In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Are Antiques considered Firearms ?

ninefingersninefingers Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
Are antiques,and, replicas of black-powder muzzle-loaders, considered Firearms? Aren't they exempt from most firearms laws, like to go thru a dealer, 3 day wait? Or, does it Vary by State? (I'm in AZ, but I'm Sure they were exempt in CA, as I bought and sold them Openly. I saw them sold openly at gun shows in CA; no FFL/3 day wait/dealer required.)

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    Exempt from federal regulation, but may be subject to state and local laws.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nunn has it right.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a Felon trying to figure out any way he can to get around the system,,In most states they are not going to care if it is Antique,,If your a felon in possion of a WEAPON they are still going to spank you butt and does not matter how old it is,,its still a weapon
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Some states allow BP ownership if the weapon in questioned uses #11 percussion caps and not 209 primers. I live in SC and a guy in my hunt club is a convicted felon but can hunt with BP.
    The only safe way to know is to contact a lawyer. Believe nothing you read about this on GB.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sharpshooter: A "weapon " also Varies by state. So, a C & R in AZ is not a "weapon" unless Used as such. Like, a Baseball Bat isn't a weapon Unless that one, individual bat is used--then it, and it, Alone, is considered legally a Weapon. Knives aren't necessarily included in the def. of Weapon (In AZ). A weapon is:"..designed for lethal use..which includes firearms..." ARS 13-3102. "Include" doesn't mean All firearms; just a suffix to not "disclude " them.

2 lawyers Agree witth me; 3 Don't (they are Public Defenders, oddly...)

Yes, Sharpshooter; I'm , Technically, a: " Felon". Rub it in. I hurt No One, did not threaten nor was Going to hurt Any One; Robbed No one and Nothing; did Not possess/sell drugs. But, I'm Not a Criminal. I go to a Mormon church; I have a Lot of friends in town and in church. A "friend" said I was a :"bomber" for having some M-80's and some rocket fuel and black powder for my muzzle loader. Wait 'till it happens to You in this paranoid society. It only Takes an "accusation". You'll sit in jail 7 months, a bail you can't pay. In a Year, you'll face trial. Unless you can afford a good private atty, you'll p**** out on a plea bargain just so you won't sit 5 more months in jail.And, if you can't pay your bail, you probably won't be able to afford a good attorney. Trials are a dog and pony show, not who's guilty of what. See OJ. Justice is what you can "afford".

Time to lock this topic if people won't abnswer the Question; just ad-hominem the asker....moderator?

For a non-violent, non-dangerous p*** bargain, Why should my rights be suspended? Until the eighties, uit took a gun-related elony to lose them in AZ.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Took me a while to find it on the AZ Game and fish web , here is the answer to all your questions, you can only use muzzleloading replica of a weapon made before 1899,,so you can use like an old Hawkins style rifle but not a new modern in-line style,You can not use anything that uses modern ammo ,its pretty straight forward,I dont know why you asked the questions if you dont believe any of the answers you get,,but Brother do as you please,,its on you not me,,PEACE
    quote:Possession of firearms by felons: A convicted felon, regardless of where the conviction occurred, may not possess or use a firearm (as defined by Penal Code, A?46.01) to hunt in this state. Under Penal Code, A?46.01, a muzzleloading firearm is lawful if it is an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899 or a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899 that does not use rimfire or centerfire ammunition.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sharpshooter: I simply don't believe answers that contradict what the law says in my state or in Fed. Regs. How it is in other states, I don't know. I've read the ARS statutes over my old case and my new one 'till I have a lot memorized. When you guys Actually look things Up, and See, rather than just Say things, it's Great.....I don't dispute it, If you quote All the law; not just Part of it. There can be disputes over some interpretations of it, yes.

Nothing Personal...

But, please, wean yourself of: "weapon" when you mean gun or firearm. It is one of my points in Court is they Aren't :"weapons". I've never owned a :"W" except maybe a surplus SKS that was not to be ised to shoot men anyymore, anyway. And some pepper spray.They are talking 4 years in Prison; so I'm a little sensitive about some points. I am a little sensitive, but I think anuyone would be in my situation.Just wanted other's experiences that could be backed up
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sharpshooter: OK--just Caught myself: I Admit I didn't believe TX defined antiques as firearms--I was Right, I found proof.

I might have trouble with someone saying that AR or AK or MT or NV do,too. Might be, but doubtful.

But, CA doesn't (or, Didn't at least six years ago, they didn't.) I bought and sold replicas of M/L C/B pistols Openly at gun shows, pawn, and antique shops. No restriction.

I wouldn't believe AZ did, if I hadn't (not) seen it in the ARS statutes. Yet, a mile from me is a regular gun shop that sells Machine guns and silencers. Makes No sense..

That's ok for Nunn, it's just hard to believe from an guy who says he's an FFL Dealer in TX so many years. It's safer to err on the side of caution.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    I see lots of people screw themselves over with plea agreements. Too bad, but it's their choice, just as it was your choice. Too late to cry about it now.

How can one not make bail, unless one is charged with something like murder? I put people in jail all the time, and usually see them out again in a few days, on bail. Even homeless, destitute, unemployed people make bail.