In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

To codify or not to codify?

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
Do you think that codifying the rights listed in the BOR has helped to preserve the rights enumerated therein, or do you think that perhaps those rights would not have been infringed to the degree they have, were they not written out?

There was much debate about this at the time. What do you believe history has borne out?
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 'The Invisible Constitution', Laurence Tribe spends a lot of time on this subject, Mr. Perfect, though he was addressing those referenced in Amendment 9 more-so than those specified.

To your point, I do not believe that the codification of any right in the BOR has lead to increased infringement. Absent amendment 1, for example, it is very easy to think that Johnson, for example, a Democratically controlled Congress (or Nixon and a Republican controlled Congress for that matter) could have enacted legislation that severely infringed upon the ability of the party that was out of power to regain power.

With the 1st Amendment in place, however, we have the Citizens United case which overturned a bi-partisan attempt to control political speech and squelch anything that was not of the political establishment as elections approached. Absent that Amendment, it is difficult to believe that such legislation would have been overturned.

Likewise with Amendment 2. Absent its existence, there would have been no basis for Heller or McDonald. The fact that these two decisions severely and irreparably weakened the 2nd, without it there would be nothing stopping individual cities, states or even the entire country from being a citizen gun free zone.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Makes me wonder if they shouldn't have made the list much longer.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

One of Tribe's points is that a longer list, particularly a much longer list would have been viewed as a complete listing of Individual Rights. Conversely, the number of individual rights 'Retained by the people' as noted in Amendment 9 is virtually infinite, and any attempt at a complete listing would in practice establish restrictions on the individual by default through omission of any number of retained rights.

The assumption that a tipping point exists is valid, though the seven Amendments in the BOR that list specific protections does, IMO, touch upon those individual rights that are most significant regarding the relationship between an individual and the state. I do believe, however, that a little more care with the verbiage, and a written resolution as to application to State and/or Federal Government would have served us well by eliminating much of the interpretive excesses of the judiciary.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

One of Tribe's points is that a longer list, particularly a much longer list would have been viewed as a complete listing of Individual Rights. Conversely, the number of individual rights 'Retained by the people' as noted in Amendment 9 is virtually infinite, and any attempt at a complete listing would in practice establish restrictions on the individual by default through omission of any number of retained rights.

The assumption that a tipping point exists is valid, though the seven Amendments in the BOR that list specific protections does, IMO, touch upon those individual rights that are most significant regarding the relationship between an individual and the state. I do believe, however, that a little more care with the verbiage, and a written resolution as to application to State and/or Federal Government would have served us well by eliminating much of the interpretive excesses of the judiciary.

Good point. We need to have coffee (or beers) together some time. [:)]
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need to have coffee (or beers) together some time.
    I would be honored to join that table.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup

As would I.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup

As would I.

Good points indeed.

Count me in too, I will buy the first round but you have to get HighBall and the rest of the crue together for this party, sl?inte.

;)
  • Options
    DirtyDawgDirtyDawg Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Count me in if HB and LT can join. ;)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DirtyDawg
    Count me in if HB and LT can join. ;)
    Do I know you?