In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nononsense...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
I just read your remarks regarding the Vortex Scopes. I have never seen one of these scopes. How would you rate their products (something like the Viper PST) next to a Leupold VX-III...or even a Mark 4???

If you were buying a scope, would you take the Vortex over a Vari-X III??? Inquiring minds want to know... [:)][8D]

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    You got me curious about this powder. Have you experimented with it in the .338 RUM??? Thanks!

quote:IdahoRedneck,

I left this alone since you asked for JustC's information but the bump reminded me that I still have some data sitting around from my testing a while back.

In general, US869 is an extremely slow powder, making it suitable for some applications with large capacity cases or large cases necked down for smaller calibers.

I didn't find a suitable load node for this powder in the .300 RUM even when I was using the longer 210 VLD bullets. It was running about 100 FPS slower than my loads with Retumbo and Re-25. It's also a bit less efficient.

But I did get better results when I used the US869 in the 7mm RUM with the 180 gr. VLD bullets. Good velocity and better efficiency. Similar results occurred when I was testing the .338 Extreme cartridge.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is it possible to rework a Remington 700 trigger? I have a Sendero in 25-06 and the trigger pull is over 10.5 lbs. I'd love to drop a Jewel in it, but I was wondering if a competent gunsmith could reduce the trigger pull to down around <1 lb...preferably about 8 oz.?.?

I had a Weatherby SVM trigger reworked once and it was just as nice as my Jewel trigger. Is it possible to do this with a 700 trigger?

I'm also curious to know whether it's worth it to swap out the J Lock bolt shroud on this rifle? Thanks! [8D]
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AAAC,

I don't want to offend any of the Leupold supporters on the forums but I would take a Vortex Viper PST over any Leupold product for the pricing and quality alone. Leupold, like our representatives, has lost contact with it's customers and has remained entrenched in it's past glory days. They have become passe and significantly overpriced in their upper end offerings including but not limited to the highly vaunted Mark 4.

I suggest taking some time to look through the Vortex Viper scopes and then compare prices with any others in that category. I happen to like their reticles as well. But I also understand that everyone's eyes see things differently and scopes are obviously in that arena. What works for me may not be suitable for others. That's why I try to suggest getting to a store that has several variations of scopes physically on hand to compare while looking through them.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    AAAC,

I don't want to offend any of the Leupold supporters on the forums but I would take a Vortex Viper PST over any Leupold product for the pricing and quality alone. Leupold, like our representatives, has lost contact with it's customers and has remained entrenched in it's past glory days. They have become passe and significantly overpriced in their upper end offerings including but not limited to the highly vaunted Mark 4.

I suggest taking some time to look through the Vortex Viper scopes and then compare prices with any others in that category. I happen to like their reticles as well. But I also understand that everyone's eyes see things differently and scopes are obviously in that arena. What works for me may not be suitable for others. That's why I try to suggest getting to a store that has several variations of scopes physically on hand to compare while looking through them.

Best.

Thanks for the feedback. I like to compare them side by side. I just got one of those new Weaver high end scopes in for a customer and I set it up next to a Vari-X III and it didn't even come close to the Leupold in clarity. I had them both set on the same power and I was looking at a steeple on a school building 310 yards away. I could literally see the paint flaking off with the Leupold, but the Weaver didn't show that kind of detail. I've heard folks tout that particular Weaver as being as good as a Mark 4...when in reality, it doesn't even come close to the VX-III's.

I really want to check out the Vortex now...I like the features they incorporate into the design. I'm not a fan of illuminated reticles, but that really doesn't matter too much...
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NN - thank you for the clear concise feedback regarding scopes, appreciated. [^]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ditched My Vari-X III's for Burris Signatures a while back and could not be happier. the MK IV's were swapped out for NXS's. As Nononsense has stated, many of us have noticed their quality not being on par with their pricing for a decade or more, and Leupold has suffered for it.