The Ultimate 2A Question ???

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,167 ✭✭✭✭
Simple question...let's try and not make it harder than it is.

If, for whatever reason, the US Government decided to outlaw personal firearms ownership by the citizenry, do you think this would result in the general firearms owning populace resisting using the very firearms the government wishes to take?

Now before you answer, understand this...

1. This question is not about what you would do personally. It is about what you think the general populace of firearms owners would do.

2. The situation is; a decision has been made at the highest levels that will require agents of the government to go house to house and seize all personal firearms. No ifs, ands or buts...100% seizure of all personal firearms.

Comments

• danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:do you think this would result in the general firearms owning populace resisting using the very firearms the government wishes to take?Not a chance.
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,167 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    quote:do you think this would result in the general firearms owning populace resisting using the very firearms the government wishes to take?Not a chance.

Capt,

Any notion on percentages?
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    While some will resist a majority of folks would just hand over everything.

But there will be a lot who will hide out something.

Now a question Back since Firearms will be banned that also means all ammo will come off the shelves. Will when they come to collect your firearms will they also go after all reloading equipment and supplies.

Also is this just a take everything or will they reimburse for those Items taken. Cause they are not taking if they are not paying thru the Nose.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope that I get a heads up before they come. I'd like to welcome them properly.
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    The answer is as varied from one individual to another as the characteristics vary between individuals.

The percentage breakdown chart is as fluid as the powers that be think the Constitution should be.

Change is coming.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

Now a question Back since Firearms will be banned that also means all ammo will come off the shelves. Will when they come to collect your firearms will they also go after all reloading equipment and supplies.

No, they would make it illegal to own and give you a predetermined time to dispose of it at your expense.

Also is this just a take everything or will they reimburse for those Items taken. Cause they are not taking if they are not paying thru the Nose.

No buy back.

Responses embedded in red above.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk

No, they would make it illegal to own and give you a predetermined time to dispose of it at your expense.

No buy back.

Responses embedded in red above.

See the reason for my questions is with out money the number of those resisting goes up, way up.
    edited November -1

Capt,

It would only be a WAG (wild * guess), but do a count on the forums of those who accept and/or support government infringement of the RKBA against those who stand rock solid on Amendment II as written.

I assess that 90%-97% would roll over when it came down to a situation as described.
  • texdottexdot Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. But I agree with FCD.Guns would be outlawed period but I doubt anyone would come to your door to get them.
    edited November -1

Capt,

It would only be a WAG (wild * guess), but do a count on the forums of those who accept and/or support government infringement of the RKBA against those who stand rock solid on Amendment II as written.

I assess that 90%-97% would roll over when it came down to a situation as described.

So that would leave roughly 2.5m - 8m (97% - 90%)
  • GotteskriegerGotteskrieger Member Posts: 3,170 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Capt,

Look how far down the drain we have gone in the last 30-40 years and no mass revolt. Capt496 is right.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1

Why? What would be the point?

FCD, 3% or less will attempt to put the G back in it's proper place.
    Another percentage will enable, but not take an active roll. It was about 30% in the revolution, but they weren't conditioned as well, so it will likely be less. The remainder will just say baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa or actively collaborate with evil.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    Was their wide spread resistance in Canada, Australia, England, or any other place where this has happened? I'd say that's your answer.

Of course, there's always the 3% theory to consider....

Personally, I don't see any organized effective resistance taking place. I won't be firing the first shot, but once the lead is flying I won't be far behind. As I've said before, if our society collapses I don't stand a chance anyway. I might just as well go down in a hail of honest gun fire than starve to death.
    edited November -1
    kev, Americans are unique among nations. Despite a very successful campaign of brainwashing, that remains in tact to some degree. Inother words, we never were and never will be... "them".
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    Was their wide spread resistance in Canada, Australia, England, or any other place where this has happened? I'd say that's your answer.

Of course, there's always the 3% theory to consider....

Canada and Australia are commonwealth's of the Crown. England is the Crown.

Big difference.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,821 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My answer to your specific wording is no.[V]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,257 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, things are way to good here for people to revolt.
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dbain99
    No, things are way to good here for people to revolt.

......looks that way.

