In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Something has to be done

RemingtonRemington Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
I started this post on a GD topic. It was referring to a kid that was suspended for talking about guns and hunting with his dad in school.
I remember when I was in middle school(and that was only 9 years ago) I would bring gun mags in and talk with other kids about the upcoming deer season or the one that just past and other hunting trips. It used to be that everyone went hunting or had someone in their family that did. Guns were something to get excited about. Your first gun that your dad gave you for your birthday or Christmas was like your coming of age and it said you had shown him enough responsibility to own a firearm, a deadly weapon. I think it's time we take this country back. The right to own firearms was God divven a long time ago and now anti-gun left wingers are trying to take and have been for a while. We all need to look at the big picture and start to educate young children about guns in a positive manner before they here from a person with ill feeliungs towards guns. I think we as gun entusiasts should unite and come up with a solution to this problem. Start taking young kids hunting. Tell them to ask there friends to go shooting sometime. Once you catch the bug, (and it ain't hard to do) you won't ever lose it. Gun shops used be all around. Now they are few and far between. As a country we need to grow some balls and realize that owning a gun isnt just a right, it's a neccessity in this day and age. I would like it if all posts on this topic were ideas to increase the number of gun entusiast in this country.

God didn't make men equal, Samuel Colt did.

Comments

• Options
    bnailonbnailon Member Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put this post in another topic on GB/Gun Rights, but it is very relevant here. I guess we are fortunate here in SE Texas. Most every kid either hunts, target shoots, etc. and many of my 3 kids' teachers and their families hunt. I can assure you that the conversation around my kids' lunch table at school revolves around deer hunting, rifle calibers, bullet loads, etc. They would have to expel most everyone from school.

It worries me that kids across the country are bombarded with anti-gun messages from TV, schools, etc. I am trying to do my part to keep it from happening. Firearm education and parental involvement are the keys to deflating this radical, left-wing message.

I am trying to do my part to expose my 3 kids to firearms in the safest and most responsible manner. I have been very successful at it so far and I am very thankful for that. I don't know if there is any secret formula, but this is how I am doing it. I started taking my kids dove hunting locally here in SE Texas with me at age 6-7--and taking them deer hunting and to the range regularly sometime after that. My oldest son (15) just received his early Xmas present last week--870 Express, and my youngest son (14) received another 870 for his birthday in August. Our agreement is that the kids pay half of their gift, so that they have ownership in those firearms. My youngest (10 year old girl) goes dove hunting with us now. She used my old single 20-gauge over the weekend as we sat together and discussed gun safety, hunting ethics, etc. The boys are very mature and resposible--aced the required hunter safety course--and now bow hunt and gun hunt. It's a matter of time before my daughter gets enough experience and maturity to have her first shotgun, too. We have our rules that all firearms are locked up in the safe--that they cannot handle them while I am not present. If they want to look at them, they ask and I ususally oblige unless I am busy soing something else. Their friends at school are hunters and fishermen with similar parental involvement. I cannot explain how proud I feel with my kids taking up the same interests as I have.

Start them early...preach safety and responsibility constantly...teach them about following state and federal hunting regulations...give them ownership in their firearm gifts...and I think most people will be amazed at how their kids will come to appreciate firearms and hunting.

Rest assured, in SE Texas guns are still something to get very excited about. Just ask me and my 3 kids.

Now...if I can just get them to carry the garbage out..and get mama out there with us....[:D]
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The times have changed. EVERYTHING is now "politically correct" or else you are in trouble with the thought police, sad to say. When I was in college, I took a speech class and had to give a "demonstration" speech...either real stuff or with drawings and charts.

Gave mine on the metallic cartridge. Instructor said that she didn't think that it was a topic that would be of interest to anyone. I thanked her for her input, said that it was a "free choice" speech, and gave it anyway. It was very interesting for me because almost everyone in the class asked questions about it, even the instructor.

After the class period was over, the instructor asked how I knew so much about it, and almost fainted when I said that I loaded my own ammo.

Ah well, we just have to keep "educating" the public that ownership and use of firearms doesn't make us mass murderers or members of the mujahadeen!

John

The original point and click interface was made by Smith & Wesson
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Where did ya go to college, John?
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Louisiana Tech. Go Dawgs!

John

The original point and click interface was made by Smith & Wesson