In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Does anyone else here use Magnum primers...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
for all large rifle primer applications? I pretty much use Federal 215's across the board. My thoughts are that they should give a better powder burn, but I was reading someone else's post about primers this morning and it kind of got me wondering if this might explain why my son's '06 is not grouping so well.?.? I still need to try some other powders and possibly play around with the seating depth but the primer post made me wonder... Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "More" is not always better. Generally speaking, the mildest primer that will acceptably ignite the powder will give the best accuracy. Selecting that primer depends on case volume, the particular powder, and the temperature the round will be fired at.

Cases holding less than about 60 grains of water (the most common measurement method) probably don't need magnum primers ever.

Extruded powders don't usually need more than standard primers except with very large charges - related to case volume again.

Shooting in temperatures above freezing doesn't require more than standard primers, unless cases are large, charges are large or spherical powders are being used.

The .30-06 holds about 55 grains of water. With extruded powder, and loads intended for moderate temperature shooting, standard primers will almost certainly be a better choice. That's what it was designed to use.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    "More" is not always better. Generally speaking, the mildest primer that will acceptably ignite the powder will give the best accuracy. Selecting that primer depends on case volume, the particular powder, and the temperature the round will be fired at.

Cases holding less than about 60 grains of water (the most common measurement method) probably don't need magnum primers ever.

Extruded powders don't usually need more than standard primers except with very large charges - related to case volume again.

Shooting in temperatures above freezing doesn't require more than standard primers, unless cases are large, charges are large or spherical powders are being used.

The .30-06 holds about 55 grains of water. With extruded powder, and loads intended for moderate temperature shooting, standard primers will almost certainly be a better choice. That's what it was designed to use.

I reckon I'll try some 210's...
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky took the words right out of my mouth, but he can type them better than me. [:D]

I prefer Winchester STANDARD primers in my 30-06 class rifle loads because the shoot better and more consistently. I do use SRM primers in the 6 and 22BR with Varget
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Does anyone else here use Magnum primers..."

Yes I use them, but just for the magnum applications. [:)]
  • Options
    bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just when I use blc-2
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    AAAC,you also might want to try LR primers along with 50 grains of WW748 behind 150 grain bullets,they work excellent for my '06's,just my two cents