In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old Timers...Need load for 25-20 Single Shot

litetriggerlitetrigger Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
Just got a nice Stevens in 25-20 single shot. Anyone know of good loads for it? I will try cast & modern bullets. Thanks

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here you go ... http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=354555&SearchTerms=25-20,SS

I would limit my use of copper jacketed bullets. Cast bullets are way easier on those soft older barrels.
  • 1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For just plinking around, I use Trail Boss powder. I'm not at home right now, and I can't remember the weight of the charge -- but it fills the case to just below the seated (cast) bullet.

(Trail Boss recommends finding the charge that will fill the case to the base of the seated bullet and reduce that by 30% for a starting load - work up from there. I have tried this in several calibers, and have ended up with almost a full case with no problems.)

It is not a barnburner -- I get just under 1500 fps in the .25-20SS and good enough accuracy for plinking fun.

If you don't cast your own bullets, look at seller 22hornetfan on the auction side. I have bought a couple of boxes of his cast bullets, and they are really nice quality.