In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

michigan open carry

smokeymt46smokeymt46 Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
I attended the local memorial day parade in Corunna,Mi to my suprise across the street was a person with a handgun openly displayed. I first thought that it was a policeman but the more I watched it didn't appear to be one. Then today I'm at the Curwood Festival and here walks another person with a hand gun in plane sight. I'm a CCW permit person but haven't been keeping a close watch on the laws. If there is someone that can fill me in on this please answer this issue. Thanks Larry

Comments

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is NOT to be taken as legal advice.

From the Michigan.gov/state police website.....

quote:Firearms Related Questions

1. Is it legal to carry a visible pistol in public?

Although MCL 750.227 restricts carrying a pistol concealed on your person or in a vehicle, there is no statute that specifically prohibits carrying a visible pistol. MCL 750.234d states that you cannot possess any firearm in a depository financial institution, a church or other house of religious worship, court, theatre, sports arena, day care center, hospital or an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, unless that possession is with the permission of the owner or his/her agent of the entity.

MCL 750.227 = Link below
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(24ylwc45yb0wfe45bnjvpymt))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-227
  • Options
    PredictatvPredictatv Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In an odd twist of the laws? Texas has had a bill this session that made an odd proposal. To allow open carry ONLY for those who possess a conceal carry permit. Now, if I understand the use of conceal carry? Conceal carry allows the privilege of a civilian to engage in the practice of keeping a firearm concealed upon his/her person. Or carried possessions (IE purse, briefcase, etc) This is an extra privilege deemed useful to be licensed and regulated by state and local police.

IE, you would normally carry a firearm in plain view. Long ago 1940's? But, with licensed privilege you are allowed to hide the fact that you have a firearm on you. Very useful for security, investigation and high risk situations. Where needing a firearm, yet carried in open, could actually further endanger an individual. When concealment is the safer bet. Open carry most useful in hunting and civilian guard situations.

Now, open carry used to be considered the "normal" situation. It was never regarded as a privilege. Making it an extra privilege for those with a conceal carry? Would that not just make the privilege of conceal carry the "New" norm? Flipping the privilege and normal on it's head?