Domestic Violence

us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,188 ✭✭✭✭
When it became illegal for a person with a domestic violation record to own or possess a firearm, how many law enforcement personnel fell into the catagory and were dismissed?

I've read research stating police personnel are very prone to incidences of domestic violence in their personal lives.

I tried to find out once from the Feds but after nearly a year of inquiries, never got a reply. The queston was bounced for one department to another - FBI to Justice Dept. to ATF, etc. etc.

Just wondering if anyone knows of ANY SINGLE law enforcement personnel dismissed because of domestic violence = cannot carry or possess a firearm.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I know of at least one security officer that lost his job because of the domestic violence law. His story (I believe him) was that it was a very minor situation and he did not actually threaten to hurt his wife. One of my co-workers was in the army and had to be a cook and could not handle weapons. I applaud you for asking the questions you did and the government has no right ignoring your questions.

But let me ask a question. When in the history of the world have you heard of such a law as was passed by Bill Klinton in that it made it illegal for anyone convicted of domestic violence to own a gun and the law was made RETROACTIVE! I.E. you could be punished in the present for an act you MIGHT have committed in the past even though at that time there was no domestic violence lose your gun rights law on the book.

Kinda like them lowering the speed limit from 35 to 25 and then writing a ticket to everyone they can find that drove through there, before the law change, doing 35.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • RoadkillRoadkill Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do. He was in a suburb out of Chicago. His wife also was a cop. The case dragged on so long, they had no choice but to let him go. Pretty crappy.
  • Broomie2Broomie2 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heres another, cop hit his girlfriend because he lost his temper, the matter comes before a local judge, local judge dismissed the case (something amiss here?). County finds out what the local judge did, so the cop then was made to appear in front of a county judge, county judge charged him domestic violence. Bottom line was he was still allowed to carry his gun, but only while on duty. Now what angers me is, if by chance I pissed this cop off, do I also get hit, or just shot, cause he lost his temper?

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.
  • us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tr fox: I like your analogy to speeding as so true. I guess Only a Demon-crat like bill klinton could enact something like that - along with lots of help from the firearm abolitionist groups. I prefer abolitionist because that is their utilmate goal. A spade is a spade.

However, thanks for enlightening me as I came to belive it was never enforced on law enforcement personnel ... as they are the law enforcers - sometimes, sadly, selectively.

The government has no RIGHTS. ONLY the PEOPLE have Rights which allows the government to function.
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln