In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9mm loads with Bullseye & 231

max2005max2005 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
Gents:

Been loading for a few years now, and just got some dies for 9mm Luger to start using the TON of brass I've picked up. I use a lot of Bullseye and 231, and figured they would be good places to start. Checked for loads on some of the better boards and loaded up some Bullseye at 4.0 - 4.6 grns with 115 grn FMJ bullet; also same bullet but 231 with grns from 3.9 - 4.4.

The upper loads seemed a bit hot, with some flattened primers (somewhat), especially for the 4.6 231 load - but when I checked the manufacturer's website for load ranges (thinking I was high), they say 4.7 - 5.1 for 231 (I never even got as high as their STARTING load before I felt it was too hot), and Bullseye I stopped at 4.4 as that seemed hot, but Alliant's website says 4.7 is max.

Now, I was in the ballpark with the Bullseye, but the 4.6 of 231 was the hottest feeling loan I tried, and that wasn't even in the STARTING range based on the manufacturers website - Whats up? I found on the loading boards that many others feel mid 4's for 231 is max, but again manufactuer states this isn't even a starting load!

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    For full power loads, I have always used 5.2 Gr of 231 with a 115 gr jacketed bullet. Never a problem and I have shot about 10,000 with that load.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A chronograph is needed to determine if the MV is reaching maximum for the cartridge. Pressures are too low in pistols (35,000 for the 9MM) to rely on primers and feel as indicators of excess pressure.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Don't forget, max loads are based on a certain type of brass, certain primer, certain bullet, and a given lot of powder. If you don't follow the recipe exactly, max loads may be above or below stated max.

I feel no need to hot rod for the range. I use 3.5 gr of Bullseye with a 115 FMJ. Granted 4.5 is nearer to max but I shoot what is more accurate and more comfortable for me. Plus even with mixed components that's safe.

With cast lead I go even lighter- 3 gr, just enough to cycle the action.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on that. The 9mm Luger for some reason seems to have wide variations in its brass. This ranges from varying rim thickness to case-mouth wall thickness and web thickness. It is really a good idea to establish a load based on a given lot of cases. With a pile of fired cases the best you can do is sort by head stamp and then weigh them for case consistency (a PITA I know)and load those as groups. An old edition of the Sierra manual listed a load for the 9mm with Unique that gave a true 1400+ fps with the 115 bullet thru and FBI chrono. The next edition showed a significant reduction in that load. I have prefered Unique and Herco for the 9mm as B'eye always seems to shoot dirty.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I concur that the cases make a tremendous difference for 9mm. I have loaded up 9mm WIN +P brass with 5.2 grains of Unique and get about 1120 fps. When I loaded them up with 6.1 grains of Power Pistol I got 1190 fps.

However, my books say I can go with much more powder, for faster velocities, but the +P cases max out volume wise, and I end up getting compressed or almost compressed loads with these amounts of powder. The results are great--very accurate and a good kick, but I'm well below book maximums for powder.

I've tried WIN 231, but don't get the velocity I want using that powder, either in .380, 9mm, or .45.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load 115 gr 9mms with 4.8 gr of Win 231 or HP38 which they assure us is the same thing. Velocity runs from 1080 - 1150 fps depending on the gun, function is reliable. I have gone as high as 5.4 grains which gets velocity up to approximately 1200 fps but see no advantage. It's not like I am going to war with bulk 9mm reloads.