In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

what state is the easiest to obtain a handgun.

ftw05ftw05 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
I live in New York but its a pain in the neck to get a gun permit and a handgun. So please share your info on which state you can get a gun the easiest preferebly on the east coast.

Comments

• EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ftw05
    I live in New York but its a pain in the neck to get a gun permit and a handgun. So please share your info on which state you can get a gun the easiest preferebly on the east coast.

If you are a New York resident, you can only have a handgun transferred to you in New York.
  • flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

If you live in New York, you must have a New York State pistol permit in order to legally own a handgun. Even if you move to New York from another state, and already own your handguns legally, you still need to transfer your handguns to a NY FFL, and without a NY Permit, the FFL won't complete the transfer. So, forget about going out-of-state to purchase a gun to bring back to NY.

JPFO Life Member
    www.jpfo.org
  • 65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say nevada. As to my knowledge all you need is a permit/ permission from the sheriff to buy. Handguns are not registered in nevada, have no saturday night special ban, no junk guns ban, or one gun a month ban.

Long guns besides full auto can be purchased at any time, they are also not registered.
    They follow NCIS with the federal goverment, but that is all. As for concealed carry or carry you will have to get a gun law guide or call the sheriff of that paticular town.

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure what the intent here is. (Insert standard disclaimers here...)I have a CCW for NY although I am no longer a resident. Once you get the permit, you can practically buy OTC. The PITA is the purchase ticket from the county seat, which can be far away in some places. In Vermont all you need is a VT drivers license. I live in MA which by most accounts of those who don't really know, is a very easy state to get the permit (depending on where you live) I asked a C.O.P from a very liberal town (they grant the license) how he would deal w/my situation-coming from out of state w/"assault weapons" and hi-cap pistols, his reply was that I would have to sell my stuff. My reply was "what stuff?"

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun.
  • DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't take my post here as sound legal advice...

One can in fact be a resident of more than one state. You would be in complaiance should you purchace a hand gun in a free state like New Hampshire. You could then travel to hunting or shooting events with you gun in either state.

Better yet, you could also get a paper divorce from NY and end your voter registration, cancel your driver's license etc. Then you could visit the Bolshevik state as a real non-resident. Get your paychecks direct deposited fron the Bolshevik Republic of NY to some bank in NH as long as you don't have a resident requirement for your job.

Be sure to have a valid driver's license and vote in NH. Your home could be a really cheap, movable trailer with NH plates. Get a lease with a really run down NH trailer park. NY does not deserve your taxes, do they? You could also live in a owned or rented NY home quietly most of the time.

In any event should you find yourself under arrest keep your yap shut! Simply Give them your driver's license and say, "I'd be happy to help the police ot ATF all I can but I want to have a lawyer present first!!!" You my find yourself quickly released as a result. Don't pull a Martha Stewart and go to prison for babbling away to some federal agent. They won't want to deal with the liability mess they just stepped into.

Why live in Communist occuped NY when you can find freedom in NH?

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As was stated earlier, if you are a New York resident, the only place you can LEGALLY acquire a handgun is in New York after you jump through all the hoops. If you are not a member of the armed forces, be careful of the dual state residence trick. You could wind up with serious problems.

Do you live in New York by choice or necessity? I would consider moving to a free state. There are several states where you just show two forms of ID with your address on them and pass the background check. Good luck.

MCsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dual state residence is no trick, it's real and there are loads of court cases on it for all kinds of tax matters and cases scumballs like Hillary Klinton's so they can run for Senator. The courts have made lots of rulings that tend to say, Home is where the heart is..." Get sound legal advice before you try it and you'll be Okay...

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.
  • ftw05ftw05 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate new york gun laws. seriously thinking about moving..Thanx guys for all the help
  • ftw05ftw05 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My intent is to simply get a regular handgun in NY but the laws here are a complete mess and I was wondering if u can get a gun permit in another state and come to NY with it.
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Nevada. All you need is a Nevada Driver's License and fill out the federal background check form. Usually takes about 20 minutes for them to phone in the background check and get the OK, unless they are backed up or the system is down for some reason. Once the check is cleared then you take the gun home.

If you have a CCW (which is easy since Nevada is a shall-issue state) then they don't even do the background check. Saves about $20 per gun.

-WW

"...That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state."

-The Debates in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Virginia, on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution. June 27, 1788.
    edited November -1
    My intent is to simply get a regular handgun in NY but the laws here are a complete mess and I was wondering if u can get a gun permit in another state and come to NY with it.

I don't believe NY recognizes any other CCW. Where in NY ? I got mine in St. Lawrence County. Much better strain of judge there.

• RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

quote:ftw05 Posted - 05/10/2005 : 12:23:24 AM

With all due respect, you sound and act like a "Troll". By your description it would imply your intention to "break the law" where you presently live, which would make you into a criminal, and attempt to give a black eye to those neighboring states where freedom still reigns. If as you state you do not like the "rules in your State you have two choices: first band together and "change back" the rules to what represented freedom, or, second, get the heck out of your repressive State into a freedom loving State. But in between, don't do something stupid to damage yourself or others by your inpatience or "lust for freedom and rights granted under the constitution but denied by your home State."

edited November -1
    ....what state is the easiest to obtain a handgun?

Well, I do not know about State but City of Chicago (south side in particular) is a very good place to look. $50-100 or so will get you nice semi S&W! [:)]
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Johnson Co. Kansas. Used to be just walk into gun store, show driver's license walk out with handgun.

Now only have to show id and complete federal yellow form 4473 ( I think # is correct) and walk out. Takes about 10 minutes if you are in a hurry.

Never has been any formal place to "register" any guns here.

4lizad
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    Johnson Co. Kansas. Used to be just walk into gun store, show driver's license walk out with handgun.

Now only have to show id and complete federal yellow form 4473 ( I think # is correct) and walk out. Takes about 10 minutes if you are in a hurry.

Never has been any formal place to "register" any guns here.
    You only have to fill out a 4473, with NO background check?
    WOW Isn't that kind of like buying them out of vending machines?
    After all, a 4473 is just a piece of paper, that is based on the honor system, when filling it out.
    You know, like it USED to be.

Of course there was a time before 4473's.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    pickenup, you wrote:
    quote:

You only have to fill out a 4473, with NO background check?
    WOW Isn't that kind of like buying them out of vending machines?

Uh...no.

The vending machine would only require that I had the money to buy. The FFL that is PERSONALLY dealing with me can see if I am high on drugs, drunk, muttering something about "kill everybody" and etc. In addition I am required to give a lot of personal information which can be visually verfied by the FFL. (height, weight, race, age, etc). This would discourage a criminal from trying to use my id to illegally buy a gun.

The vending machine would not do this.

The FFL uses this form 4473 to contact the GOVERNMENT (OK, the governments contractors) to try and determine two elements.

#1 does my 4473 info match up with the governments records so that it can be determined that I am who I say I am.

#2 Do my records indicate that I am a CRAZYED, HOMICIDAL MANIAC who everyone in society (including you pickenup) do not want to LEGALLY transfer a gun to.

quote:
    After all, a 4473 is just a piece of paper, that is based on the honor system, when filling it out.

Me having to present my state produced and issued id, containing my photo and signature is far, far more than an "honor system".

quote:
    You know, like it USED to be.

It USED to be that there were no restrictions on a whole lot of activities. It USED to be that any loser that walked in off the street and had political connections could be a police officer.

Do you wish to go back to how it USED to be?

quote:

Of course there was a time before 4473's.

Of course. But times change. There was a "time before the internet" yet I see you are happy to keep up with the times in that regard; and also in many, many other ways.

4lizad
    edited November -1
    OK, I'll give you that, it is not quite like buying from a vending machine.
    I was wrong in saying that, but UNLIKE SOME, I am willing to admit it.

In your first post, you did NOT say that a background check was necessary.
    THAT was the point I was alluding to, which you so conveniently skirted/ignored.
    Simply completing a form 4473 (which is all you said you needed) IS the way it USED to be, which was the point I was making.

Apart from your "physical description" the QUESTIONS on a 4473 ARE answered on the honor system, are they not?

Go ahead, turn and twist statements any way you want. What does being a cop, or the internet have to do with.....??
    And the price of tea in China is..............

edited November -1
    Pickenup, you wrote:

quote:

In your first post, you did NOT say that a background check was necessary.
    THAT was the point I was alluding to, which you so conveniently skirted/ignored.
    Simply completing a form 4473 (which is all you said you needed) IS the way it USED to be, which was the point I was making.

Since my first experience with the yellow 4473 form, wanting to buy the gun, being required to complete the form, and then the FFL using that form to contact the agency that processes forms 4473 for approval/denial has been one single process.

It is and never (to my knowledge) has been 2 or 3 steps, with anyone of those steps being allowed to be skipped and still have the gun sale go through.

So for the sake of trying to post to the point I did not break down nor mention the step requiring the FFL to phone in the 4473 information for approval request.

But since this is a nationwide law I naturally assumed that everyone knew that.

Guess not.

4lizad
    edited November -1
    Pickenup: you wrote:
    quote:

OK, I'll give you that, it is not quite like buying from a vending machine.
    I was wrong in saying that, but UNLIKE SOME, I am willing to admit it.

