In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NRA chief says group accepts background checks

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
If you have to ask the government for permission to buy a gun, then you have lost that right. Was going to join the NRA again, will not now. Maybe GOA

http://news.yahoo.com/nra-chief-says-group-accepts-background-checks-122514606--politics.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - The head of the National Rifle Association says the organization has no problem with tighter background checks of gun purchasers.

But association president David Keene also says too much emphasis has been placed on banning certain firearms.

In an interview on "CBS This Morning" Thursday, Keene argues, quote, "The real question that needs to be addressed is not what we do about guns, but what we do to make our schools safer."

The NRA has come under close scrutiny in the wake of Newtown, Conn., shootings that killed 20 children and six adults.

Keene said officials should focus more attention on a "devastatingly broken mental health system in this country," if they genuinely want to end gun violence.

He said the NRA has been "generally supportive" of stronger background checks.

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are many who have been pointing to this disturbing trend in the NRA for years. Legislated access is different than an individual right.

Should be obvious, but apparently it is not.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    Consider the SAF as well. I like that org. better than GOA, personally.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to see you like something Mr Perfect. Jay
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wah Wah Wah... crying over an organization who at least represents gun ideas. What would happen if they weren't in Washington. You know the answer to that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cranky2
    Glad to see you like something Mr Perfect. Jay
    There are many things I like.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    I listened to the same interview and what he was talking about is tightening up the coordination between mental health records and background checks. I don't have a problem with that as the "loons" like VT shooter and the AZ shooter should have never been able to purchase weapons IMO....and these are the very "crazies" who are getting the guns and doing the damage. The reality is that states should tighten up the rules for folks with mental issues and right now the states are all over the board on doing that....some have legislation, some do not, and a few are starting to colate the records. Don't see any difference with that requirement than what we now have with felons and such....the emphasis was the fifth sentence of the article you post....mental health.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kissgoodnight
    If you have to ask the government for permission to buy a gun, then you have lost that right.

So...you never buy guns from an FFL dealer? Every time you buy a gun from an FFL dealer, you ask the government for permission to buy that gun. Even states that use Carry Permits for NICS checks, you still had to ask the government for permission for that Carry Permit.

It sucks, but it has been that way for a LONG time.
  • Options
    AmishAmish Member Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, looks like that was the whole agenda with the latest presidential directives. Instead of having our right removed by a judge and jury of 12 they can now be stripped by a doctor who acts as an agent of the state.

Many take medications today but dont lose their rights unless a judge & jury deems them a danger with a full appeal process. Kiss this goodbye.

Supposedly superman Adam Lanza was the lone gunman shooter although autistic unable to maintain a job or own his own automobile still living with his mother due to his developmental disability borderline autism.

Still the violence in sanctuary city Chicago has more casualties than Afghanistan.
  • Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    I don't have a problem with that. I know an individual that was
    confined to a "nut ward" because of hearing voices. That person is out and can purchase a firearm because nothing on the check shows that this person was confined and is a "nut". That person should not have a firearm.

This is if the background will reveal mental problems and show up on the checks.
  • Options
    AmishAmish Member Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun Control in Obamacare

http://gunowners.org/fs2011a.htm

summary

The Dept of Veterans Affairs at the direction of president Clinton sent a list of over 80,000 disabled veterans to be added to the FBI NICS. This was a one time occurrence and was immediately discontinued. Then in 2008 the Brady Bill was amended to allow these veterans to be removed after following a procedure of "relief from disabilities" where the VA would send a letter to NICS requesting the removal of the names. Under Obamacare this will begin again not only from the VA but all hospitals and reporting agencies such as Medicare.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by m1aguy
    If you have to ask the government for permission to buy a gun, then you have lost that right.

So...you never buy guns from an FFL dealer? Every time you buy a gun from an FFL dealer, you ask the government for permission to buy that gun. Even states that use Carry Permits for NICS checks, you still had to ask the government for permission for that Carry Permit.

As you note, the right is lost.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Wah Wah Wah... crying over an organization who at least represents gun ideas. What would happen if they weren't in Washington. You know the answer to that.

The answers you and I would arrive at, select-fire, would no doubt be significantly different.

If David Keene is saying the he and his organization are in support of Universal Background checks for all firearm purchases within the United States, he is advocating an increase in Federal control that is orders of magnitude above what is now in place. It raises significant Constitutional issues, and reveals the tone-deafness of the NRA with regard to the 2nd Amendment.

Another in a long line of compromises that promotes the legislated privilege of gun ownership instead of the individual right we should be able to expect.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

And was lost a LONG time ago, not recently.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Yet it was at the behest of the NRA waaaaay back then.

