In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Maynard 1882, 64 cal shotgun shell specs

I have come into ownership of a 1882 Maynard 4 barrel set.

I can not seem to find any measurements for the 64 cal brass shotgun shell, 1882 thin rim. The only thing I know for sure is that the rim has a thickness of approximately .080 inch, as measured from breach face to rear of barrel.

All the info I have in my books and info found on the web so far has not provided any specs.

I know it's not the 20 gauge varient as a 20 gauge brass shell will not fit and the measurements of the chamber and bore do not match.

Was thinking of trying a 24 gauge brass shell, but would like info prior to trying to make that work.

Comments

• rhoperhope Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to my "Cartridges of the World - 10th edition" the Model 1882 Maynard in 64 Maynard "was adapted to a reloadable case of 2 7/16-inch length". It goes on to say "All Maynard shotshells were made with brass cases. This bore diameter corresponds to about 18-gauge".

You say that a 20 gauge shell will not chamber. Do you mean that it will not enter the chamber at all or that it will not go completely into the chamber ?

If it does not go completely into the chamber it could be because of the short chamber. If this is the case you should be able to cut the case back to 2 7/16-inch.

If it will not enter the chamber then it could be that since the chamber was designed for full length brass cases then the thicker paper or plastic cases are too large a diameter. In this case you may have to go to 24 gauge cases.

Another problem you may have is that Maynard cases generally have very thin rims so that the rims of modern shotshell cases may be too thick to chamber.

If you find a solution please post it for everyone's benefit.
  • pjogrincpjogrinc Member Posts: 20
    edited November -1
    No, it's an original 64 Cal barrel and chamber. Got some more info off of some other forums.

Bore is .639, chamber at case mouth is .680 and chamber head diameter is .688 on mine. Definetely within 64 Cal shotgun specs per info recieved on the other forums.

20 gauge is very close as far as chamber dimmensions. 20 Gauge brass shell only goes in to the chamber half way prior to binding up at the enterance to the chamber. 20 gauge shell is about .010 to large in head diameter.