Say pickenup, who is this "unlike some" you speak of? I don't believe I have read any posts by this member.

(hehehehe, snicker, snicker, man I love to rankel)

4lizad
    edited November -1
    Editing your posts......again? Tsk tsk.

The "unlike some" was referring to "some" members here, who, even after being proven wrong, will NOT admit that they were wrong. I am not pointing fingers, just making a "general" statement. Will you admit that there are "some" members here like that?

I guess you have not been buying guns as long as I though you had. The 4473's USED to be filled out (the questions being answered on the honor system) then stuck in the file, with NOTHING else being done with them. No second or third step to it. There was even a time when there were no 4473's to fill out. Guess you "young kids" [;)] wouldn't know anything about that though.

I was just going by what you said it took to buy a gun in your area.
    quote:Now only have to show id and complete federal yellow form 4473 ( I think # is correct) and walk out.
    There are still places in this country, where you can do private sales of guns. No paperwork, no phone calls. I know you could not have been referring to those kinds of sales, since you mentioned the form. But since I know you love to "rankel" (as I do from time to time) I was just providing you the opportunity to do so. [:D]

edited November -1
    quote:Apart from your "physical description" the QUESTIONS on a 4473 ARE answered on the honor system, are they not?

I agree with you on that one, Pickenup. I think those questions are just plain stupid, kind of like when the person at the ticket counter at the airport asks you if you have any explosives in your suitcase.

In my ideal world, I think a gun purchase would go like this:

1. You pick out the gun and indicate you want to buy it.
    2. You fill out a form that has the pertinent info for a background check, basically the top 1/3 of the yellow form (name, address, SSN, DL#, etc.).
    3. The gun dealer makes a telephone call to the background check center (I would presume it to be a state or federal law enforcement office), where an officer is sitting in front of a database terminal.
    4. The dealer relays only the information on the form to this officer. The officer then checks to insure that your ID is valid, that your SSN matches, that you have not been convicted of any felonies, and that you have no warrants out for your arrest. Then the officer gives either a go-ahead or denial for the purchase.
    5. The dealer then GIVES YOU THE FORM BACK. No copies are made of the form. The serial number of the gun IS NOT RECORDED.
    6. You then pay the man and take your new property home.

JMHO,
    -WW

wwsm.GIF
    "...That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state."

-The Debates in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Virginia, on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution. June 27, 1788.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    Editing your posts......again? Tsk tsk.

So, turn me into the "editing posts" police

quote:

The "unlike some" was referring to "some" members here, who, even after being proven wrong, will NOT admit that they were wrong. I am not pointing fingers, just making a "general" statement. Will you admit that there are "some" members here like that?

What!? Are you telling me there are some members here who will not admit when they are wrong? Man, I must have been napping on that one. When did this happen?

quote:
    I guess you have not been buying guns as long as I though you had. The 4473's USED to be filled out (the questions being answered on the honor system) then stuck in the file, with NOTHING else being done with them. No second or third step to it. There was even a time when there were no 4473's to fill out. Guess you "young kids" [;)] wouldn't know anything about that though.

Well, actually I've been a gun owner since 1958, but my first gun (handgun .22 Iver Johnson revolver) was purchased for me by my father. Most guns I purchased until 1986 were from private parties and only paperwork was what I wrote up in regards to a receipt.
    But wait a minute. My first gun was a Stevens 12 gauge shotgun, three shot bolt action purchased for me by my step-father in about 1955 when I was about 12 or 13. Yeah, that was my first gun.

quote:

I was just going by what you said it took to buy a gun in your area.

OK, pickenup, this is very, very difficult for me to say so I'm going to put it into code that noone but you and me can understand. "I WAS WRONG!!!!"

quote:
    There are still places in this country, where you can do private sales of guns. No paperwork, no phone calls. I know you could not have been referring to those kinds of sales, since you mentioned the form.

Private sales allowed on all guns here in Johnson Co. KS with absoutely no paperwork of any kind required.
    quote:

But since I know you love to "rankel" (as I do from time to time) I was just providing you the opportunity to do so. [:D]

Uh....for some reason I feel I already knew you "love to rankel".

4lizad
    edited November -1
    No phone call needed in NY if you show your CCW.

• bulletmanbulletman Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just go to Brooklyn, there's 4 Corners where you can get any handgun you want, No questions asked. The Only Papers Needed is Green.

edited November -1
    Yeah, but if you get caught you will probably be wearing black and white.

In the form of horizonal stripes[:o)]

4lizad
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell, that's coming anyway...

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • rudioredrudiored Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably Washington DC.....The death rate from firearms is higher there than in Iraq......that is a fact......

You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.....
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rudiored
    Probably Washington DC.....The death rate from firearms is higher there than in Iraq......that is a fact......

You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.....

Does anyone but me see the obvious paradox with the strongest gun laws of any city and the highest murder rates of any city BEING FOUND IN THE SAME CITY?

se?Effect?Cause?Effect?Cause?Effect?

4lizad
  • juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What was the question again? How can I get pickenup and tr fox to argue? So much for moderator.. My constitution says my rights are not to be infringed. Not if I keep my nose really clean. END OF STORY[;)]

Teach them young ! Teach them often !
    God bless America!
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Dang it, Fox...I thought you had read Snyders article...[:0]..and here you are still defending gun control !!!! [:D][:0] ?

How many people did you kill,...anyway...back before the power Elite decided that you were dangerous...??
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Dang it, Fox...I thought you had read Snyders article...[:0]..and here you are still defending gun control !!!! [:D][:0] ?

How many people did you kill,...anyway...back before the power Elite decided that you were dangerous...??

Uh.. actually I was trying to highlight the fact about how even the liberals should be able to see the paradox in the city with the highest murder rate also having the highest level of gun control.

4lizad
  • jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    INDIANA!!!! iF YOU HAVE YOUR HANDGUN PERMIT, WHICH IS THE SAME AS THE CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT. YOU CAN BUY MULTIPLE HANDGUNS, THEY CALL THE FBI, YOU PAY YOUR MONEY AND WALK OUT THE DOOR A HAPPY CUSTOMER THAT DAY. NO WAITING PERIOD.[:D]
  • shellyshelly Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The laws concerning the sell of firearms vary from state to state I do admit. Texas is pretty easy on the requirements as long as you fill out your paperwork properly you can get a long gun or a hand gun the same day. Califonia has a waiting period. etc
    As for some of the people being concerned about the logging of seriel numbers it is really not something to be worried about...( unless you have something to hide ) their has been not very many times when i have had to look up an ffl for nics and tell them whom
    bought which seriel numbered gun..Our privacy is still pretty much ours a least for right now..Protect your rights..its all we have along with our morals as humans.

shelly
    edited November -1
    the states with no waiting period are as listed in the state laws and ordinances - firearms book : 2004 edition ( some states may have some additional regulations under preemption of local goverment limits )

alabama
    arizona
    arkansas
    colorado
    delaware
    georgia
    hawii
    idaho
    indiana
    iowa
    kansas
    kentucky
    louisiana
    maine
    massachusetts
    michigan
    mississippi
    missouri
    montana
    nebraska
    nevada
    new hampshire
    new jersey
    new mexico
    new york?
    north carolina
    north dakota
    ohio
    oklahoma
    oregon
    tennessee
    texas
    utah
    vermont
    virginia
    west virgina
    wyoming

shelly
    edited November -1
    "States with no waiting periods"...right.
    However..this conveniently ignores the ever increasing number of people forced to wait 3 days...because the fed checks ain't 'instant'...as advertised.
    edited November -1
    there are more people that get to pick up their gun that day than those delayed...or Do you have a store and fill out ffl's?

shelly
    edited November -1
    No..I frequent gun shows.
    I am allergic to paying the overhead of FFL Storefronts.

Couple that with the fact that I believe in free enterprise..and you can readily understand why I don't patronize a cartel.
    edited November -1
    Highball, I've actually found that these gun agent guys are the best deal. They will do out-of-state transfers (like GB purchases) for a flat fee and they don't have to build the overhead of a retail shop or show booth into their prices. Here is the link for a guy based here in Carson City:

http://www.mreguns.com/

I haven't bought anything from him, but his prices are as good as I've seen. I like the "Shop Online" feature, really great for comparison shopping. I think it is all built into Davidson's anyway, so he doesn't even have any inventory costs. Downside is you may have to wait a few days for the shipment to arrive to him, and you are buying sight unseen.

-WW

wwsm.GIF

edited November -1
    You make me not even want to talk on this forum. The retail stores will fight to keep our rights. We do not have a monopoly as you may think..and believe it or not there is not much profit in guns. I am bored .. I have found some nice people to talk to on this forum but with you its like hitting my head against the wall.

shelly
    edited November -1
    Shelly, Highball is one of ours. He stands with us and against those who actually are our enemies. He sometimes comes across as gruff but with the experiences, frustrations an decline in citizens rights he has witnessed, has caused him to appear cynical. Please don't take anything he says personal and you will get alone fine with him.

BTW, don't forget that whenever an FFL holder ceases busines all the records now become the property of the feds to do with as they please.

I personally appreciate most gun stores/dealers. With the low profit margin and all the legal headaches, I feel that many FFL holders are actually almost doing a public service.

4lizad