....until you peel back the ultra-thin veneer.
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    Rational reaction - shoot the nearest politician. Actual reaction - roll over anc comply.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The American people will never give up their guns. There may come a time when everyone will have to bury them but give them up? Never. That is one of the reasons I hate to see people on here bragging about the guns they have. A gun you have bought from an indivual should never be traded in. The paper trail gets colder over time.
  • cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044
    edited November -1
    I'll fall back on History and say that 97% will bow down and 3% will resist mightily.

There will be blood....

Just not mine[;)]
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Member Posts: 35,685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "general firearms owning populace" will surrender their guns like the "good law abiding citizens" they are. I'm going to be a little more liberal in my numbers than the good Cap'n and CCC, though and say 85%-90% will step into line for the 'boots.
    edited November -1
    It has been proven in many countries that 95% submit to the government.[:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rosie
    The American people will never give up their guns. There may come a time when everyone will have to bury them but give them up?

What's the difference?
    edited November -1
    Yep! A buried gun is more useless than an unloaded gun or as useless as not having one. If you have an unloaded one you can at least use it as a rock.[:o)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    If I said what is in my heart all the beast lovers lurking here would take it as a threat

Precisely why the question was framed in the third person and not the first person.
  • Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    I can't think of a way to answer without inviting myself to be one of the first if the time comes...
  • cactuspete1cactuspete1 Member Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those that dont comply will be hunted down, Jailed or Killed. Who is going to be First?
  • GatoGordoGatoGordo Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ancillary question is who is going to be willing to enforce such an order? Do you think your neighbor that's a National Guardsman or a reservist or LEO will follow orders to disarm their neighbors? The 'government' is made up of people. Are citizens prepared to put a gun to the face of their cousin or brother that has come for that gun?
  • cactuspete1cactuspete1 Member Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the civil war there were brothers willing to fight brothers. The people of today are conditioned to do what the government tells them to do as Policemen, soldiers, or officials of the government. Sure there are a few that will rebel, but you can bet that it will be damn few.[:(]
  • GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The government will wait until the have enough sheeple on gov payroll and entitlement programs.[V]
  • old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    If you were to ask 100 gun owners if they would give up their guns without a fight,100 would say no.98 of them are lieing.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,806
    edited November -1
    A small percent may rise up, if they win, they'll become the new leadership.
  • CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    Yep, and I'd get rich- cause I'd manufacture signs that read something along the lines of "Yep, I've got guns, if you wanna take'em you better be at one with the thought of your daughter growing up without a daddy"
  • NiccoHelNiccoHel Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    Yep! A buried gun is more useless than an unloaded gun or as useless as not having one. If you have an unloaded one you can at least use it as a rock.[:o)]

If I tie an empty handgun to an empty rifle, will I have a tomahawk?
  • 9 on the floor9 on the floor Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If that were to ever happen, the cowards in charge would never even think of going house to house rounding up the guns.

There would be an IRS type agency sorting out who they think has weapons and using coercion through banks, credit companies, public utilities, schools etc. to force you to turn in your weapons.

"I'm sorry Mr 9 on the floor, but our records indicate you are currently an unlawful firearms owner. we are unable to process your drivers license renewal [business license, tuition, homeowners insurance hospital check-in, you name it.] until this issue has been resolved."

There might well be a revolt, but no one would know who to shoot.
  • JohnTJohnT Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Active resistance...as in making a stand like the farmers did at Lexington Green in 1775? Maybe 5-6% of'em.

Passive resistance...as in secreting them away for hard times? Many more. Maybe as high as 90%.

Of course, 5% is a helluva lotta armed people.

And...like has been said...

"If you feel like it's time to start burying guns, it's probably time to dig'em up."
  • GatoGordoGatoGordo Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess is any ban/confiscation would be incremental, i.e, 'assault rifles', 'Saturday night specials', 'hi-cap' magazines, etc. (sound familiar?) and the "three percenters" here and on other similar forums will do just what they have done, pound their keyboards and make threatening noises that mean exactly zilch. Meanwhile another portion of the gun owning citizenry will do what they've done and try to work through the courts and ballot boxes to rectify the wrongs. The majority of gun owners will sit by and watch for the outcome just like they do with most issues.

What a government order to immediately and thoroughly ban and confiscate all weapons would do is pretty speculative and highly unlikely in my not-so-humble opinion. Think what it would take. An executive order would immediately be challenged in the courts and probably negated in todays climate and any legislative action along those lines would take a lot more courage than a majority of politicians have, even if they did want such action.

So, this may be a fun exercise and gives the usual badazzes here a chance to huff and puff but otherwise just another GB Saturday night. Meh.