In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

California prepares for Confiscation?

CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
I read something about guns in Chigago(Illinois?) were being confiscated that had previously been registered.
Now California has passed SB 1152 (not signed yet, I hope it gets Veto'd) that requires retailers to keep a record with name, address, thumbprint, and maybe phone number?(I forget) of everyone that purchases ammunition.
This is effectively back door registration of everyone that uses firearms in California. The only reasons I can see the police wanting to know this is for 1) knowing when a suspect is armed (as if a criminal would buy his ammunition or gun from a licensed dealer), and 2) knowing whose houses to visit after the passage of a law that confiscates guns.

So whats your opinion, are they trying to pass this law for 1) or 2)?

I really hope our Governator terminates this bill.

Comments

• Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    It is a stupid and ineffective law that has been tried before at various levels with little or not effect on crime. If the state wanted to know who owned firearms, there are a lot more efficient means to do so, such as dealer 4473's or the DROS system.
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    They had a simular law in Maine for a while...on Pistol ammo if memory serves...A spearhead By REPUBLICANS in this state had it overturned.....
  • Options
    heypeteheypete Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've already called my state representatives, state senators, and the governator's office, as well as writing physical snail-mail letters to all of them as well.

Assuming that the state legislators actually listen to their citizens (that's a big assumption) like myself and others who have contacted them, it would never pass.

Right now, I can't see how SB 1152, SB1140, or AB50 could possibly be used to prevent or otherwise reduce crime.

I would strongly encourage people to contact their legislators through any and all means possible (i.e. phone calls, emails, postal letters, fax, etc.) to encourage them to vote against this measure. Contact anti-gun politicians and explain calmly to them that you do not support their anti-gun/pro-crime legislative actions, that as long as they continue to submit or vote for such legislation you won't vote for them, and encourage them to repeal restrictive anti-gun legislation. Be sure to indicate that you *will* support them if they propose or support legislation that will effectively combat crime while preserving the rights of gun owners.

Being totally negative makes them not want to do anything for you, but if you indicate that you'll positively support them if they do certain things, they may like what you have to say a bit more.

Since I purchase nearly all my ammunition from out-of-state by mail, I would not be affected by the registration-of-ammo law, if it passes. I am, however, going to fight tooth and nail (although I'm a private citizen and not terribly effective at convincing legislators, I'll do what I can) to oppose these bills.

Pete Stephenson
    HeyPete.com
  • Options
    Ilove2collectguns2Ilove2collectguns2 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad I don't Live in California! When are these * going to learn that law abiding citizens are NOT the one committing the crime. They need to get tough on the criminal issues not the making the citizens, collectors, and gun lovers pay. Everyone knows, in my opinion if a criminal wants a gun, he will get it anyway. Also whats the deal with these stupid * commericails I been seeing the last couple of weeks on buying guns for someone else. I'm sure you seen them.
    Question For Everyone! I collect guns and so does this friend I work with, recently he purchased a ak47 and had to sign something stating he wont buy any more guns(Any type). Apparently they think he has too many. What does everyone think of that????
    I have too many hunting rifles too, but I lover to collect. I just recently within past year collecting Military type guns. Since I am military, but no way in hell I'm gonna sign anything just cus they think I have enough. Anyway like the old saying, "Who ever dies with the most toys wins".
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ilove2collectguns2

Question For Everyone! I collect guns and so does this friend I work with, recently he purchased a ak47 and had to sign something stating he wont buy any more guns(Any type). Apparently they think he has too many. What does everyone think of that????

Sounds like BS to me. Who said he had to sign such a statement and where are you located?
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ilove2collectguns2
    recently he purchased a ak47 and had to sign something stating he wont buy any more guns(Any type).
    First time I have heard of such a thing. I, like EOD, would like to know more about this.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say the gun registration law worked perfectly. It was never meant as a crime fighting tool. It was meant as a viktim disarmament tool.

We have to start suspecting what the power elite is NOT saying. They know we have them outnumbered, and are doing everything in their power to even the odds, and a great way to do that is to take the fangs, the claws, the stingers, and any possible tools of defense away from the "ordinary" citizens.

Next thing you know, they'll try to disable our chameleon ability to avoid harm.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Remember how many seats were lost after AWB passage? Vae victis!
    Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.