In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Receiving firearms

cjclutecjclute Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Hi, can someone share the do's and donts regarding receiving firearms from family? My Father recently passed and had several nice rifles and a blackpowder pistol 1860s. Everything was willed to me. Hes in NY and I'm in NC. Just want to make sure I have my ducks in a row... no punn intended. thanks
CJ

Comments

• Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cjclute
    Hi, can someone share the do's and donts regarding receiving firearms from family? My Father recently passed and had several nice rifles and a blackpowder pistol 1860s. Everything was willed to me. Hes in NY and I'm in NC. Just want to make sure I have my ducks in a row... no punn intended. thanks
    CJ

Make sure they are cased, unloaded, and stored in the non-passenger compartment while transporting them and I would have a copy of the will with me just in case.
    The older black powder arms are not restricted by federal law (yet).
  • Options
    sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And I might add if they are not registered do not register them,JMO.
  • Options
    cjclutecjclute Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks... made the trip back to nc just fine. So no documentation that I need to have in my home? other than the will... but whos to say dad in fact even left them to me for that matter?
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would keep the will just in case anyone ever asks. Doubtful they ever would. Another posiblility would be if one ever ended up having been stolen sometime in the past. You father could have bought a gun that had passed through several private owners that he would have had no way to know it had been stolen at some time in the past. Stranger things have happened. Always good to be able to prove where you got it.