Edit: the right is retrained. It is the restraint on government to protect our right that is lost.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now our bill of rights is officially wronged...
  • Options
    hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to know how, and by whom, this universal background checking system will be enforced in states without registration. They might have agents at gun shows, but I can't see how they would ever know of a sale between two guys in an alley. If only the feds can enforce federal law, they're in for a hell of a time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hunter86004
    I'd like to know how, and by whom, this universal background checking system will be enforced in states without registration. They might have agents at gun shows, but I can't see how they would ever know of a sale between two guys in an alley. If only the feds can enforce federal law, they're in for a hell of a time.

Easy....they will do sting buys and lock up the guy trying to sell the gun in the alley. You really think the local cops aren't going to enforce new gun laws? They enforce all the gun laws now, why wouldn't they enforce new ones? Just like the cops in New York are going to do.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Yet it was at the behest of the NRA waaaaay back then.

Edit: the right is retrained. It is the restraint on government to protect our right that is lost.

The NRA does not pass laws. Congress does that and the President signs them. And you might want to check into how many of those anti-gun laws, over the many decades, were pushed by police organizations all over the country, just like they do now.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless the NRA is reversing course from the position it took just a couple of days ago, they are not supporting universal background checks.

I watched an interview withe the nra prez ( not wayne, the other one) and he flatly saod he didnt support universal background checks.

He did support adding mental health records to NCIS as well as prosecuting those who fail background checks.
  • Options
    edited November -1

The NRA does not pass laws.
    Where did I even infer that they do?
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "You really think the local cops aren't going to enforce new gun laws?"

I know they won't in my area. They only are allowed to enforce state laws. If it became a state law, yes, but not 'til then.
  • Options
    Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1

Easy....they will do sting buys and lock up the guy trying to sell the gun in the alley. You really think the local cops aren't going to enforce new gun laws? They enforce all the gun laws now, why wouldn't they enforce new ones? Just like the cops in New York are going to do.
    And we all know that you know what cops are going to do.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    Unless the NRA is reversing course from the position it took just a couple of days ago, they are not supporting universal background checks.

I watched an interview withe the nra prez ( not wayne, the other one) and he flatly saod he didnt support universal background checks.

He did support adding mental health records to NCIS as well as prosecuting those who fail background checks.

BINGO! You and I (like I said above) heard the same interview. What the other guys heard???? Clueless[:)]
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personaly think requiring a background check is a good idea. I never want to unknowingly sell a gun to a fellon or nut case. Said background check must not be used as a backdoor way to regintering the gun and individuals should be able to make the call and do the check for a couple of dollars. It is being done in Illinois now so it is feasable.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    I personaly think requiring a background check is a good idea. I never want to unknowingly sell a gun to a fellon or nut case. Said background check must not be used as a backdoor way to regintering the gun and individuals should be able to make the call and do the check for a couple of dollars. It is being done in Illinois now so it is feasable.

If the check was volentary at no cost cool, if mandated by law it will be abused, no doubt.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Background checks should be free between family members and the dealers should have to eat the couple of bucks. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sooeyman2035

Cops do stuff like this:

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/cops-face-charges-killing-elk-220848858--abc-news-topstories.html
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sooeyman2035

Cops do stuff like this:

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/cops-face-charges-killing-elk-220848858--abc-news-topstories.html

Those cops were hunters and could not help themselves. They should have known better.
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they didnt get enough money to keep up the fight,like the drug companys there is no money in the cure only in the treatment.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will be an administrative nightmare to set up rules for private transfer backgound checks. Will all gun show venders need to have access to the FBI nics system? What about estate transfers to family members? Will the BATFE have to have persons at every gun show to call in the check? I doubt the government has the manpower or monetary resources to actualy make this requirement a reality.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Waco Waltz
    Background checks should be free between family members and the dealers should have to eat the couple of bucks. [:D]

Another gun control law proposed by Waco nut- will go real well with your safe law.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A senator speaking on fox news this morning made a very interesting comment.
    90% of American think universal background checks for firearm transfer is a swell idea (as does Waco nut). The senator mentioned that this better be thought out, because when you give your buddy a gun to borrow on a hunting trip, or your buddy at the skeet range wants to give your gun a try, that would be a tranfer, and one would need a background check before doing so. Heck, universal background check would mean you cant even hand a gun to a buddy without a background check.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    A senator speaking on fox news this morning made a very interesting comment.
    90% of American think universal background checks for firearm transfer is a swell idea (as does Waco nut). The senator mentioned that this better be thought out, because when you give your buddy a gun to borrow on a hunting trip, or your buddy at the skeet range wants to give your gun a try, that would be a tranfer, and one would need a background check before doing so. Heck, universal background check would mean you cant even hand a gun to a buddy without a background check.
    Yep, can't even hand your firearm to your hunting partner while you crawl through a barbwire fence.