In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Georgia Background Check changes

skullgrinderskullgrinder Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
Talking with a licensed dealer from our great state yesterday. As. of July 1, all background checks will be handled by the FBI, not our own beloved GBI.

1.)Does anyone know what that changeover will do for background checks for those with CCW's issued by the state of GA?

2.)Will the price of the background check increase?

By the way, the dealer with which I spoke didn't know the answers either.

Comments

• Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There shouldn't be any cost for a background check from the FBI as the NICS center doesn't charge anything for FFL's to do their checks. If you are being charged a fee for an FBI check then the dealer is just pocketing the money.

cat.gif
  • Options
    skullgrinderskullgrinder Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good information to know. Thank you.

BTW I did some research this past week. GBI charged $5 per background check (none for CCW holders), but each actually cost the state $8. This year, these facts were presented to the GA Public Safety Committee, which decided to allow the FBI to conduct all future checks for long guns and handguns in the state, as of 7/1/05.

My concern was that the background checks from NICS would either increase in price, slow to a snail's pace, or both.

Again, I appreciate your help.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Both the GBI and FBI do background checks on CCW permit applicants before the permits are issued. No background check is done on a CCW permit holder in Georgia (that we know of) at the time of a firearm purchase.

My mission is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sc is done by the FBI and sometimes the Sherrifs office just depends on the place they choose to call. Plus all they do is check your record

take away my guns, use knifes, take away my knifes, use rocks, take away rocks,i starve, sorry for u BRITS out there
  • Options
    shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nics check takes about 2 mins. and no charge.
    Can also be done on the internet. It is less of a hassle that most of the state agencies .
    [8D]