willing and knowing support for an organization that promotes and furthers gun-control is clear support for gun-control.

Do the math.

It is a dirt-simple equation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Far as I can tell, it is a symbiotic relationship between the NRA and the government in so far as, gun control fits into the feds marxist agenda and the bans and threats of bans validate the existence of the NRA, meanng they make more money.

Thats why they never fight for consitutional carry and such. by doing so it would be pretty much the same as Robbing themselves of money. And they like money. Alot.

the threat of a ban ensures they get money, carry permits insures they get their cut of the proceeds of the permits.

It is about time someone replaces them as the group that fights for gun rights, and they just stick with training, and selling insurance and whatever else it is they peddle. then there would be no conflict of interests that compromise our gun rights away for profit.[;)]

Thats what the folks who are behind these law suites going to the supreme court are trying to do. Circumvent the strangle hold of the NRA to actually get gun rights insured, that once insured makes the NRA moot.

you follow me?

lt, the NRA had no hand in the passing of consitutional carry down in AZ did they?
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    Lately, the Cato Institute, the GOA (Gun-owners of America), and the SAF (Second Amendment Foundation) have been leading the charge to repeal 2nd Amendment infringements.

The most prominent examples being Heller and McDonald, of course, but much good work, particularly by the SAF, has been done in local venues across the country.

How about some specific examples to back up your claims? You will not find many example. I will agree on the Cato Institute and the Heller vs DC with the exception that the actual lawsuit was filed and funded by a lone, wealthy individual who just happened to be a prominent member of the Cato institute. In addition, if you are going to mention the Heller vs DC lawsuit you should also mention that the NRA had two of their lawyers in the courtroom arguing the case also.

And if you appreciate organizations like the Cato Institute filing pro-gun lawsuits in court, then why don't you appreciate the NRA for the countless lawsuits they have filed in court?

In regards to the other organizations you mention, they make some headlines on rare occasions, but I sadly have not seen many actual results from them.

You professional NRA haters now have premission to flame away. I may or may not read your comments and I most likely will definately not respond to them.
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox

How about some specific examples to back up your claims? You will not find many example. I will agree on the Cato Institute and the Heller vs DC with the exception that the actual lawsuit was filed and funded by a lone, wealthy individual who just happened to be a prominent member of the Cato institute. In addition, if you are going to mention the Heller vs DC lawsuit you should also mention that the NRA had two of their lawyers in the courtroom arguing the case also.

And if you appreciate organizations like the Cato Institute filing pro-gun lawsuits in court, then why don't you appreciate the NRA for the countless lawsuits they have filed in court?

In regards to the other organizations you mention, they make some headlines on rare occasions, but I sadly have not seen many actual results from them.

You professional NRA haters now have premission to flame away. I may or may not read your comments and I most likely will definately not respond to them.

Are you really brain dead? Or do you just pretend to be brain dead on GB forums? Why is such a vocal proponent of gun control even here?

NRA tried their best to torpedo Heller, as a proper ruling would have put the profit-side of their business, out of business. They were in panic mode. ONLY after having failed at that, did they step in and attempt to argue it from the weakest legal standpoint available, hoping to assure a wishy washy pro-gun-control, anti-liberty decision. Once again, they were successful, eh fox? Moron.[xx(]
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox

Your lack of response, Mr. Fox, would only mirror your lack of interest in the full tapestry of 2nd Amendment Rights activism.

In under a minute, the following was found on the SAF website. 'Sadly' is correct in that you spend inordinate amounts of time bemoaning those that do not support the NRA, but choose to remain purposefully ignorant of any activity outside the NRA/ILA. Sad indeed...

http://saf.org/default.asp?p=legalaction#index

From the link:

Gun Rights Legal Action

Index

NJ Permit Denial
    SAF Sues N.J. Officials For 'Deprivation of Civil Rights' On Permit Denials

DC Misdemeanor
    SAF Sues Eric Holder, FBI Over Misdemeanor Gun Rights Denial

Nordyke Lawsuit
    SAF Files Amicus Brief in Nordyke Case, Argues For Strict Scrutiny

Chicago Lawsuit #2
    SAF Sues Chicago Over Gun Range Prohibition On 1A, 2A Grounds

Maryland Lawsuit
    SAF Sues in Maryland Over Handgun Permit Denial

New York Lawsuit
    SAF Sues in New York to Void 'Good Cause' Carry Permit Requirement

North Carolina Lawsuit
    SAF Sues to Overturn North Carolina's 'Emergency Powers' Gun Bans

DC Handgun Carry Lawsuit
    SAF Sues District of Columbia over Carrying of Handguns

Seattle Parks Gun Ban Lawsuit
    Gun Rights Organizations Win Lawsuit to Stop Seattle Ban

CA Denial of Right Lawsuit
    SAF Challenges Arbitrary Denial of Right to Bear Arms in California

CA Roster Lawsuit
    SAF Challenges California Handgun Ban Scheme

DC Expat Lawsuit
    SAF Sues Eric Holder Over Gun Rights of Non-resident American Citizens

DC Handgun Roster Lawsuit
    SAF Challenges D.C. Handgun Ban Scheme

WA Alien Resident Lawsuit
    SAF, NRA Sue Washington State for Discriminating Against Alien Residents

Hayes Lawsuit
    SAF Files Amicus Brief in Hayes Case

Chicago Gun Ban
    SAF Files Lawsuit Challenging Chicago's Handgun Ban

DC Gun Ban
    SAF Files Amici Curiae Brief in Lawsuit; DC Gun Ban Ruled Unconstitutional

San Francisco Gun Ban
    SAF Sues to Overturn San Francisco Gun Ban

New Orleans Gun Grab Lawsuit
    SAF Stops New Orleans Gun Confiscation

Washington State Library Lawsuit
    SAF Sues Library System Over Internet Censorship of Gun Websites

Texas 'Sporting Purposes' Lawsuit
    SAF Files Texas Lawsuit Defending the Gun Rights of Citizens Living Abroad, Challenges 'Sporting Purpose' Restriction

Ohio 'Sporting Purposes' Lawsuit
    SAF Files Ohio Lawsuit Defending the Gun Rights of Citizens Living Abroad, Challenges 'Sporting Purpose' Restriction

Your dismissal of the CATO Institute's contributions are particularly telling in that in the McDonald case CATO pursued a true incorporation of the 2nd, only to be undermined by the NRA in their pursuit of a 'due process' incorporation. Obviously a due process incorporation sustains the NRA/ILA ability to milk monies from the gun rights sheep. A privileges and immunities incorporation would effectively put the NRA/ILA out of business, as it is a natural/human rights (I.E. Constitutional) approach.

If you had an actual interest or concern about our 2nd Amendment Rights, you would perform the due diligence to investigate that about which you speak. You would also take a little bit of time to try and understand why the NRA/ILA adopts the positions it adopts. As it is, you obviously have buried your head in the sand, accepted the 'Too big to challenge' mantra of the NRA/ILA, and either agree with the anti-Constitutional restrictions promoted by the NRA/ILA, or simply do not understand the difference between the NRA's 'Gun Rights' and CATO's (and the founders) '2nd Amendment Rights'.

Edit:

Mr. Fox, its been a full week. Any thoughts?
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited November -1
    That's a pretty good list, considering that they haven't been around all that long.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain