In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what state is the easiest to obtain a handgun.

2»

Comments

• Options
    shellyshelly Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok maybe I am wrong and judging to quickly.. I realize when stores go out of business they are suppose to return their paper work..but what if they dont go out of business? and they just go from generation to generation passing along their beliefs of the right to arms and the love of nature..( THIS WILL KEEP THE HUNTING AND FISHING INDUSTRY ALIVE ) I dont believe in more and more paper work Lord knows I have enough. I do believe though we need some saftey measures for the weirdos out there. Why doesnt come up with a happy medium? Or maybe the 4473 was the happy medium?

shelly
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Sooner or later EVERY store will either volunterily go out of business or be put out of business.

I personally don't resent the form 4473 all that much. It has little impact on me and my gun buying/selling and using. As a bonus to me, having to honor the form 4473 kinda allows me to present myself as a "lawful and honest gun owner" to that great majority of the undecided public. This as opposed to the gun using criminal element whose gun-buying attempts are usually defeated by the form 4473 procedure.

Shelly, since you are a gun dealer, you might want to read some old posts here on the GB.com gun rights forum about another gun dealer Ronnie Perkins I believe who had a long, sad and detailed story to tell about his experiences and misfortune with the BATF.

He finally went to prison and died there.

If you want to read the posts I will be happy to try and pull them up for you or you can do your own search.

4lizad
  • Options
    shellyshelly Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    Ronnie Perkins I believe who had a long, sad and detailed story to tell about his experiences and misfortune with the BATF.

He finally went to prison and died there.

If you want to read the posts I will be happy to try and pull them up for you or you can do your own search.

Im interested? What was the deal?

shelly
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shelly, I'd like to point out that the Clinton administration raised the FFL taxes with the intention of driving out the Gun Store Owners. Cut down on gun stores, and collect the paperwork. Always keep in mind that the GCA of 1968 is just an updated version of the Nazi Gun Control Act of 1934. And just one note of historical interest: NRA President Karl Fredrick was arguing in favor of the National Firearms Act the very day that Hitler appointed his "Ambassador of Disarmament".
  • Options
    Hang-Fire1Hang-Fire1 Member Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    I personally appreciate most gun stores/dealers. With the low profit margin and all the legal headaches, I feel that many FFL holders are actually almost doing a public service.

I could not agree more. I shop at gunstores every chance I get. Not only do I receive service after the sale I can always get some pretty good free advice on anything from ammo to firearms. I gladly support my local gunshops.

Liberty Bells Life Member
    http://www.libertybelles.org
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    FFL'S doing a public service ?

History will record differently...sorry.
    When the 1968 registration law went into effect..there was a pool of 100 to 150 MILLION 'clean' guns...there whereabouts unknown to the government...the people owning them also clean.

That pool of guns has diminished to a mere fraction of its former self..thanks to the FFL'S. Every clean gun traded to a dealer now enters the government data base...and they have somewhere over 100 million records now in that base...Most likely more then that. The FFLS were at 300 thousand..now about 70 thousand..and ALL those records were sent in to the Jack-boots...

Far more important to continuing freedom then your "Free Advice and Service" is the conduit from the government thru the gunshops to your gun safe...
  • Options
    snowtiggersnowtigger Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shelly, Your list doesn't even mention Alaska.In Alaska, you fill out the 4473 and wait while the dealer calls it in. If there is no problem, you walk out with your gun(s). If you have a CCW permit, no NCIS check.
    BTW you don't need a permit to carry concealed in our fair state, but it lets you carry in states with reciprocity, aswell as avoiding the NCIS.
    PS Private sales between individuals are un-regulated. I once sold a shotgun to a man in a remote village. Just took it out to a local air taxi service and sent it freight colect. Never saw him.

It ain't what you shoot, it's what you hit.
  • Options
    emeraldsgunsemeraldsguns Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in New Mexico and it seems pretty easy here and also in AZ
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think snowtigger has your answer.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NH is easy as far as gun ownership.

to buy from an FFL you fill out the 4473, dealer calls it in, pay for the gun and you're on your way.

Private party sales are legal. There's no permit to purchase or possess a handgun.

CCW's are $10, shall issue and don't require a photograh, fingerprints or safety course. The police have 2 weeks to issue it to you or you can sue them. The only places off limits are public schools and courthouses. There is also no minium age limit for a CCW here. If a 10 year old wants a CCW the police MUST issue it. The boy just couldn't possess the pistol without a parent present.

You can carry loaded openly in NH or you can carry a concealed and unloaded pistol without a CCW.

We have a very strong state preemption law here as well as a state law prohibiting actions against shooting ranges under noise polution or public nuisance laws. There is also immunity from civil liability for dealers on the state level provided they don't violate a law in the sale of a firearm.

All class III's are legal here.

The only areas that NH needs to improve upon are allowing loaded open carry in a vehicle without a CCW (you can't, just outside of a vehicle), and getting rid of the CCW license all toether and going to a VT style system.

cat.gif