In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

3 Day Delay

dmpotterdmpotter Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
Though I am sure it won't be denied.

My Bio,
No criminal history, never even arrested.
1st Infantry Division during Gulf War.
heck Father of 7 kids. Middle Income.

Went to go buy a simple pump shotgun for trap/skeet.
I was delayed for 3 days.

The only thing I can think the delay came from
was while in Turkey and Pentagon, I had a Clearance.

Does military clearance cause a flag or need for investigation?

I think it sucks, and a bit embarrassing.

I would think with my time in service and no criminal history should be a no brainer.

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First let me say that I can offer NO proof on this.
    But, I have heard of quite a few "first time" gun buyers getting delayed.
    No reason for it, and in the end they receive the OK.
    It is my "belief" that they delay, to try to discourage first time buyers.
    Some people just give up on trying to buying a gun, after this experience.
    The ones that do not give up, have no problems with subsequent firearm purchases.
    Have not heard of military causing and flags.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Secruity clearance will cause a flag. Don't be embarrased, it happens to a lot of folks.

I don't really see the point of a Brady check for long guns, though, they are rarely used in crimes.

"Go to the Lakedaemonians, stranger passing by;
    And say that in obedience to their laws, here we lie"
  • Big ABig A Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey I know how you fill it kills me I live at Ft. Campbell and when I buy guns in kentucky I get delayed for the whole 3 days and the dealer never gets a call back but on the other hand when I buy in tennesse the dealers get the approvale in less than 5minutes.quote:Originally posted by dmpotter
    Though I am sure it won't be denied.

My Bio,
    No criminal history, never even arrested.
    1st Infantry Division during Gulf War.
    heck Father of 7 kids. Middle Income.

Went to go buy a simple pump shotgun for trap/skeet.
    I was delayed for 3 days.

The only thing I can think the delay came from
    was while in Turkey and Pentagon, I had a Clearance.

Does military clearance cause a flag or need for investigation?

I think it sucks, and a bit embarrassing.

I would think with my time in service and no criminal history should be a no brainer.
  • dmpotterdmpotter Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you all have a point here.

Having a TS clearance and an outside organization looking through my records would probably see a gap for the years I held it.

I would expect where I was or what I was doing not to be on a common record. Only a special agent can see into that Abyss, not a contracted phone jockey.

Since I'm waiting maybe you all can give me some pointers.

My oldest sons are early teenagers.
    We all enjoy Trap Shooting.

However, I want to keep my options open for Skeet and Sporting later.

For Trap:
    Wife: http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/870supmag.htm
    Simple common pump and cheap.
    Me: http://www.winchester-*/prodinfo/catalog/itemdetails.asp?cat_id=512&type_id=041&cat=012C&item=512041303
    I don't like the wood on cheaper side of the spectrum. So, I'm getting a synthetic stock.

Boys: I want to get the some cheap used guns from a local pawn shop.

Later for Trap and Skeet:
    Wife and I: http://www.winchester-*/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=513&type_id=017&cat=007C
    Has the adjustable comb, and MFRP isn't as high as the qoute by Winchester.
    Boys will have thier pick of the 4 pumps. Until, they get older to buy thier own [;)]

of course, at some point i want to get an AR-15 (I'll still call them M-16) for memory sake.
    edited November -1
    I got my Proceed this mroning. The funny thing was I found a better deal at another dealer (3 Days = lots of shopping around). Maybe I'll get another 3 day wait hopefully not, lol.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did they give you a reason for the delay?

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    No, they didn't tell me why I had a delay :(

To me, I feel it's a right to know. It's my information. I don't care if it's goverment related. Maybe, NICS or whatever it is called should do like if you don't get approved for a credit card. They should send a form letter with the details to the address provided on the form.

To me, the guy at Walmart or whereever, just because he has a phone connected to the FBI or thier contractors, doesn't even deserve the right to know other than approved/denied.

I don't completely understand the whole issue even with criminal non federal crimes. I can understand if the crime involved the use of a firearm, that you cannot get one. However, lets say in your late teens or early 20's. You got arrested and serve time for theft. Lets say about the age 50 you want to do some hunting or sporting. Why would it be automatic that you cannot be trusted. Heck, you served your time, you paid your debt, you have been reformed per se, you haven't did anything illegal for 20+ years.

I can easily say, that a repeat offence with a firearm would probably get you life. That itself would be a strong deteriant. Besides, it's not the guy asking for a firearm from a broker is the one we should be worried about. It's the guy buying on a street corner.